*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,873 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beau Bevers said:

ASU's park used to be the home of the Phoenix Firebirds, old Giants AAA affiliate. Those dimensions would probably be ok. Grand Canyon? Launching pad.

You saw the London series right? That's what all the game would be like played at ASU.
n_touch
So all the teams are gonna steal signs if the play in Arizona?
agdaddy04
AG
amercer said:

It's hard to imagine fans in stadiums in the next 6 months.

10,000 people all a foot apart? I think any sports we get for the near future will be in empty stadiums, so they might as well get on with in. Get the NBA to Vegas, MLB to Arizona, and the NFL better find a spot in Texas with 15 quality fields within a 50 mile radius.

I'd go in a heartbeat if I was single. Alas I'm not and that's not the hill I want to die in. Wife is a germaphobe in good times.
BMX Bandit
amercer said:

10,000 people all a foot apart? I think any sports we get for the near future will be in empty stadiums, so they might as well get on with in. Get the NBA to Vegas, MLB to Arizona, and the NFL better find a spot in Texas with 15 quality fields within a 50 mile radius.

It's not remotely feasible for football.
Exsurge Domine
I'm hopeful golf comes back pretty quickly
agproducer
AG
I don't know about you guys, but I really, truly miss baseball. This whole pandemic is awful. I'm ok with the social distancing. Actually, I thought I'd miss being around my friends most. I've been at home for almost a month and I'm struggling without the sport... any sport!

It really sucks to wake every morning, work all day from home, then have no escape at night.

I've been getting outside to run and doing body weight exercises. I also doing the video game thing by playing The Show. I've caught pieces of classic games on MLB Network.

What's everyone else here doing while we have no Astros, no MLB?

Should we do a TexAgs The Show league?
n_touch
Yes we should. Im game for being a punching bag.
Bregxit
AG
I'm in!
Bulldog73
AG
I would be, but I'm cheap and still only have 19. I'd be great at swinging behind every fastball and ahead of every off speed pitch. And if it's a slider, I'm swinging no matter where it is in relation to the strike zone.
agproducer
AG
I just setup the league The Show. It is called TexAgs, and it is invite only. So, post your PSN name here and I'll send the invite.

In the league, you choose your team, but use your diamond dynasty team. That way we aren't arguing over who gets the Astros. I chose the Brewers. My outfield has Griffey, JD Martinez and Laureano.

Pitching and batting settings are at all-star levels, but we can drop to veteran if folks want to. I also included the DH.

Bregxit
AG
PSN: maytheus
Mr.Bond
AG
TxAggie007
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
amercer said:

Houston could handle that easily. With Reliant, U of H TDECU, TSU, Rice then add in large high school district stadiums like Berry Center, Katy ISD, Northshore etc etc etc. Hell most high schools are turfed and could support practices
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'm an lollpoor who only has 19, no intention of buying 20 and doesn't pay for PlayStation online capabilities...
Pahdz
To get my sports fix I'm watching all the iracing that NASCAR and Indycar are doing on Fox and NBC. Granted, I'm a motorsports fan to begin with, but they have all the actual drivers racing the tracks they should be at each weekend, with the normal TV crews calling the races.
spadilly
S
This is why the Arizona deal won't happen...can't separate families.

Farmer1906
AG
That tune may change if it means the difference between getting paid and not.
Ag_07
AG
Not to sound too terribly heartless but these guys are away from family 1/2 the season (3 months maybe).

Granted it's not all at one time but let's not act like baseball players have a nice, cozy, completely typical home life during the season.

They don't play major league ball so they can have a job that allows them to spend time with their families.
JABQ04
AG
spadilly said:

This is why the Arizona deal won't happen...can't separate families.

Just being an A-hole here but that argument gets no sympathy from me. For the amount they're getting paid they can suck it up playing a game and spending their off time in 5 star hotels for a month maybe two tops. I spent 33 months over seas (three different trips) for peanuts compared to baseball players. Hell we got folks stocking her grocery store shelves so her shipt driver can run the risk of exposure for her. I look at it as the service the players provide would be a morale boost for the nation and a sense of comfort and normalcy during this weird time. Just my .02.
expresswrittenconsent
The Arizona deal ain't gonna happen because it is incredibly stupid and logistically impossible. If it is a starting point of them brainstorming towards actual good ideas then great, but as a solution it is so freaking dumb it shouldn't have made it out of the brainstorm session.
redline248
AG
I assume that is Colin McHugh's wife...

Her Twitter profile says "frequently relocated by MLB." Not sure I would give much thought to her opinion.

By the way, what do these wives/kids do on long road trips? I get that it's weeks and not months, but they already spend extended time away from home. I doubt mom is pulling kids out of school to go to LA, Seattle and Cleveland in April/May.
Farmer1906
AG
I fully understand the perspective of the families. The plan to play in AZ is pretty bat **** crazy.

But I also want my baseball. Everyone is taking risks and doing things we're not enjoying. I would prefer they suck it up and do it.
BMX Bandit
redline248 said:

I assume that is Colin McHugh's wife...

Her Twitter profile says "frequently relocated by MLB." Not sure I would give much thought to her opinion.

By the way, what do these wives/kids do on long road trips? I get that it's weeks and not months, but they already spend extended time away from home. I doubt mom is pulling kids out of school to go to LA, Seattle and Cleveland in April/May.

You posted you understand a typical baseball road trip is much shorter than the several months this would be.

So you don't understand why this is significantly different thing?
Bulldog73
AG
I know it sets up weird off days and odd numbers of teams off but what if they just had all AL play in FL and NL play in AZ. It alleviates need for double headers and reduces amount of people using facilities and all staying in such a single area.
amercer
AG
Some sports league is going to start first, get enormous ratings and coverage, and then there will be enormous pressure on all the others.

Players may not like the idea of being quarantined in some distant city with the whole league, but I bet they will like it a lot more than not getting paid.
Bregxit
AG
agproducer said:

I just setup the league The Show. It is called TexAgs, and it is invite only. So, post your PSN name here and I'll send the invite.

In the league, you choose your team, but use your diamond dynasty team. That way we aren't arguing over who gets the Astros. I chose the Brewers. My outfield has Griffey, JD Martinez and Laureano.

Pitching and batting settings are at all-star levels, but we can drop to veteran if folks want to. I also included the DH.

AG
Bregxit said:

agproducer said:

Great. We have only got 4 or 5 in so far. N_touch may have an option where we have more competition. We can also solicit other Ags on the baseball board to join. I'm standing by.
Mr.Bond
AG
I'll join by tonight
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

agproducer
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I'll join by tonight

Sent the invite.
JABQ04
AG
Is this PlayStation only?
Bregxit
AG
JABQ04 said:

Is this PlayStation only?
Until next year yes.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
JABQ04 said:

I spent 33 months over seas (three different trips) for peanuts compared to baseball players.

Apples and oranges for the simple fact that you agreed to do that with full knowledge of the situation upfront. This wasn't part of the deal they agreed to, and they have a right to voice their concerns. Yes they're still paid millions to play a game and I don't feel sorry for them, but the overseas thing is irrelevant.
Ag_07
AG
At the same time they're getting to stay home full time with their families now and they're getting a paycheck for it.
CoachRTM
AG
....making me want to buy a playstation and have it shipped to me.....
Bregxit
AG
CoachRTM said:

....making me want to buy a playstation and have it shipped to me.....

Order one from Target or Best Buy and they'll bring it out to your car.
First Page Last Page
Page 202 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.