2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

8,298 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
West Point Aggie
AG
I see but ONE unanimous entry...the rest...ehhh...hope that effin tea sip never gets in!
Let’s Go Brandon!
W
AG
Adam Dunn should get some votes for being a man ahead of his time.

he was mister one true outcome...before the term existed
astros4545
AG
Putz
Heath Bell
Valverde

You should lose your vote if they aren't first ballot entrees
Ags #1
AG
So its jeter and who else?
Mr.Ackar07
I'd vote:

Bonds
Clemens
Helton
Jeter
Kent
Schilling
Sheffield
Wagner
Walker

I'd listen to input for including Pettitte, Rolen, or Vizquel, and for removing Helton from the list.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
My ballot would be:

Jeter
Schilling
Sheffield

Maybe Walker.
Mathguy64
AG
Jeter
Bonds
Clemens
Shilling

Its time for the steroid stigma to lift. With this ballot and how thin it is this is Bonds and Clemens best chance they will ever get.

Helton and Walker were very much products of their home field. Nope for me.

Kent is the Hall of Very Good.

I'm torn on Wagner.
safety guy
AG
Billy Wagner should not get in. Neither should pettite. Andy will get in because he's a yankee and was great in post season. But he was never great. He belongs in the hall of very good. Wagner is trash as far as I am concerned. Look at his playoff stats. They are beyond horrible. Sure, there are some players who have poor postseason stats but with few games. Billy had a lot of postseason appearances and an era at 10. Hall of fame, hardly.
South Platte
mathguy86 said:

Jeter
Bonds
Clemens
Shilling

Its time for the steroid stigma to lift. With this ballot and how thin it is this is Bonds and Clemens best chance they will ever get.

Kent is the Hall of Very Good.

I'm torn on Wagner.
Agree, add Sosa. Eventually add Rolen and Manny.
94chem
If you think the #3 closer of all-time should get in, then Wagner and/or Joe Nathan should get in. If you think it should be limited to Hoffman and Rivera, then Wagner would be a NO.

Among current closers likely to enter this conversation in the next 10 years, we have Chapman and Kimbrel.

The next quandary for the voters will be what to do with outstanding middle relievers. This is really only a position that began <25 years ago, starting when Rivera was the 8th inning guy in NY. Now with guys like Chapman, Britton, and Andrew Miller dominating in the 7th and 8th inning, the Hold may become the Holy Grail. I'm sure Bill James will help us sort all of this out.
South Platte
94chem said:

If you think the #3 closer of all-time should get in, then Wagner and/or Joe Nathan should get in. If you think it should be limited to Hoffman and Rivera, then Wagner would be a NO.

Among current closers likely to enter this conversation in the next 10 years, we have Chapman and Kimbrel.

The next quandary for the voters will be what to do with outstanding middle relievers. This is really only a position that began <25 years ago, starting when Rivera was the 8th inning guy in NY. Now with guys like Chapman, Britton, and Andrew Miller dominating in the 7th and 8th inning, the Hold may become the Holy Grail. I'm sure Bill James will help us sort all of this out.
I don't follow. There are several closers in the HOF.
94chem
South Platte said:

94chem said:

I don't follow. There are several closers in the HOF.
I'm only considering modern closers. Guys like Eck, Sutter, Lee, Gossage were all relief pitchers who also closed. Eck was a pure closer, but he also had great numbers as a starter.
LeonardSkinner
I'm underwhelmed as well.

Jeter's in. He's highly overrated IMO, but would get in even if he was more reasonably evaluated.

Bonds and Clemens have the PED issue, and Schilling has a likeability problem.

I've looked elsewhere, and based on stats, Larry Walker should get in. Raw numbers are as good as, or better than Jeter's, in 800 fewer games.
Farmer1906
AG
Bonds
Clemens
Dunn - maybe, need to look more closely
Jeter
Kent
Ramirez
Schilling
Sheffield - maybe, need to look more closely
Soriano - maybe, need to look more closely
Wagner
Walker
bigjag19
AG
Anyone that doesn't vote Jeter should lose their vote. Can't argue with his success. He was a good baseball player too.
Ag_07
AG
Is there a criteria for getting on the ballot or is that just basically a list of guys who are now/still eligible?

Because why even bother putting some of the guys on the ballot?
diehard03
Quote:

So, you're basically saying that no Rockies should ever get in the Hall.
Farmer1906
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Walker spent 8 seasons outside of Colorado early and late and his career. Even outside of Corrs he had an .880 OPS.
Mathguy64
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I think all Rockies players should be looked at very carefully and their numbers carefully considered given the altitude and sheer size of that park. Here is Larry Walker:

Career: WAR 72.2, 383 HR, slash lines of .313/.400/.565 OPS .965, 141 OPS+ Those are fantastic numbers. HoF numbers. But wait...

