*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,631 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

texpdx
I see us signing a Wheeler, Hamel, MadBaum type to replace Cole plus a Miley or McHugh type for the back end of the rotation. This would give you a who bunch of guys that can be rotated as 4/5 and long relief to limit innings.

BMX Bandit
even if they don't sign him, how are they going to stay under the tax number?
Farmer1906
AG
By making almost no moves.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Sounds like we told him to peace out, which is frustrating to me.

We haven't told that to anyone. Cole put it best, they're no longer employed by the Astros.

This is McHughs first chance he's had in his career to actually choose where he goes and get paid what the market demands. If we make the best offer then he'll likely be back. If we don't have the money to keep him or don't believe he's worth it, then we won't.

So you know for a fact that we haven't told any former astros that we aren't going after them in free agency?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
maca1028 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

My real number 1 offseason want: a Richardson hat with an astros logo on it.

Speaking of that, I still think that dumbass that made the Astros/cowgirls logo hat was the reason our bats went to **** during the playoffs.

What the fk is this?
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Farmer1906 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Sounds like we told him to peace out, which is frustrating to me.

We haven't told that to anyone. Cole put it best, they're no longer employed by the Astros.

This is McHughs first chance he's had in his career to actually choose where he goes and get paid what the market demands. If we make the best offer then he'll likely be back. If we don't have the money to keep him or don't believe he's worth it, then we won't.

So you know for a fact that we haven't told any former astros that we aren't going after them in free agency?

You

Fact
mAgnoliAg
Philip J Fry
AG
maca1028 said:

Jumping in with my "hot take" at 2:30 in the morning. With Luhnows track record I think he signs/trades for a SP that we're not taking about yet. Don't ask me who because I'm too lazy dig into that. I think this is a crucial offseason, mainly because the rest of the AL west (LAA especially) will be doing all the can to build a roster that can contend with us and knock us off the podium. This is where Cole to the Angels makes me a little nervous.

Hot take of the day is that I'm not concerned if he lands with the Angels. Totally mismanaged team.

More concerned about the Dodgers or Yankees.
gougler08
AG
Posting to get on the watch list
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Closest I have found, this place is in the heights on 19th st and has some cool stuff in there including these hats.

https://manready.com/collections/hats/products/112-richardson-hat-houston-home-plate?variant=28494444724290
maca1028
nm
bearkatag15
AG
This is pretty telling

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIZuF9HW4AAgjiY?format=jpg
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Closest I have found, this place is in the heights on 19th st and has some cool stuff in there including these hats.

https://manready.com/collections/hats/products/112-richardson-hat-houston-home-plate?variant=28494444724290

Well this is fantastic
Al Bula
AG
That is a good find. I haven't bought an Aggie or Astros hat in ages because the fits are always garbage. Richardson hats are the tits.

Aggie hats are mostly garbage all the way around though.
Ags #1
AG
Not sure what that means? We are over paying for jv, brantley etc? Help me get it. Im also 10 beers in
maca1028
Here's the garbage I was talking about.
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/amp/Love-the-Astros-the-Cowboys-or-both-Baytown-14483567.php
bearkatag15
AG
Basically it's the player's WAR divided by their 2019 salary. Just tells you how much we paid each player per Win Above Replacement based on their contract.
linkdude
AG
bearkatag15
AG

Interesting... wouldn't mind taking a look at Gomes
Cromagnum
AG
Shife said:

That is a good find. I haven't bought an Aggie or Astros hat in ages because the fits are always garbage. Richardson hats are the tits.

Aggie hats are mostly garbage all the way around though.

I love my '47 fitted hats in both Aggie and Astros.

https://www.shopfansunited.com/houston-astros-47-franchise-cap-053838652118.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9uvvnJTN5QIVSrzACh3qnArAEAQYASABEgJ_GfD_BwE

https://www.shopfansunited.com/texas-aandm-aggies-47-franchise-cap-TT140001050.html?dwvar_TT140001050_color=MAR&cgid=#q=A&sz=18&start=19

My aggie hat is slightly different though as mine has a Texas flag on the back instead of AGGIES
Nuke LaLoosh
AG

I am astonished that we are this high.
bearkatag15
AG

n_touch
Im surprised we are not second. It was either here or Angels. The Yankees can dream all they want. He wants to be closer to home, at least if he stayed here we travel to the west coast on the reg. Going to the Yankees completely kills that.
bearkatag15
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Well this is fantastic
https://www.etsy.com/listing/590644835/astros-inspired-throwback-stros-trucker?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-accessories-hats_and_caps-baseball_and_trucker_caps&utm_custom1=a2ba1944-5239-4e18-982d-d4c3b33078ca&utm_content=go_2063557627_76452855575_367965824811_aud-365916330610:pla-354202314881_c__590644835&gclid=CjwKCAjw0vTtBRBREiwA3URt7nLzlyabSkUhKSwvOo2BCI9V8s-bkWAX208PDieOiyTKFHyT2yQwkRoCuDMQAvD_BwE

Here is one I ordered recently
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Well this is fantastic
https://www.etsy.com/listing/590644835/astros-inspired-throwback-stros-trucker?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-accessories-hats_and_caps-baseball_and_trucker_caps&utm_custom1=a2ba1944-5239-4e18-982d-d4c3b33078ca&utm_content=go_2063557627_76452855575_367965824811_aud-365916330610:pla-354202314881_c__590644835&gclid=CjwKCAjw0vTtBRBREiwA3URt7nLzlyabSkUhKSwvOo2BCI9V8s-bkWAX208PDieOiyTKFHyT2yQwkRoCuDMQAvD_BwE

