*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,268 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jkag89 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

I am astonished that we are this high.
The only reason I can think of why anyone would make the odds that high is that they think Cole might want to stay with a team that will be in contention for a deep post season run without considering how Luhnow builds and maintains a team. Some what surprised the effin' Dodgers are not mentioned higher, but then I'm not sure where their payroll is in relation to the luxury tax.

The only reason is because we may keep Cole? Really.

Why is anyone astonished?

We still have the following players
Altuve
Bregman
Springer
Correa
Verlander
Osuna
Pressly
Yuli
Brantley
Greinke
McCullers
And MF TED

Find me another squad with 12 guys at that level across the board.

Hint, you can't.
redline248
AG
How much would Chirinos cost on a 1 or 2 year deal vs Maldonado? I know many want a little more offense at the position, but I think either one is good for a pitching that staff that will likely include 2 rookies.
Deluxe
AG
redline248 said:

How much would Chirinos cost on a 1 or 2 year deal vs Maldonado? I know many want a little more offense at the position, but I think either one is good for a pitching that staff that will likely include 2 rookies.

I think we're going to be on a tight budget at catcher this winter and think Chirinos will ultimately be looking for more than what we're willing to pay. At this very second, I'll be surprised if Maldy isn't our starting catcher opening day 2020. Assuming we can't come to terms with Chirinos, my guess is Maldy will be next in line and be quick to take a 1 year, $3 million deal to stay like he should have done last winter.
jkag89
Cole has made it quite clear that he wants his pay day. Do you see Luhnow opening the vault, or Crane OK such a deal if he decided to go against his usual modus operandi?
Philip J Fry
AG
No. Perhaps if we won this year, but we made a huge gamble with Greinke and it unfortunately didn't pay off.

Just my opinion, but Luhnow has already spoken about how Crane isn't on board with paying a luxury tax.
mazag08
AG
I'm ok with Maldonado and developing Stubbs. If we need a boost before he playoffs, we can make some noise for a catcher at the deadline. If RF can be improved, people won't care about the black hole of offense at catcher.
Farmer1906
AG
0.00001% chance Cole comes back.
Thinice
jkag89 said:

Cole has made it quite clear that he wants his pay day. Do you see Luhnow opening the vault, or Crane OK such a deal if he decided to go against his usual modus operandi?

Crane is probably hurting for money, the Astros franchise has only gone up 1.1 billion since he bought them 8 years ago.
redline248
AG
mazag08 said:

I'm ok with Maldonado and developing Stubbs. If we need a boost before he playoffs, we can make some noise for a catcher at the deadline. If RF can be improved, people won't care about the black hole of offense at catcher.

Lol, they'll care the first time the catcher strikes out with 2nd/3rd and 2 outs.
redline248
AG
Deluxe said:

redline248 said:

I think we're going to be on a tight budget at catcher this winter and think Chirinos will ultimately be looking for more than what we're willing to pay. At this very second, I'll be surprised if Maldy isn't our starting catcher opening day 2020. Assuming we can't come to terms with Chirinos, my guess is Maldy will be next in line and be quick to take a 1 year, $3 million deal to stay like he should have done last winter.

1) is 3 million reasonable for Maldonado
2) is Chirinos going to command more than that?
Deluxe
AG
redline248 said:

1) is 3 million reasonable for Maldonado
2) is Chirinos going to command more than that?

1) Maldy's contract last year was 1 year, $2.5 million. Don't see him making more than that this offseason.
2) Chirinos' contract last year was 1 year, $5.75 million. I think he did enough to demand roughly the same amount, but maybe he'd accept less to stay.
redline248
AG
Do y'all think he's worth 2 at 9?
AggiEE
I think in a lot of ways we are improved because of a few reasons:

1. Correa - Hopefully he will be healthy for the season. If he is, that's a big boost. I think his bat was a little rusty going into the playoffs. He needs to work on laying off garbage that's down and away.

2. Tucker instead of Reddick. Big improvement in offense and defense in RF.

3. Alvarez will be back for an entire season, is experienced with MLB and playoff pitching.

In terms of position players, we don't really need to do anything other than get a catcher. Resign Maldy or Chirinos (or both), and be done.

Hopefully Hinch has a LOT of lessons learned during the 2019 WS vs. 2017. He played it right in 2017 - you play your best guys and don't go to the bullpen unless necessary. Hinch got a little TOO comfortable with his bullpen and it killed us. You DO have to manage a bit differently during the playoffs than the regular season because there's less of a NEED to go to your bullpen.