Home and Away splits:
(H) 215 HR, .348/.431/.673, OPS 1.068
(A) 186 HR, .278/.370/.495, OPS .865

He's getting a big home boost. Sure many players have a better home split than away, but this is big. And its worse than this because here are his two big home parks: Coors and the Expos park.

Coors: 600 games, .381/.462/.710 OPS 1.172
Expos: 350 games .293/.373/.578 OPS .890

His Expos numbers look like his overall away numbers as a more normal home/away split. His Coors Field splits are crazy numbers. I mean they are 30-40% better. He was a product of playing at altitude and I a huge field.

Larry Walker is a product of Coors Field. He was a very good player, but for me he's not a HoF player.

And Todd Helton? Its the same. His home/away splits are huge and he's only played at Coors so its even easier to see. Good player, not a HoF player
South Platte
mathguy86 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

I think all Rockies players should be looked at very carefully and their numbers carefully considered given the altitude and sheer size of that park. Here is Larry Walker:

Career: WAR 72.2, 383 HR, slash lines of .313/.400/.565 OPS .965, 141 OPS+ Those are fantastic numbers. HoF numbers. But wait...

Home and Away splits:

He's getting a big home boost. Sure many players have a better home split than away, but this is big. And its worse than this because here are his two big home parks: Coors and the Expos park.

His Expos numbers look like his overall away numbers as a more normal home/away split. His Coors Field splits are crazy numbers. I mean they are 30-40% better. He was a product of playing at altitude and I a huge field.

Larry Walker is a product of Coors Field. He was a very good player, but for me he's not a HoF player.

And Todd Helton? Its the same. His home/away splits are huge and he's only played at Coors so its even easier to see. Good player, not a HoF player
They've let Biggio and Baines in. The floodgates are open. Helton, Walker, and Matt Holliday should get serious consideration as well.
diehard03
Quote:

Home and Away splits:

That's a lot of words to say "yep. No Rockies ever".
Farmer1906
AG
South Platte said:

mathguy86 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Home and Away splits:

They've let Biggio and Baines in. The floodgates are open. Helton, Walker, and Matt Holliday should get serious consideration as well.
Obvious troll?
the last of the bohemians
Can their be two entries for Bonds and Clemens, pre juice and post juice.....because I'm pretty sure the pre juiced Bonds and Clemens are HoF
South Platte
the last of the bohemians said:

Can their be two entries for Bonds and Clemens, pre juice and post juice.....because I'm pretty sure the pre juiced Bonds and Clemens are HoF
We don't even need that. Clemens and Bonds should be in. So should most of the juicers. It's a joke some of these guys aren't in. And I didn't even like most of them.
TXAggie2011
AG
Larry Walker and Todd Helton hit much better at home than they did away. No doubt, that's not a question.

BUT, their away splits are also pretty much identical to Ken Griffey Jr.'s.

Larry Walker and Griffey came into the league the same season.

Walker's away splits: .278/.370/.495
Griffey's away splits: .272/.355/.505

Helton came in a little later, but his away splits are: .287/.386/.469.

I'm not saying "hit as good at Ken Griffey Jr. on the road, and you should go to the Hall of Fame"; I'm just saying the analysis can't stop at "they were better at Coors Field."
Schall 02
AG
No love for Manny Ramirez? He had a career OPS of .996. Clear HOFer.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ramirma02.shtml
Schall 02
AG
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikedowling/2019/11/25/manny-ramirez-deserves-more-from-the-hall-of-fame/
South Platte
Schall 02 said:

No love for Manny Ramirez? He had a career OPS of .996. Clear HOFer.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ramirma02.shtml

Yep. He was an incredible hitter. Best plate awareness of anyone in baseball for 5-10 years. I don't think juicing helps with that.
Mathguy64
AG
ManRam has 0% chance of ever stepping foot in the HoF as a member. Getting busted once was bad. Getting busted a second time and then quitting baseball to avoid the suspension? Not going to happen.
the last of the bohemians
Manny, Bonds, Clemens....all HoF in a world driven by common sense instead of PC
birdman
Jeter and pass on everybody else.
Know Your Enemy
AG
If you're including the juicers then Sammy Sosa has to be in.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Junkhead said:

If you're including the juicers then Sammy Sosa has to be in.

Don't forget Rafael Palmeiro.
BCSWguru
dont forget Ted Simmons, somehow made it into the HOF yesterday. With this and Baines, the HOF is becoming a joke.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.