*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,291 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
spadilly said:

Are these for sale anywhere or just at that one brewery?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

tjack16
AG
I'm hoping I get Refunded on my opening weekend tickets from stubhub. Right now it's showing it as a past event since the date passed and it hasn't been "cancelled" yet
spadilly
S
We got ours at the Flying Saucer in Sugar Land.
spadilly
S
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/04/06/report-mlb-mlbpa-discussing-potential-to-play-all-games-in-arizona/

Quote:

Per Ronald Blum of the Associated Press, Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have been discussing the idea of playing the 2020 season entirely in Arizona. The state has 10 spring training parks as well as Chase Field, home to the Diamondbacks.
bearkatag15
AG
Whatever gets them playing again this year I'm ok with.
agdaddy04
AG
If they play, I'm good.
Ag_07
AG
That sounds awful. Not being able to go any games and watching on TV in a late time zone.

How in the world will 30 teams play in 11 stadiums?
Bulldog73
AG
I'm assuming double headers in every park every day. Still only 22 could play, but it's better than none.

I don't see any way the stadiums and fields could support that much play though.
Ag_07
AG
I do know one thing...Our guys would be getting off the hook big time if they played in AR or in front of no fans. That would be the best case scenario for avoiding the shlt show we were expecting from opposing fans.

So we got that going for us.
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

I do know one thing...Our guys would be getting off the hook big time if they played in AR or in front of no fans. That would be the best case scenario for avoiding the shlt show we were expecting from opposing fans.

I see a new conspiracy thread brewing from this
Bulldog73
AG
n_touch said:

Ag_07 said:

I see a new conspiracy thread brewing from this

Breaking news: the astros invented the Corona Virus.
the last of the bohemians
I would get on a plane to Arizona to support the Astros
W
AG
the MLB players' union is very strong.

they won't go for indefinite player separation from families.

MLB needs to target June 1st and play the 2020 schedule as created
AstroAggie15
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

...the point is that you can't...
If golf is reopening in June, then I see no reason MLB can't start July 1 at latest for a 100 game season.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I would think if nothing else you could start the season like this in Arizona but by July or August have a plan to transition back to home fields and then allows fans etc. leading to a basically regular playoffs and World Series.

But baseball is baseball I'll take what I can get. Right now I'm relying on playing video game baseball to scratch the itch
AgsMyDude
AG
Ag_07 said:

That sounds awful. Not being able to go any games and watching on TV in a late time zone.

I'll take this over the alternative of the entire season being cancelled
BMX Bandit
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona

Quote:

Both sides acknowledge the uniqueness of the season would not be limited to stadium location or roster size. Among the possibilities that have been discussed among people from both sides, though not in the talks on Monday, according to sources:
Implementing an electronic strike zone to allow the plate umpire to maintain sufficient distance from the catcher and batter
No mound visits from the catcher or pitching coach
Seven-inning doubleheaders, which with an earlier-than-expected start date could allow baseball to come closer to a full 162-game season
Regular use of on-field microphones by players, as an added bonus for TV viewers
Sitting in the empty stands 6 feet apart -- the recommended social-distancing space -- instead of in a dugout
Ag13
AG
Ag_07 said:

The sports illustrated article says that Chase Field could do daily triple headers as it has turf. So then it'd be down to 24 teams remaining. There would have to be occasional double headers at the minor league sites but that leads to an issue of having day games outdoors in the middle of summer in Phoenix.
BMX Bandit
If they pulled this off, which I'm skeptical they can, you'd probably have less late night games than you do now.

There will be more day games and you won't have to start at 7 local time to accommodate fans traveling to the ballpark.
gougler08
AG
BMX Bandit said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona

Quote:

Both sides acknowledge the uniqueness of the season would not be limited to stadium location or roster size. Among the possibilities that have been discussed among people from both sides, though not in the talks on Monday, according to sources:
Implementing an electronic strike zone to allow the plate umpire to maintain sufficient distance from the catcher and batter
No mound visits from the catcher or pitching coach
Seven-inning doubleheaders, which with an earlier-than-expected start date could allow baseball to come closer to a full 162-game season
Regular use of on-field microphones by players, as an added bonus for TV viewers
Sitting in the empty stands 6 feet apart -- the recommended social-distancing space -- instead of in a dugout

I see them gently getting everyone used to electronic umpires
Bulldog73
AG
Actually, thinking about it with no issue of travel, they may have morning games to avoid some of the heat of the day.
Ag_07
AG

They're talking about doing this with no fans in the stands
BMX Bandit
Didn't think about the heat issue.

(In before "but it's a dry heat")
Buck Compton
AG
Those fields would get so damn sloppy. Players would be hurting themselves in the outfield after a month or two

Or if you keep it dry, it ends up looking like a sandlot because of all the traffic.
aggie813
Daily triple headers? Every day? Can you imagine the amount of spit all over the ground after just one week?
TexAgs1992
Could they not use GCU and ASU's stadiums as well?
Marvin
AG
third coast.. said:

Farmer1906 said:

Yes, it is. The expected peak is in 10 days and looks to be significantly low by June 1. I think we can have fans in ballparks by July 4th. (random-ass guess!)

If july 4th was the first day fand were back in the park that would be a wild ass game and fireworks show

This was my guess some time back. July 4th and 100 games. Start the great American comeback!
(I'm 99% wrong, but how cool would this be?)
Farmer1906
AG
Yeah true, how is this a realistic idea in 115 degree heat?
Mathguy64
AG

Yeah true, how is this a realistic idea in 115 degree heat?

But it's a dry heat.
Anybody who is familiar with Arizona knows that July and August actually have humidity (monsoon season).

It's not pleasant, even for golf in a cart.
W
AG
TexAgs1992 said:

Could they not use GCU and ASU's stadiums as well?
those stadiums could be used. And the home run records will be rewritten.

GCU's field is just 385 ft to straight away center.

ASU's is 395 ft to straight away center. Power alleys 373 ft.

factor in the summer heat and the 1,000 ft elevation...and the ball is going to fly.

(of course the heat & elevation will apply to any outdoor stadium in Arizona)
Beau Bevers
AG
ASU's park used to be the home of the Phoenix Firebirds, old Giants AAA affiliate. Those dimensions would probably be ok. Grand Canyon? Launching pad.
amercer
AG
It's hard to imagine fans in stadiums in the next 6 months.

10,000 people all a foot apart? I think any sports we get for the near future will be in empty stadiums, so they might as well get on with in. Get the NBA to Vegas, MLB to Arizona, and the NFL better find a spot in Texas with 15 quality fields within a 50 mile radius.
First Page Last Page
Page 201 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.