Spring Training in Scottsdale first timer

1,793 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OldSaltAg
OldSaltAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have advice for how to attend spring training events? Do I need to purchase tickets? What time should I show up to the venues, etc?
RigsTx
AG
OldSaltAg said:

Does anyone have advice for how to attend spring training events? Do I need to purchase tickets? What time should I show up to the venues, etc?

What team are you trying to see the most? The venues can be quite spread out. (Surprise - Rangers/Royals is in NW Phoenix Metro while Mesa - A's/Cubs is in SE Phoenix Metro) It can take an hour or longer to get to those fields depending on where you are staying.

As far as tickets, the Cubs/Dodgers/Giants sell out the majority of their "season" tickets because of the following they have. Almost all the stadiums will have GA berm seating that you should be able to purchase. Unless it is one of those three teams playing the other. Then it could get dicey.

You need to go eat at Don and Charlie's while you are there. They have more sports memorabilia than you can imagine. Pretty fun to look at the walls and see who all has eaten there.

Phoenix in February/March is perfect. Enjoy yourself.
OldSaltAg
We are staying in Scottsdale. My son would like to see the Cubs, but honestly it doesn't matter. If it would be a lot easier to see other teams, then that's probably what we'll do.
Velvet Jones
AG
I hit the Cactus League 2 years ago for the first time and I was instantly hooked. It's a fantastic experience and I'm looking forward to crossing another 2 ballparks off my list next month.

I'd definitely suggest buying tickets ahead of time (I got mine as soon as they went on sale), especially for anything involving the three teams listed earlier in the thread. Their games are always packed (most are near sellouts in my experience).

Rental cars in Phoenix are cheap, and cheaper than an uber ride to and from some of the western stadiums, which I'd strongly encourage you to visit if time allows. Peoria Stadium (Padres/Mariners) is my favorite venue of the ones visited, and has by far the cheapest beer. Nearby Surprise stadium (Royals/Rangers) is also an outstanding venue - try to work out a day/night double header and see both yards.

In Scottsdale you've got the Giants, which I'm hitting for the first time this year, and just north is the fantastic Salt River Stadium (DBacks/Rockies) which is a must visit. Tempe Diablo stadium (Angels) is the smallest and oldest park (originally built for the Pilots) and feels like it, but it has by far the best access to players in the Cactus League if that's your thing.

Enjoy your trip!
RigsTx
AG
Also, if you go out to some of the 'B' fields, you can get up close and personal to some of the players. Most of the complexes have multiple fields where games/practices are taking place.

OldSaltAg
What is a good link to find stadium and team locations?
Velvet Jones
AG
https://cactusleague.com/ is a great place to start.
OldSaltAg
OldSaltAg
We have tickets to a Tuesday and Wednesday game. Is there anything for the kids to do before or after games, such as seeing their favorite players?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.