Here is one I ordered recently

Saw that one, but it made me nervous that it doesn't say it's a "Richardson" brand. Let me know when yours comes in!
MaxPower
Pomeranz would be a great fit here. Lefty reliever is a big need. He was lights out in the pen once moved there and seems a fit in terms of what we look at stuff wise (mid to high 90's high spin 4 seam).
texpdx
Think the Yankees will make a strong effort to get Strasberg?
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed. I mentioned him in the season long thread as an ideal candidate for the pen.
jkag89
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I am astonished that we are this high.
The only reason I can think of why anyone would make the odds that high is that they think Cole might want to stay with a team that will be in contention for a deep post season run without considering how Luhnow builds and maintains a team. Some what surprised the effin' Dodgers are not mentioned higher, but then I'm not sure where their payroll is in relation to the luxury tax.
texpdx
Maybe Cole is open to a 1 year deal? Doubtful but who knows why odds are that high. Had we got the ring this year he was for sure going to the highest bidder on the West coast.
agdaddy04
AG
No chance he takes a 1 yr deal.
Deluxe
AG
Some preliminary offseason thoughts:

First off, we need to do whatever it takes to trade for Bryce Harper (JK)

Like others have already posted, we are strapped for cash this offseason. We already have $208 million committed to 18 players next year. Then we have pre-arb guys like Alvarez, Tucker, James, etc who will add about $7-10 million to that in the aggregate. So we're sitting at $218 million before addressing the catcher position and retaining bullpen free agents.

Good news: Even if all we do this offseason is sign a catcher, we'll probably still win 100 games next year and be among the World Series favorites. Life is still really really good around here.

Bad news: We don't have much flexibility to improve the roster like we have in offseasons past.

I don't think Crane will want to go too far above the $218 million + catcher, so I think most offseason transactions need to be thought of on a 1 for 1 salary basis. In other words, if you want to sign Madbum for $20 million per year, that means we need to trade $20 million worth of salary. If you want to retain Cole for $35 million per year, that means we need to trade $35 million worth of salary. Etc.

So I think we are going to stand pat for the most part and attack the offseason like I've laid out below rather than perform any major roster shake ups to clear space for major free agent signings:

1) Address the catcher position. I think we'll do it roughly the same way we did it last year. Dangle a 1 year/$3 million contract in front of a few vets and whoever accepts first gets the job. Chirinos will probably get first dibs but I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to get paid. Given how last offseason went for him, I wouldn't be surprised if Maldonado took a deal like that quickly. Then the new vet catcher + Stubbs get us through July and we'll trade for a veteran backup at that time. Trading for the vet backup at the deadline saves us some $$. The only thing I care about regarding our catcher signee is that they command the respect of JV/Greinke. Given the way our lineup shapes up next year, offensive production from the catcher would be a bonus but definitely not required.

2) To clear some space and create some salary flexibility, trade Reddick and pick up a few million of his salary if needed. I know he and Tucker have been discussed ad nauseum around here but given our financial constraints, we can't pay someone $13 million to do a job that someone who makes $600k can do roughly as well. We should also look into trading/non-tendering Jake, Biagini and Devo. They're set to make ~$6 million between them and we have guys who can replace them internally on pre-arb deals.

3) Monitor Will Harris's market and keep him on a two year deal, but let him walk if someone gives him a third year.

4) Monitor Joe Smith and Collin McHugh's market and see if either would be willing to stay on extremely team friendly deals. McHugh might be willing to stay for a year, have a nice season and then look for his long term deal next winter. And I'm not sure what Smith's market is given his injury filled season and age, but I'd love to have him back if only to face the Yankees' righty power hitters. If both would stay on 1 year/$2 million type of deals, I'd take it.

5) Address the bullpen externally if Harris, Smith and McHugh depart.

6) Get Springer's extension done

I don't think there's any chance Cole is back. Honestly, if there was Vegas odds that he isn't going to sign with Houston at like 2/8, I'd put alot of money on that. With that said, if you compare our 2019 rotation at the beginning of the season with our 2020 projected rotation at the beginning of the season, I'd probably take our 2020 rotation.

2019 JV, Cole, Miley, Peacock, McHugh vs 2020 JV, Greinke, LMJ, Urquidy, Peacock/TBD

Obviously when you factor in that Cole became the best pitcher in baseball in mid 2019 and Miley had a great April-August, the 2019 rotation looks better in hindsight. But I think the 2020 rotation has some nice upside as well.

I think Greinke is going to have a strong 2020. Given his style of pitching, I think it was inevitably going to take him a little longer to sync up with our analytics/info than someone like Cole who can pound high heat and has incredible spin. But I think when that sync up occurs, Greinke is going to be lights out. Maybe not quite as good as Cole/JV but close. I'm really looking forward to how he looks next year after a full offseason of working with our staff.

I'm also excited to see post-TJ LMJ. Hopefully some of his durability issues have been addressed and he'll be ready to make 35 starts. On the other hand, I think we may need to work to limit JV's innings a little bit to keep him fresh for the playoffs next year. It will be crucial for guys like Urquidy, Armenteros, Sneed, Perez and/or Whitley to make some leaps next year so we can solidify our rotation and potentially skip a JV start here and there down the stretch.
Harry Dunne
maca1028 said:

Here's the garbage I was talking about.
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/amp/Love-the-Astros-the-Cowboys-or-both-Baytown-14483567.php
This is the equivalent of being a sports bisexual.

agproducer
AG
I'm watching the Texans this morning and all I can think of is, "I'd rather be watching the Astros."
First Page Last Page
Page 8 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.