Our biggest hole this offseason is finding a Cole/Miley replacement with years, and hoping some of our rookies can fill in the gaps in our BP.
Ags #1
AG
No way tucker has better defense than reddick. Bat yes
redline248
AG
Don't open this can, please
Deluxe
AG
redline248 said:

Don't open this can, please

He must be new
MaxPower
Aliva would be a better pairing with Chirinos. He's a lefty bat and Chirinos is a lefty killer. There are a lot of mediocre catcher free agents so it should be interesting to see how much money these guys make.
TMACsDaMan
Would you take a flyer on Salvador Perez if the Royals asking price was low level prospects? Considering he's coming off major elbow surgery.
MaxPower
I'd be interested in Perez but he seems the kind of guy KC would value more than other teams given his history with the team. Maybe if they take Reddick to offset some salary then you can justify a reasonable prospect.
ontheedge
Ags #1 said:

Not with his long swing.
agdaddy04
AG
Well an Astro won a gold glove, just for what he did on another team though. Congrats Greinke.

Many runner ups though.
MelvinUdall
ontheedge said:

Ags #1 said:

Not with his long swing.

Not to compare him to Alvarez, but both have long swings.
Harry Dunne
MelvinUdall said:

ontheedge said:

Ags #1 said:

Not with his long swing.

Not to compare him to Alvarez, but both have long swings.
But only one of them swings at eye-high cheese.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Harry Dunne
Been a while since we have had a player win an NL GG award.
jkag89
dshedd41 said:

Yuli, Tuve & Bregs were all runners up at their positions.

The 2019 Gold Glove Award winners are ...
Harry Dunne
Fielding Bible awards - recognize the best defensive player for each fielding position in Major League Baseball (MLB) based on statistical analysis.

http://fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

These are done for all MLB, not by league.

Grienke wins this as well for P.

For those of you who complained about his defense all season, Brantley ties for 1st in LF with David Peralta!
JYDog90
AG
Did y'all happen to see in the Chronicle today that Urquidy's salary this year was $85,000?
Formerly Willy Wonka
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
AggiEE said:

I think in a lot of ways we are improved because of a few reasons:

1. Correa - Hopefully he will be healthy for the season. If he is, that's a big boost. I think his bat was a little rusty going into the playoffs. He needs to work on laying off garbage that's down and away.

2. Tucker instead of Reddick. Big improvement in offense and defense in RF.

3. Alvarez will be back for an entire season, is experienced with MLB and playoff pitching.

In terms of position players, we don't really need to do anything other than get a catcher. Resign Maldy or Chirinos (or both), and be done.

Hopefully Hinch has a LOT of lessons learned during the 2019 WS vs. 2017. He played it right in 2017 - you play your best guys and don't go to the bullpen unless necessary. Hinch got a little TOO comfortable with his bullpen and it killed us. You DO have to manage a bit differently during the playoffs than the regular season because there's less of a NEED to go to your bullpen.

Our biggest hole this offseason is finding a Cole/Miley replacement with years, and hoping some of our rookies can fill in the gaps in our BP.

If you'd let go of the Tucker schtick you'd have a lot more credibility.
agdaddy04
AG
willie wonka said:

Did y'all happen to see in the Chronicle today that Urquidy's salary this year was $85,000?

That's not correct.
bearkatag15
AG
willie wonka said:

He wasn't up very long. So that makes sense
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
agdaddy04
AG
According to sporttrac his salary was $555,000 and his adjusted salary was $180,000
bearkatag15
AG
willie wonka said:

Actually Spotrac shows that he earned $152k
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Harry Dunne
willie wonka said:

$85k is his AAA salary.

His total 2019 salary should be his prorated portion of $556K for his MLB service time + prorated portion of $85K for his time @ RR.

Harry Dunne
bearkatag15 said:

willie wonka said:

Actually Spotrac shows that he earned $152k
Spotrac probably shows his pro rata MLB salary, which is $3,432 per game. Based on his game log it looks like he was on the roster for 44 games, which adds up. I would guess the adjusted salary is this + prorated MiLb salary.

That's not including his playoff share, And he's going to be one of the guys for which the playoff share will make a huge difference. In 2017 each player & staff member got $438k.
First Page Last Page
Page 9 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.