*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,154 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

You mean to tell me that other teams in the league are doing the same **** , and if we dig deeper we will find many more "strategic setups" taking place? FOH

It blows my mind how inept media is these days
Beat40
YNWA_AG said:

Cora is such a hypocrite for calling us out in 2018 during the ALCS
Usually, the ones calling you out are doing too as the know what's up.

No surprise to me here. Manager just trying to increase the odds for his team to win.
Beat40
I'm overall glad stuff is coming out about other teams. The idea that is was only the Astros was always stupid. As many of you said, MLB knew what the problem was, implemented new rules, and swept it under the rug hoping the issue wouldn't pop up.

MLB should be happy about this coming up about other teams, honestly. I mean, it makes them look kind of bad, but at least they are not backed into as much of a corner where they have to be heavy handed to "send a message."

There is a guy at work who believes the MLB will/should come done hard on the Astros, like, big fines and lose a 1st and 2nd round draft pick type of hard because he think the MLB needs to send a heavy handed message about sign stealing illegally.

Anyway, anyone who thought the Astros were the only team was willfully ignorant.
Beat40
Wanted this as a separate post.

In all of the MLB meetings the Astros have had around the investigation, do you think any players or management implicated other teams in the league?

I was thinking specifically with Cora. He has great relationships with a lot of the guys on the team. Not that it takes a gigantic leap in logic to connect some dots between his time with the Astros and his first year with the Red Sox, but do you think anyone in the Astros organization implicated him?
themissinglink
AG
Taubman looping the Yankees into it...

Jackal99
AG
Andherewego.gif
Nino Brown
Once again I'll repeat myself. There is a reason why only the Astros and Sox have been brought up to this point. Who knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs the last three years?
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
YNWA_AG
AG
Sounds like a fine and suspensions to FO and coaches.
JABQ04
AG
And with all this new information let's not lose sight that Mike Fiers is still a possay ass beetch.
Buck Compton
AG
Can't wait to see the punishment for the Red Sox and Yankees. I'm sure we'll be waiting forever.

For ****s sake, Judge was caught on camera in the dugout with printouts in the playoffs.
Marvin
AG
If they hammer us, they better do it to everyone.
ClickClack
AG
Marvin said:

They won't (hammer everyone)
Deluxe
AG
dshedd41 said:

It's funny because he tweets that punishments will be harsh and long suspensions are likely, but then you read the content of the article and there's no such claim. If anything, first paragraph says that the severity of punishments is still TBD by Manfred. Which is it? Seems like another addition to the long list of irresponsible reporting on this subject by reporters with a vendetta against the Astros.
Deluxe
AG
Nino Brown said:

Once again I'll repeat myself. There is a reason why only the Astros and Sox have been brought up to this point. Who knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs the last three years?
Four out of the last five years.
Beat40
Marvin said:

The Astros should be or should have been gathering every instance they could determine where another team was doing some sort of illegal sign stealing.

If I'm the Astros, and the MLB only comes down on my team hard to make an example, I release that info and let it burn.
themissinglink
AG
A couple more quotes from the article...
Quote:

As far back as 2015, the Yankees used the video replay room to learn other teams' sign sequences, multiple sources told The Athletic.
Quote:

By 2017, with rules governing electronic sign stealing still lacking the specificity that would come the next season, the Red Sox, Yankees and Astros were all using their replay rooms to help decode sign sequences in some way, sources said. There are indications other teams did so as well. One National League general manager expressed a feeling that it was fair game.
But sure, go ahead and throw the hammer down on only the Astros...
CFTXAG10
AG
Something tells me Crane and co. are going to have an interesting rebuttal if and when Manfred makes his decision
k20dub
AG
They won't come down harsh on us for the same reason that the NCAA never comes down hard on schools playing for players. Everyone does it.
Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

Marvin said:

The Astros should be or should have been gathering every instance they could determine where another team was doing some sort of illegal sign stealing.

If I'm the Astros, and the MLB only comes down on my team hard to make an example, I release that info and let it burn.
Exactly. That's why I've always thought this was trending toward a situation where the Astros and MLB would settle like a plea deal in court. MLB allows Astros to plea guilty to a lesser crime and take small punishment in exchange for staying quiet about all the other instances around baseball they know about.

