*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,753 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Harry Stone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cole is gone, no doubt.

It would not surprise me if Grienke asks for a trade and after last night's game, his trade value is still high. I think he would want to go back to the NL. But Id love to see him traded to a team like the Rays for Morton and an arm in the bullpen. Of course I have no idea if he has a no-trade clause.
agsquirrel97
AG

Lets get to work plugging holes and making sure our offseason threads continue to start in very late October
agsquirrel97
AG
Here is our jumping-off point for salaries and contracts. $156MM committed with another estimated $45MM in arbitration.

Ciboag96
Thanks to the Astros for a helluva season. 107 wins. Watched the 'Stros destroy the Rangers during a Tropical Storm. Sending the Yankees home in tears via Altuve's bomb. American League Champs. Got to see the World Series in Houston again after a decade and a half.

Was an enjoyable season and I look forward to next year.

Ag_07
AG
Did we really start the off season thread with a trade scenario of Grienke to TB for Charlie Morton?

Fck me it's gonna be a long few months.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Page 1...This sucks...
Ags #1
AG
Why would grienke ask for a trade? And even if he does who wants his salary?

It will be up to lunhow to work his magic and trade for a morton or cole type pitcher if we want this team to try and win it all next year. Would be nice to get rid of reddick but dont see him going anywhere.

How reliable will lance be coming of TJ? Our starters will be JV (who cant pitch well in the ws), Grienke, Urquidy, Lance, and ??
bearkatag15
AG
Needs include:

Starting and backup catchers
Solid starting pitcher (lefty preferred... Bumgarner?)
Relief pitching (at least 1 lefty)

That's it really, unless I missed something.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
KC_Ag14
AG
As amazing as our bullpen was throughout the postseason (and regular season honestly), I think not having an established left-handed reliever caught up to us in the WS. Would've been nice to run out a solid lefty against the likes of Soto and Eaton. Hopefully Luhnow and Co. make that a point of emphasis this offseason.
ccaggie05
AG
Does anybody think Springer gets extended this offseason? I hope the front office has every intention of ensuring he's an Astro for a long time.

It will be interesting to see what offseason moves are made. Hopefully there is an affordable SP option out there we can grab.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Harry Stone said:

Cole is gone, no doubt.

It would not surprise me if Grienke asks for a trade and after last night's game, his trade value is still high. I think he would want to go back to the NL. But Id love to see him traded to a team like the Rays for Morton and an arm in the bullpen. Of course I have no idea if he has a no-trade clause.

THIS is what we start the thread with?
AustinCountyAg
same thing I was thinking....
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Ok if this is where we post our hot takes:

I want us to trade reddick, Correa, Tucker, and Hinch for players and a manager that are better, cheaper, and preferably younger.
AustinCountyAg
Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Miley re-sign with the team? The dude was nails the first 3/4 of the season. If you can get him cheap, why not? You can never have to much pitching.

Also am I very giddy to see Whitley with the team next year. With Zack and JV and LMJ returning he will have some great role models in the clubhouse to turn to for advice.
BMX Bandit
What about Urquidy, Diaz, Reddick, James and some minor leaguers (not Whitley) for deGrom? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Verlander
Greinke
Urquidy
McCullers
?????

1) who takes that 5th spot?
2) if we are actually thinking that we will go a whole season with LMJ and Urquidy as our 3rd and 4th starters, we better have some damn good long relief. This is why I'm okay re-signing Miley and/or mchugh.

Urquidy has never started a full year in MLB and LMJ is made from the same glass that correa was built with. Even when healthy lance generally gives you 5-6 max.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Page 1.

What will our new hashtag be? I liked #takeitback

How about #beenJuanSoto
AustinCountyAg
#neverquit
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I think it's time to get Whitley up to the show and see what Strom can do with him.
BMX Bandit
They are definitely counting on him to be part of the rotation by the playoffs.
Prime0882
AG
Harry Stone said:

Cole is gone, no doubt.

Huh?

Are there indications Grinke isn't happy in Houston? Why would he want a trade? All because Hinch pulled him last night?
agsquirrel97
AG
Position players

Infield
Altuve - $23.4M
Bregman - $20M
Correa ~ $9.5M
Yuli - $9.5M
Diaz ~ $2.5M
Toro - $500K

Straw - $500K
Yordan - $500K

Outfield
Brantley - $16M
Josh Reynolds - $13M
Springer $21.4M
Jake ~ $3M
Tucker - $500K

We are at $120M in position players and that can't really go up this year unless it is to lock down Springer.

Must have 2 catchers and I don't think either come from our farm system. I am hopeful we can move Josh to free up some salary, I don't see us needing to do much else in the offseason concerning position players outside of some farm system replenishment.
wangus12
AG
While I'm sure Greinke is probably ticked Hinch yanked him, there is no way I see him asking for a trade
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Lol Josh Reynolds.

Now post pics of his gf as penance.
agsquirrel97
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Lol Josh Reynolds.

i will leave my gaffe up, i deserve it.

and gladly

W
AG
it will be interesting to see if the Astros extend Springer.

also wonder if the front office might float a small extension to Yuli to get him under contract thru 2021. Just in case Tucker or Yordan can't pick up the first base position
Prime0882
AG
W said:

also wonder if the front office might float a small extension to Yuli to get him under contract thru 2021. Just in case Tucker or Yordan can't pick up the first base position
To me, extending Springer is hopefully really high on our priority list. I think he and Altuve are the heart and soul of this team, with Springer being the spark to getting things going.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Lol Josh Reynolds.

i will leave my gaffe up, i deserve it.

and gladly

Well done sir. She's great.
Deluxe
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Harry Stone said:

Cole is gone, no doubt.

THIS is what we start the thread with?
Haha, someone needs to just start a new one in a couple days
eATMup-Reveille
Trade Correa, sign Rendon and move Bergman to shortstop.
07ag
AG
will smith is a free agent, we should sign him to help out the announcers next post-season
https://ts.la/eric59704
W
AG
another serious question/issue...how much talent is left in the minor leagues to make a big trade for a starting pitcher?

either in the offseason (a la Cole 2 years ago) or at the trade deadline (JV/Greinke).

the front office may have to go the Miley/Morton route for help in 2020
Cromagnum
AG

Astros sunrise this morning.
agsquirrel97
AG
W said:

I would love to have Yuli through 2022 (he would be 38), just not sure $12 - $15MM annually is realistic with the rest of the salaries and his age. I don't see Yordan developing into a decent defensive 1st baseman, so I think the options beyond next season will be Diaz, Tucker, Toro or a prospect.

Personally, I think Toro/Diaz are backups for Correa and Straw is an everyday outfielder in 2021 with Brantley, Reddick, and Springer all hitting free agency at end of next year.
Juan Solo
AG
Made it to page 1
Last Page
Page 1 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.