*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,240 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Bregman respects the Houston Athlete of the year award to the fullest... went full Tony Stark on this one
n_touch
Getting engaged? Internal buzzer implant? Don't keep us waiting.....
iBrad
AG
Engagement makes sense.
Buck Compton
AG
Definitely getting engaged
Farmer1906
AG
Hershey97 said:

Yes, the advanced stats do show he didn't have the best range, especially to his left. This can also be skewed due to the length of time he played. But he led the league in fielding percentage for several years. I agree the gold glove can become a popularity contest, I just find it crazy thinking "one of the worst fielding ss" ever would win 5 gold gloves and receive every vote but 1 to the hall of fame. That sounds a little extreme. I don't care how popular you are, if you're that bad you're not going to get voted for the award.

This is because the voters couldn't judge his defense properly. Jeter couldn't make enough plays to be good even if he never made a single error in his career.
agproducer
AG
Y'all glazed over this in all the Jeter talk: Crane is telling the players to apologize during Spring Training. WTF?? Have some ****ing balls, man!

The apologies are going to sounds contrite. How will that not make things worse? With the announcement they are going to do it, the media will expect it. Then, when the apologies don't meet up to their standards, the Astros will be dogged for not being sorry enough.

What a cluster ****! At this point, keep stonewalling the media when it comes to details, but be remorseful. At some point, they will jump to the next big story -- the Red Sox.

Check how former hitting coach Dave Hudgens handled it with an interview with The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/1545861/2020/01/19/former-astros-hitting-coach-dave-hudgens-talks-sign-stealing-ethics-avoiding-punishment-from-mlb?source=shared-article
JJxvi
AG
He's doing it for the same reason he fired Luhnow and Hinch, to make himself look good. Its certainly not for the Astros fans. Its also likely why his GM and manager hires will suck balls, they will all be about improving the team's (ie his) reputation Uncle Drayton style
agproducer
AG
JJxvi said:

He's doing it for the same reason he fired Luhnow and Hinch, to make himself look good. Its certainly not for the Astros fans. Its also likely why his GM and manager hires will suck balls, they will all be about improving the team's (ie his) reputation Uncle Drayton style

Absolutely. He's cratering to the whims of holier-than-thou baseball writers.
the last of the bohemians
The owner of the Astros appears to be a SJW, instead of a hardcore businessman.
Kraft's handling of the Patriots scandals was the proper course of action to keep the winning attitude at full throttle.
irish pete ag06
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

The owner of the Astros appears to be a SJW, instead of a hardcore businessman.
Kraft's handling of the Patriots scandals was the proper course of action to keep the winning attitude at full throttle.
Yep. The further I get down the line from the day he fired them the angrier I get.
Marvin
AG
Mr.Bond said:

If Griffey wasn't unanimous then no reason Jeter should be. Jeter is hall worthy no question but why is he more deserving of unanimous over ripken, Griffey, Aaron, big unit, Ryan etc

Two, or five, wrongs don't make a right. I agree most of those guys should have been unanimous as well, but don't excuse the writers behavior just because of precedent. They were wrong in the first place.
JJxvi
AG
Wgaf? I find the obsession with hall of fame ballot percentages (above getting in) to be very tiresome. Derek Jeter is not the greatest ****ing player of all time or anything, so who cares if he gets 100%? He's in the hall as he should be, all the other **** is just a manufactured story for the writers to stroke themselves about while getting worked up over it.
Post removed:
by user
iBrad
AG
I'll wait to see who Crane hires before I get angry. I don't really care who all we interview. That could just be for appearance purposes. The hire is all that really matters. I mean, it can't be worse than Bo Porter, can it?
Mathguy64
AG
I will say that when AJ was hired I wondered if they got it right. His small sample at his first gig he didn't exactly impress the world. Maybe Crane will find another hidden gem.

Who am I kidding. He's going to tab either the Lizard or Bannister and our descent into the 8th ring of Hell will be complete.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Luhnow hired Hinch with a plan in place. Crane making a permanent hiring has disaster written all over it.
AggiEE
I'm honestly OK with Hinch leaving. The way he managed the WS versus the Nationals really soured me on his approach. Great regular season manager, but terrible in the playoffs..

More upset about Lunhow by far. With as much talent and experience as our guys have, coaching isn't going to be a huge concern.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Honest question here....where or probably better, how did Crane find Luhnow. I don't mean, duh dummy from the Cardinals... What I mean is how did he hone in on him, who recommended the hire.

My biggest thing is whomever Crane listened to when he hired Jeff is who needs to be in his ear again now helping him find new HC and GM
agdaddy04
AG
I still think Hinch provided the piece in between analytics and gut feeling that Oakland never had during the moneyball era. I believe he was the perfect manager for a Luhnow team.

I don't get at all why Crane wouldn't want the new GM to pick the permanent replacement. The manager has to buy-in to the strategy of the GM and you'd think a decent GM would want to make the selection since it's tied to your success.
BMX Bandit
agdaddy04 said:

I still think Hinch provided the piece in between analytics and gut feeling that Oakland never had during the moneyball era. I believe he was the perfect manager for a Luhnow team.