If the punishment is harsh, I hope every instance the Astros know about is leaked and MLB has a crisis to deal with. Between Hinch, Beltran, McCann, Cora, etc, I'm sure they know plenty of info that could make MLB look really really bad.
Deluxe
AG
It's also possible that a source to Drellich's Red Sox story was someone in the Astros org who was starting to get whiffs that punishments could be severe. Kinda like the Astros are saying "be careful MLB."
Agnzona
Sounds like teams need to hire a few Navajo Indians?
bluefire579
AG
The original article about the Astros stated that it's believed to be a league-wide problem. I can't wait for more of these reports to come out to show all those other self-righteous fanbases that they were in glass houses.
CFTXAG10
AG
"I have no reason to believe it extends beyond the Astros at this time"

-Rob Manfred (November 2019)

Ag13
AG
Memo released on 9/25/17 telling teams to stop with threat of future punishment. Everything has focused around 2017 regular season for Astros. Still scared for outcome though.

Red Sox doing it in 2018 (including after Apple Watch thing) seems a lot worse. Cora being involved with both is not a good look.
Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

Wanted this as a separate post.

In all of the MLB meetings the Astros have had around the investigation, do you think any players or management implicated other teams in the league?

I was thinking specifically with Cora. He has great relationships with a lot of the guys on the team. Not that it takes a gigantic leap in logic to connect some dots between his time with the Astros and his first year with the Red Sox, but do you think anyone in the Astros organization implicated him?
I think those are very good questions. I read a few weeks ago that the Astros main defense is that their system was "standard industry practice" and I presume they had some evidence to back that up. My guess is that Hinch, Cora and Beltran specifically were pretty forthright in unveiling tactics they've seen around the league in their time in baseball. And I'm guessing Cora/Beltran specifically preferred to focus on their time prior to joining the Astros.

As it relates to Cora and the 2018 Red Sox specifically, it kinda wonder if we held our knowledge of their tactics in our back pocket in case MLB decided to trend down a path of making an example out of the Astros.
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

He said that because he doesn't want it to be widespread. Pin it on Houston and move on.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

He said that because he doesn't want it to be widespread. Pin it on Houston and move on.
Always the dumbest approach, and I have no idea why people think these are ok statements to make. Just end up looking like a fool and no one believes it anyway.
iBrad
AG
Because there were only a few guys on PEDs, too.
Buck Compton
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Always the dumbest approach, and I have no idea why people think these are ok statements to make. Just end up looking like a fool and no one believes it anyway.
Yep. I don't know what some executives don't get. This is the same stupid **** Selig did with steroids. Head in sand.

Why not go with this?

"We are currently reviewing the public allegations made against the Houston Astros organization. We will complete a full and thorough investigation of any and all allegations that pose a threat to the integrity of the game.

Now, this is not solely an Astros problem, but an MLB problem. Over the course of the 2017 season, we became aware of certain loopholes within our video replay rules and regulations. We were first made aware of these loopholes through numerous complaints against a variety of teams taking advantage of that loophole to potentially steal signs.

On 9/25/2017, we issued a league-wide memorandum to the teams clarifying the rules and establishing guidelines for the punishment of any electronic sign stealing programs. Our goal was to address this issue in-house and eliminate any further sign-stealing programs. Any anti-competitive actions or electronic sign-stealing programs found to be occurring after that memorandum will be dealt with most severely.

We have learned from our past mistakes as a league and have plans to implement league-wide monitoring and controls to prevent this during the 2020 season. "

That took me two seconds to come up with. It obviously isn't perfect but it is loads better than playing the ostrich.
Deluxe
AG
100% agree
Bassmaster
AG
Beat40 said:

YNWA_AG said:

Cora is such a hypocrite for calling us out in 2018 during the ALCS
Usually, the ones calling you out are doing too as the know what's up.

No surprise to me here. Manager just trying to increase the odds for his team to win.
Yep, same principle as the 'ol "who smelt it dealt it theory."
ClickClack
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Everyone who is not an Astros fan believes it because that makes life easier for them
Deluxe
AG
No surprise here but sounds like Chirinos is headed back to Arlington. Writing was on the wall for his time in Houston after Maldy signed and we seemed intent to give Garneau backup duties to save $$.
Farmer1906
AG
Chirinos just seemed like an awesome teammate and was very easy to root for. I hope he does well in Arlington when not playing us.
First Page Last Page
Page 56 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.