2020 Offseason - Free Agency - General Discussion

6,928 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by . . .
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W
AG
the Jean Segura experiment may be over in Philly. Or one of them will play second base. Phillies are going to have a massive payroll in 2020
Token
AG
Cole to the yankees, 9/324. Let's ****ing go
Mr.Bond
AG
Beyond ridiculous. But if anyone would do something this stupid..... It's the death star
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

toucan82
Damn. I really should have been a professional baseball player.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
toucan82 said:

Damn. I really should have been a professional baseball player.

Or an agent. Lifetime earnings are probably higher as an agent. Just need 7 or 8 clients each year that get $10-20M contracts. Gravy Train indeed!
LonghornDub
Token said:

Cole to the yankees, 9/324. Let's ****ing go
Shave and a haircut, two bits. More expensive now, and he'll have to do it to play for the Yankees, but I do believe he can afford it. Probably make his wife happy.

I like him but can honestly say I wouldn't want my team taking that big a risk.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

saltydog13
AG
how Many horrible long-term contracts will it take for teams to realize they never turn out well?
The Milkman
AG
saltydog13 said:

how Many horrible long-term contracts will it take for teams to realize they never turn out well?
Tell that to Max Scherzer. His has worked out pretty nicely. The first 5 of his 7 years has includes 2 Cy-Youngs and top 5 in the other 3 years.
Carlo4
AG
The Milkman said:

saltydog13 said:

Tell that to Max Scherzer. His has worked out pretty nicely. The first 5 of his 7 years has includes 2 Cy-Youngs and top 5 in the other 3 years.
You never hear about the ones that worked out.... like the Derek Jeter's or this contract...
Token
AG
saltydog13 said:

A-rod's first contract and the first half of his second 10 year contract were great. As were Jeter's (as mentioned above), CC Sabathia's, Mike Mussina's, Dave Winfield's, Trout's, Felix Hernandez etc.

There are A LOT that work very well. Not all of them turn out to be ellsbury, vernon wells, shin shoo choo, Ken Griffey, etc
saltydog13
AG
I should not have said "never", because there are those that do work out. In my opinion, the contract isn't worth it if there isn't a World Series ring during that time. That's just a long commitment to a player you're stuck with until they're almost 40 and one guy doesn't win championships
Propane & Accessories
AG
Mets Signed
  • Micheal Wacha, hope he has a bounce back season, will benefit from a pitcher friendly Citi Field, will not like a Mets defense that is a bit suspect at times.
  • Rick Porcello-2016 AL Cy Young award

Mets needed one more starter so some minor chatter that they might trade a starter like Noah Syndergaard, some rumors have stated that the Mets and Astros have had talks about a Carlos Correa trade. I doubt either will be moved, I see this as a spring training competition between Wacha and Porcello with the winning pitcher getting the 5th starter spot and loser going to the pen and going into the rotation if there is an injury or poor play.
Deluxe
AG
I think the synergies are there for the Astros/Mets and a deal centered around Correa/Syndergaard. Will be interesting to see if they can get something done.
. . .
WoMD
. . . said:

This is very sad, but at least he didn't sign with the Dodgers.

A part of me thinks he was only talking to the Dodgers so that it wouldn't make his signing elsewhere sting as much.

Regardless, that seems like a relatively reasonable contract compared to the other monstrosities out there nowadays, and one that the giants could've easily afforded even though they're in rebuilding mode. Oh well. End of an era...
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15
AG
What an offseason for Boras

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
. . .
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG

Big money in Arb
FDXAg
AG
At 5% commission, which is the standard, he'll have made over $40 million this past December alone! In basically one week!
. . .
Aggie1205
AG
Starling Marte traded to Arizona.
Farmer1906
AG
Looks like a Betts deal should happen any day now. I cannot imagine not being able to keep the franchise player, but have Price, Sale, JD, Pedoria (still paying), Bogaerts, and Evoldi locked in.
Farmer1906
AG
Dodgers going all the way in.

03_Aggie
Farmer1906 said:

Dodgers going all the way in.

Trying to up their sign stealing and pine tar game.
. . .

Quote:

The Brewers are close to agreement with Yelich on a new nine-year contract in the $215 million range, major-league sources told The Athletic on Tuesday. The deal is expected to be announced Friday at the team's spring-training facility in Maryvale, AZ.

Yelich, 28, currently is owed $12.5 million this season and $14 million next season with a $15 million club option. His new deal will eliminate the club option, and add seven years, bringing the total value to the $215 million range, sources said.

Some of the money will be deferred, and the average annual value for those seven years would be in the $27 million range, still below-market value for a player of Yelich's caliber. Angels center fielder Mike Trout currently is baseball's highest-paid position player at $35.541 million per season. Angels third baseman Anthony Rendon is next at $35 million
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.