2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

8,293 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good luck
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
JJxvi said:

Good luck

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.
W
AG
regarding Larry Walker...

it is nice to see a small market player get in the Hall.

he played 6 years in Montreal

9 years in Colorado and 2 years in St. Louis. Never on the east or west coast.

only made it to the postseason 3 times in 17 years...and 2 of them were with the Cardinals in his final pro seasons
_lefraud_
AG
I use to be the guy calling Jeter overrated and what not, as I hate the Yankees. But the longer and longer he played, you just can't ignore his greatness. Lots of people thought he was replaceable, or anyone could have been plugged into the SS on those teams and produced, but that clearly wasn't the case, especially as he got older.

Not everyone can handle the NY spotlight, and/or live up to the hype, the expectations of being a top 10 pick, and the face of the franchise for almost 2 decades. The guy was a winner, and had the metrics to back his hall of fame resume.

Plus his resume of women is truly unbelievable, and may be his most impressive accomplishment. That in and of itself should make him a first ballot hall of famer.
94chem
JJxvi said:

In addition to all this nonsense BS about %'s the MLB HoF also makes ridiculous distinctions between first ballot hall of famers and those who take multiple votes. I can see a (pretty weak) argument that Jeter isn't a first ballot Hall of Famer. He's arguably a Barry Larkin/Alan Trammell level player who happened to play for the Yankees. Obviously he probably should be a first ballot guy, but really I'm way more surprised that only one person left him off because of the first ballot thing than I am that he wasn't unanimous

Both arguments are good. He's a no doubt first ballot Hall of Famer, but he also benefitted by playing in NY. Adrian Beltre was a better player than Jeter, buy he won't come anywhere close to unanimous. Jeter takes a victory lap farewell tour. Beltre cracks 8 HR in September, tips his cap, and walks off the diamond. Give me Beltre's game over Jeter's any day.
Marvin
AG
The video of Walker getting the phone call was awesome. Google it.
Mort Rainey
Mr.Bond said:

Those guys I mentioned were definitely more or at the very least as deserving of unanimous votes. If they didn't receive it then that's the standard
Because something was dumb in the past, that becomes the standard? Abysmal logic
Mr.Bond
AG
Mabel Choate said:

Mr.Bond said:

Those guys I mentioned were definitely more or at the very least as deserving of unanimous votes. If they didn't receive it then that's the standard
Because something was dumb in the past, that becomes the standard? Abysmal logic
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

94chem
Marvin said:

Moxley said:

Jeter one vote shy of being unanimous.

That one voter should lose his ability to cast another one. Just dumb.

Probably the father of one of Jeter's rentals.
Yellerjacket
Don't kill me. I don't follow the Hall of Fame stuff closely.
I always thought Omar Vizquel was a sure-fire Hall of Famer.
It looks like he has been eligible for a while. How is he not in?
Was he not as great as I thought he was???
JJxvi
AG
I wouldnt vote for him. Only a 3 time all-star,only once did he ever get MVP votes, and even in that year three other players at his position finished higher than him in the league in the voting.

He's a no stick all defense player, the only reason he's remotely considered is because despite the crappy bat he managed to accumulate 24 years of adding up some counting stats.
Yellerjacket
JJxvi said:

I wouldnt vote for him. Only a 3 time all-star,only once did he ever get MVP votes, and even in that year three other players at his position finished higher than him in the league in the voting.

He's a no stick all defense player, the only reason he's remotely considered is because despite the crappy bat he managed to accumulate 24 years of adding up some counting stats.
Wow. Never would have guessed only 3 time all-star. Looking back at his stats, looked like he was a decent hitter with very little power. I guess I can see why he would be left out. I just remember how great he was with his glove.
Mr.Ackar07
Yellerjacket said:

JJxvi said:

Wow. Never would have guessed only 3 time all-star. Looking back at his stats, looked like he was a decent hitter with very little power. I guess I can see why he would be left out. I just remember how great he was with his glove.
Here's a good article about his defense and that he might not have been as great as we think: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jaws-and-the-2020-hall-of-fame-ballot-omar-vizquel/
JJxvi
AG
The player that people should vote for next year because of the contribution of outstanding defense to his offense would not be Vizquel but Andruw Jones
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Moxley said:

Jeter one vote shy of being unanimous.

That one voter should lose his ability to cast another one. Just dumb.

I still think it's perfectly valid to not vote for him if you're voting for a full 10 of guys who've been on the ballet longer. It's not like this vote is keeping Jeter out. It's trying to get others in.
PacifistAg
AG
W
AG
Vizquel is a very interesting case.

as previously mentioned he was only a 3-time all-star. But of course he played in the era of Jeter, Nomar, Tejada, and some Cal Ripken. Wasn't going to beat any of those guys for all-star votes.

note...Jeff Bagwell was only a 4-time all-star.

on the flipside...I didn't realize how dreadful his MVP voting numbers were. Only finished in the top 25 one time (#16 in 1999) in 24 professional seasons. That is really bad. Terra-bad.

however his career BA is .272 ---- which is good. And he stole 404 career bases
94chem
W said:

Vizquel is a very interesting case.

as previously mentioned he was only a 3-time all-star. But of course he played in the era of Jeter, Nomar, Tejada, and some Cal Ripken. Wasn't going to beat any of those guys for all-star votes.

note...Jeff Bagwell was only a 4-time all-star.

on the flipside...I didn't realize how dreadful his MVP voting numbers were. Only finished in the top 25 one time (#16 in 1999) in 24 professional seasons. That is really bad. Terra-bad.

however his career BA is .272 ---- which is good. And he stole 404 career bases

Before you put Omar Vizquel in, you have to convince me that he was better than Julio Franco.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.