Astros Cheating Question

1,703 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by kb2001
Alta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apologies if I missed it but I read the release on the cheating scandal but was a bit shocked players weren't suspended if what they said is true. If this was orchestrated by certain players who are making millions why not give them some sort of consequence? Seems a bit silly to just suspend the coach and general manager. Is there a reason for this approach?
Harry Stone
AG
Yes, basically the commish didnt want to go up against the Players Union on this so he gave the astros players a free pass.
Deluxe
AG
Alta said:

Apologies if I missed it but I don't follow baseball that closely. I read the release on the cheating scandal but was a bit shocked players weren't suspended if what they said is true. If this was orchestrated by certain players who are making millions why not give them some sort of consequence? Seems a bit silly to just suspend the coach and general manager. Is there a reason for this approach?

Manfred laid out his rationale for not punishing players in his report yesterday but it's mostly because the MLBPA wouldn't tolerate it.
Alta
AG
Thanks - just curious. Seems very strange to me.
Danny Vermin
The "title" should be stripped. It was not earned fair and square and will always have an asterisk beside it.
Mr.Bond
AG
Danny Vermin said:

The "title" should be stripped. It was not earned fair and square and will always have an asterisk beside it.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
Also if you start diving into punishing players involved or those who participated where's the line?

You punish anyone who benefited? You do that for every team that did it?

You be looking at punishing a big chunk of players.
JCA1
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Username checks out.
Kashchei
AG
Danny Vermin said:

Should they strip the Red Sox's 18 title? What about all the titles won during the steroid era? Vacating titles is as stupid as vacating NCs or Heisman trophies. Everyone knows who the best team was.

Reversed roles I would say the same thing if the Rangers won the WS.
JCA1
AG
Kashchei said:

Danny Vermin said:

Should they strip the Red Sox's 18 title? What about all the titles won during the steroid era? Vacating titles is as stupid as vacating NCs or Heisman trophies. Everyone knows who the best team was.

Don't forget all the titles won with nail files, vasoline, greenies, and corked bats.
Tom Hagen
AG
Danny Vermin said:

LOL. Gamesmanship is not cheating.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Kashchei said:

Danny Vermin said:

The Rangers could have the first and third-base coaches holding cue cards saying what the the next pitch coming on them is and still finish 79-83.
MaxPower
Danny Vermin said:

Doesn't matter, had WS sex.
Wabs
AG
Danny Vermin said:

LOL. Sports much?
45-70Ag
AG
Stripping it wouldn't do anything.
The astros could keep the banner hanging, they've already got rings.

Like Reggie Bush being stripped of the heisman, didn't erase he won the trophy.
wbt5845
AG
Irish_Man said:

Stripping it wouldn't do anything.
The astros could keep the banner hanging, they've already got rings.

Like Reggie Bush being stripped of the heisman, didn't erase he won the trophy.
Yeah, it is irrelevant. What you instead can do is, when your buddies mention WS titles, just smirk a little, chuckle, and just say "OK. The dismissive response to boasts about cheating is the most effective.
kb2001
AG
Alta said:

Apologies if I missed it but I don't follow baseball that closely. I read the release on the cheating scandal but was a bit shocked players weren't suspended if what they said is true. If this was orchestrated by certain players who are making millions why not give them some sort of consequence? Seems a bit silly to just suspend the coach and general manager. Is there a reason for this approach?

Manfred's announcement in 2017 to stop using electronica for unfair advantages specifically said if a team is found to be doing it, that the manager and GM would be held accountable for it. Too difficult to assess levels of culpability to players. Some may be participating, some may be aware but silent about it, etc

The recent report states this as to why Hinch and Lunhow were suspended
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.