*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,796 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Sounds guilty
Farmer1906
AG
I like his comments. Did a good job of making Fiers look like a dbag without calling him one.
Post removed:
by user
astros4545
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Sounds guilty

Good thing it wasn't illegal
the last of the bohemians
The Astros might be a little amped next time they see Fiers on the mound
Jackal99
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

The Astros might be a little amped next time they see Fiers on the mound

Too bad he won't be batting against them.
Bulldog73
AG
Revenge of the trash cans! Better be pounding, whistling, and yelling away against him.
Deluxe
AG
I forgot we scored 9 runs off Fiers at MMP on Sept 9 in an inning of work.

We should show the highlights from that game on the Jumbotron next time he pitches here.

Farmer1906
AG
Maybe we can find some footage of him sitting on his coach in 17 when he was left off the playoff roster.
Bulldog73
AG
I really believe that's why he's so salty too.
n_touch
Maybe if he was not sitting on his Coach he would have been able to help him make the roster
Deluxe
AG
Maybe when the A's come to MMP for the first time next year, we could do a tribute night for the 25 guys who were on the 2017 World Series roster.

"Ladies and gentleman, before tonight's game, we want to pay tribute to the 25 players who made our 2017 World Series title possible". Then have Bregman, Correa, etc walk out on the field for an ovation. Maybe have McCann and Gattis come out to throw the ceremonial first pitch. Give special props to Marwin and CFM on the Jumbotron.

Also, promotional t shirts with names of the 25 players for all fans. And do it on a replica ring night so the stadium is full.
AgsMyDude
AG
Deluxe said:

Maybe when the A's come to MMP for the first time next year, we could do a tribute night for the 25 guys who were on the 2017 World Series roster.

"Ladies and gentleman, before tonight's game, we want to pay tribute to the 25 players who made our 2017 World Series title possible". Then have Bregman, Correa, etc walk out on the field for an ovation. Maybe have McCann and Gattis come out to throw the ceremonial first pitch. Give special props to Marwin and CFM on the Jumbotron.

Also, promotional t shirts with names of the 25 players for all fans. And do it on a replica ring night so the stadium is full.

Please
BigPuma
AG
W said:

I don't think she likes the Astros.

(re: her Osuna columns)
we are about to get all the anti-osuna columns on the athletic now.
Farmer1906
AG
Has anyone seen any anti Yankee articles based on their players with domestic abuse histories?
dshedd41
S
http://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-early-2020-power-rankings
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG

Quote:

3. Astros (1)
The Astros have uncertainty lingering this winter as they await the Commissioner's ruling following a lengthy investigation into alleged sign-stealing schemes. On the field, the Astros need to add a starting pitcher. Not only did they lose Cole and innings-eater Wade Miley, but two projected starters -- Lance McCullers Jr. and Jose Urquidy -- are bound to be closely monitored, and possibly limited, following their recoveries from Tommy John surgery (McCullers missed '18, Urquidy, '17). Years ago, the Astros' window of winning was prognosticated to last through 2020, the final year before many of the core players would become free agents. The Astros will contend in '20, but the pathway to the AL West title will be a little harder to navigate, given the improvement of several teams in the division.

agdaddy04
AG
I'm confident that if it looks like they're struggling, Luhnow will make the necessary moves. We're gong to win the West again.
Deluxe
AG
I'd call that analysis fair. We're still gonna be damn good, we're just not gonna be the clear cut best team.
The Milkman
AG
Did we decide when the new Nike uni's would be available?

I want a road grey Bregman jersey, and my wife and everyone was unable to find one for me for Christmas. I thought maybe I'd just wait until the new ones are released. I havent seen any big blowout sales getting rid of the Majestic ones.
Farmer1906
AG
It's matches the sports books. We were #3 at +650 and right behind LAD at +600.
Marvin
AG
Early thoughts on the 26-man roster? Barring injuries, I suspect it will come down to the following:

Position (1 won't be on the roster, maybe 2 depending on pitcher total):
Stubbs
Toro
Straw
Garneau

Pitchers (only 3 or 4 of these are likely, depending on 12 or 13 pitchers):
Abreu
Devenski
Biagini
Martes (suspension is over, I think. Is TJ recovery also done?)
Armenteros
Taylor (Marisnick trade)
Valdez
Perez
Sneed

Ugh, those pitcher options do not make me very excited... please tell me I missed someone?
Mathguy64
AG
Stubbs is a lock unless we magically sign a ML capable catcher.

I would think Straw is a lock as well. He's Jake's replacement.

Isn't Devo out of options? (Too lazy to look on my phone).

The rest of the pen are likely going to be based on what they show in spring training.
the last of the bohemians
Would be great to see what kind of stats this lineup puts up if they all played at least 140 games.
It's not crazy talk to see Springer Altuve Bregman Alvarez all be near or over 40 hrs.
So I'm saying we win the west easily if those 4 stay healthy

agsquirrel97
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

Would be great to see what kind of stats this lineup puts up if they all played at least 140 games.
It's not crazy talk to see Springer Altuve Bregman Alvarez all be near or over 40 hrs.
So I'm saying we win the west easily if those 4 stay healthy

Do they get paid by the hour, can't see the players union allowing us to cut our stars to less than a 40-hour paycheck.
spadilly
S

Quote:

Three people who were with the Red Sox during their 108-win 2018 season told The Athletic that during that regular season, at least some players visited the video replay room during games to learn the sign sequence opponents were using. The replay room is just steps from the home dugout at Fenway Park, through the same doors that lead to the batting cage. Every team's replay staff travels to road games, making the system viable in other parks as well.