I don't get at all why Crane wouldn't want the new GM to pick the permanent replacement. The manager has to buy-in to the strategy of the GM and you'd think a decent GM would want to make the selection since it's tied to your success.
if this had happened in november, that's likely the way he goes.

but getting a manager is a more pressing need right now with spring training right around the corner. the GM is more a long term strategy position and doesn't have to be filled before spring training,

if new GM hates the manager, thats an easy fix.
cap-n-jack
https://houston.sportsmap.com/how-new-information-further-shines-a-light-on-mlbs-agenda-against-astros
Where is the punishment for the Bosox and Cora?
What of the credible allegations against other teams? Yankees, Dodgers, Cards etc.
The Astros are being made to be the scapegoats for the entire league. Hire Espada, embrace this thing and then go play ruthless baseball.
The season can't get here soon enough.
Agnzona
It's starting to look like Crane is getting played and abused by MLB. I guarantee the Yankees would have said, see you in court!
Wabs
AG
cap-n-jack said:

https://houston.sportsmap.com/how-new-information-further-shines-a-light-on-mlbs-agenda-against-astros
Where is the punishment for the Bosox and Cora?
What of the credible allegations against other teams? Yankees, Dodgers, Cards etc.
The Astros are being made to be the scapegoats for the entire league. Hire Espada, embrace this thing and then go play ruthless baseball.
The season can't get here soon enough.
I've heard a lot of people saying "No one has taken sign stealing as far as the Astros, that's why they got punished like this".

Really? No one knew how far the Astros took it UNTIL THEY WERE INVESTIGATED.

How does anyone know how far other teams took it?? Boston, New York, Dodgers, Nationals, DBacks, and any other team is rumored to have cheated. Hell, these teams may in fact be completely innocent - but how does anyone know?
Bulldog73
AG
You can only play hardball if you're willing to lose big. The Yankees wouldn't sweat having to take down the banner as much because they have 50 more still hanging. Crane is likely getting played, but that's because they're terrified of having the title stripped.
Frok
AG
I'm not a fan of Crane's comments at all since this happened. He's just throwing everyone under the bus other than himself.
DVC2010
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I don't understand why Crane suddenly thinks he is qualified to run a baseball team. His best quality as an owner was staying out of the way.
n_touch
Quote:

I don't understand why Crane suddenly thinks he is qualified to run a baseball team. His best quality as an owner was staying out of the way.
Well during the last 3 years they have won a WS, 2 AL pennants and been to 3 ALCS in a row. Someone needs to step in and put a stop to this madness.
Ag_07
AG
DVC2010 said:

His best quality as an owner was staying out of the way.

And look what it got him. The biggest sports scandal since steroids.

I can easily why he wants his hands on this hire.
Agnzona
Bulldog73 said:

You can only play hardball if you're willing to lose big. The Yankees wouldn't sweat having to take down the banner as much because they have 50 more still hanging. Crane is likely getting played, but that's because they're terrified of having the title stripped.

He is essentially allowing it to be stripped. If this group doesn't win another title in the next few years, in a decade or two this will be considered illegitimate by almost everyone everywhere.

That's the problem his being scared will ultimately lead to what he fears. He is playing prevent defense to save his title and most likely will lose it by doing that.
Texaggie7nine
To me it makes sense if Crane believed that the Astros did take sign stealing way further than any other team. If he believes that the Astros truly were tarnished beyond what other teams were doing. At that point of course you are going to be livid with your GM and Manager for allowing your team to become so tarnished.
7nine
mwm
It seems to me that the sports media has taken a page out of the playbook of the media covering politics.
Mr.Ackar07
Hershey97 said:

Yes, the advanced stats do show he didn't have the best range, especially to his left. This can also be skewed due to the length of time he played. But he led the league in fielding percentage for several years. I agree the gold glove can become a popularity contest, I just find it crazy thinking "one of the worst fielding ss" ever would win 5 gold gloves and receive every vote but 1 to the hall of fame. That sounds a little extreme. I don't care how popular you are, if you're that bad you're not going to get voted for the award.
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jaws-and-the-2020-hall-of-fame-ballot-derek-jeter/

Jeter has the worst fielding runs metric of any position player...ever. But his baseball instincts helped make up for that and more.

Quote:

Of course, Jeter's cumulative stats as a shortstop owe something to his persistence at the position despite unfavorable defensive metrics. While his -243 fielding runs (Total Zone through 2002, Defensive Runs Saved thereafter) is 50 fewer than the next-lowest total at any position (Gary Sheffield's -195 is next), he more than offset that with his bat and his legs (he was a combined 63 runs above average via baserunning and double-play avoidance).

I've seen people hold Sheffield's defensive metrics against him to justify not voting for him, but turn a blind eye toward Jeter's because of his flashy plays.
JJxvi
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

To me it makes sense if Crane believed that the Astros did take sign stealing way further than any other team. If he believes that the Astros truly were tarnished beyond what other teams were doing. At that point of course you are going to be livid with your GM and Manager for allowing your team to become so tarnished.
He is doing what makes Jim Crane look the best over what would be best for the franchise. He's not a dumb guy, hes just distancing himself from it all. Like I said, he's doing exactly what Drayton McLane would have done in his shoes, which is suck up to the media, all the other owners, the commissioner and MLB over his franchises own fans. Seriously, what Houston fans is he going to win over by forcing the players to apologize at Spring Training? None, its just made to look like "ok, I'm the white hat taking charge of my team now!"
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

DVC2010 said:

His best quality as an owner was staying out of the way.

And look what it got him. The biggest sports scandal since steroids.

I can easily why he wants his hands on this hire.

Biggest sports scandal
CFTXAG10
AG

We will see about that. Hopefully others come forward with stuff he cannot ignore.
First Page Last Page
Page 104 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.