Red Sox sources said this system did not appear to be effective or even viable during the 2018 postseason, when the Red Sox went on to win the World Series. Opponents were leery enough of sign stealing and knowledgeable enough about it to constantly change their sign sequences. And, for the first time in the sport's history, MLB instituted in-person monitors in the replay rooms, starting in the playoffs. For the entire regular season, those rooms had been left unguarded.

Texaggie7nine
Mike Fiers soon to become the most hated player in baseball.
7nine
agproducer
AG
The Athletic is after the Red Sox now with the sign-stealing.

https://theathletic.com/1510673/2020/01/07/mlbs-sign-stealing-controversy-broadens-sources-say-the-red-sox-used-video-replay-room-illegally-in-2018/

Yet, they kept this in the article:

"Replay room to dugout to baserunner to hitter is less direct and less egregious than banging on a garbage can, the method the Astros used at home in 2017 to alert hitters to what was coming on a pitch-to-pitch basis. The Astros' system was triggered by a center-field camera and a video screen positioned near the dugout; no one on the playing field was involved in stealing the sign."
YNWA_AG
AG
Cora is such a hypocrite for calling us out in 2018 during the ALCS
Deluxe
AG
It's funny to me that the baseball universe didn't connect the 2018 Red Sox immediately after the 2017 Astros stories were brought to light. It just goes to show the lack of critical thinking skills of all involved in reporting on this scandal.

Hmmm, the Astros bench coach goes to the Red Sox and their team wRC+ goes up from 91 (2017) to 110 (2018). Hmmmm, Mookie Betts goes from lifetime ~.850 OPSer to 1.078 in 2018. Basically he goes from very good player to Trout-level elite.

Anyway, the 2018 Red Sox connection to the sign-stealing scandal should be among the least surprising discoveries of this whole process.

EDIT: Here's some fun Red Sox OPS+ metrics (2017/2018)

Betts (108/186!!)
Bogaerts (95/135)
Benintendi (103/123)
Deluxe
AG
Part of me thinks MLB ought to sniff around the Twins too. Marwin signs with them and their lineup of previously average players starts going off for 30+ dingers and their team wRC+ goes from 96 to 116 from 2018 to 2019. Then they play the Yankees in the playoffs (who know what they're up to) and can't hit anything.
YNWA_AG
AG
For those who can't read the article, here are some interesting quotes:

Three people who were with the Red Sox during their 108-win 2018 season told The Athletic that during that regular season, at least some players visited the video replay room during games to learn the sign sequence opponents were using. The replay room is just steps from the home dugout at Fenway Park, through the same doors that lead to the batting cage. Every team's replay staff travels to road games, making the system viable in other parks as well.

And:

"It was like having an open-book test and the open book is right there next to you and the teacher says, 'Don't look at the book,'" said one former player. "Whatever is available to teams, they're going to take advantage of it. Major League Baseball knows that. If you have this technology that's available where you have 20 cameras on the field, cameras that can look at signs, I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see: Oh, if I'm in the video room and I see the guy's signs, you're basically playing the same game now that was played when I first came into the league and there was a guy on second base. You're trying to break the code."

And:

A staff member in the Red Sox's video replay room would tell a player the current sign sequence. The player would return to the dugout, delivering the message on foot, rather than through a wearable device or a phone.

"There was constant movement," said one person who was with the 2018 Red Sox. "They were always trying to figure out the system."

Someone in the dugout would relay the information to the baserunner, leaving the runner with two easy steps: Watch the catcher's signs and, with body movements, tell the hitter what's coming.

In daily hitters' meetings, Red Sox players and personnel would review their communication methods for that day.

The runner would let the hitter know if he was aware of the sequence. "Put two feet on the bag or look out into center field, and do something that's subtle," as one Red Sox source described it.

The runner stepping off the bag with the right foot first could mean fastball; left foot first, a breaking ball or off-speed pitch.

Such a system was far more difficult for opponents to detect than banging on a trash can. It also had a semblance of propriety, incorporating old-school, legal practices: A runner on base still had to use his own eyes before he could put the contraband information to good use.
The Milkman
AG
And this is now the breakthrough we needed to avoid any real punishment. As soon as another big darling team has some allegations we're largely going to be covered.
Deluxe
AG
The Milkman said:

And this is now the breakthrough we needed to avoid any real punishment. As soon as another big darling team has some allegations we're largely going to be covered.
Yep. It's like there was some implicit assumption around baseball that Hinch, Beltran, Cora, McCann, etc just came up with the idea on their own and didn't know of specific incidences of it happening with other teams. It's dumb because it only takes like 5 minutes of critical thinking to realize how absurd that assumption is.

I think the last two months of this being an "Astros-only" issue was mostly just irresponsible reporting by a baseball media largely looking to embarrass the Astros after the Taubman incident. Also a loud Yankees media/fanbase who wanted to believe it was Astros-only because they've been our b**** the last five years.

But this Red Sox story is just the tip of the ice berg. More stories like it with other teams will follow shortly. Like many of us have suspected all along, MLB has a big problem here and they know it. They knew it was happening. They tried to sweep it under the rug and put new rules into effect. They can't come down hard on the Astros or any other team that was abusing the old rules before the new rules were put into effect.

Looking forward to all the tears from the journalists/Yankees fans who thought there were major punishments/suspensions coming the Astros way.
CFTXAG10
AG
You mean to tell me that other teams in the league are doing the same **** , and if we dig deeper we will find many more "strategic setups" taking place? FOH
First Page Last Page
Page 55 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.