*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,474 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't know if the Angels will be any good... probably a stretch with their pitching staff still not addressed... but they have definitely swung the bat this offseason to get their lineup better.
Marvin
AG
jckrjr7 said:

Of course we couldn't keep everyone, but those reports that Crane would consider going into the tax zone were disingenuous, it seems. Considered for half a second maybe, haha [/quote said:

We have the 3rd highest payroll and that doesn't include all the arbitration increases.
W
AG
the Angels will have a very good lineup, but their starting rotation is nonexistent
W
AG
and the Angels of course have a very bad habit of paying a player for what he did for another franchise...and then the player doesn't repeat that level of performance for LAAA
Deluxe
AG
One overlooked aspect of this offseason is the effect of Bregman's extension. Overall, it was great value for the club to lock him in at $20mm/year AAV through 2024 and it will pay huge dividends down the road, but it hurts right now.

Had we not extended him, he'd be in his arb1 year we'd have him on the books for ~$5mm next year. Instead he's at $20mm, which is $15mm extra in an offseason that was already going to be pretty tight financially.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The odds Harris will be able to repeat his best year ever at 36, 37, or 38 is slim to none. It will hurt but this is how things go. We develop and replace. Find more pieces to improve on.
Yep. In 2018 he didn't even make our ALDS roster. And for the better part of 2019, he was third in the pecking order behind Pressly and Osuna.

Obviously he'll be missed but 3/$24mm on a ~36 year old reliever is probably not a wise investment.
ClickClack
AG
Agree. I don't have heartburn about letting Harris go at those figures. He's going to drop off.
Farmer1906
AG
To be fair, he should have been on that roster. I argued on here about it.
W
AG
regarding Springer...it's the first week of January now. About 6 weeks until players report to spring training.

is there an extension in the works?
Deluxe
AG
W said:

regarding Springer...it's the first week of January now. About 6 weeks until players report to spring training.

IIRC, the Altuve, Verlander and Bregman extensions were all announced toward the end of spring training. Perhaps Springer's will be announced on a similar timeline.
RO519
AG
Farmer1906 said:

To be fair, he should have been on that roster. I argued on here about it.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

W said:

IIRC, the Altuve, Verlander and Bregman extensions were all announced toward the end of spring training. Perhaps Springer's will be announced on a similar timeline.
As much as I would love to extend Springer now, I have a feeling he's going to want to hit the market. This is pretty much his only shot at getting a huge contract. He'll be 31 when he hits the market. A big reason why he'll be so old is because we kept him in the minors when he was more than good enough for our big league roster.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this... Great show
Deluxe
AG
You might be right. I think we'll find a way to get it done if he's cool with an Altuve-lite 5/$140mm extension. But if he's looking for 7/$200mm+, might be bye bye.
Farmer1906
AG
I think 4/120 would be more realistic. He ain't gunna be cheap. He'll make ~24 in arb I think.
Deluxe
AG
Who says no at 4/$120? My gut says the Astros would do that. Not sure if Springer would though.
i is smart
AG
I feel like any deal with Springer we make will have to include a no trade clause. I'm not familiar on how extensions work, but can that be worked into an extension? I personally think he could easily get a buyer at 4/120+ if he hit the open market.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Mr.Bond
AG
dshedd41 said:

No idea who this is
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Pahdz
Feels like Jenny Creech has been writing for Houston sports since I was playing HS football 22 years ago
Deluxe
AG
She interviewed me at a high school golf tournament back in 2003 when she was on the Chron beat.
Deluxe
AG
Great minds think alike
Farmer1906
AG
Not sure. It's in the same ballpark as the Cespedes deal. Can the Astros afford to pay 4 guys 30+. That's pretty outrageous. Plus you still have Bregman at 20 and CC getting more expensive too.
astros4545
AG
dshedd41 said:

Here's to hoping she ends up being an Astros beat writer who likes the Astros

McTaggart is the only proAstros beat writer we have as of now
astros4545
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Not sure. It's in the same ballpark as the Cespedes deal. Can the Astros afford to pay 4 guys 30+. That's pretty outrageous. Plus you still have Bregman at 20 and CC getting more expensive too.

Springer 4year - 110

And give him an opt out clause after year 2
W
AG
I don't think she likes the Astros.

(re: her Osuna columns)
W
AG
whoa, if Springer approaches $24 MM in arbitration...that really tightens things up for the front office
Post removed:
by user
Jackal99
AG
Might as well be
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

whoa, if Springer approaches $24 MM in arbitration...that really tightens things up for the front office

I misremembered the estimate. It was 21.4 but in the same ballpark. It's his 4th year. He signed a 2 year 24 M deal to avoid arb the last 2.
dshedd41
S
She was a sports reporter for the Chronicle
Gig’em Aggies!
rosco511
AG
I'm still waiting for all the articles vilifying the Yankees because not only do they have Chapman but also have German who just officially received an 81 game suspension...
n_touch
rosco511 said:

I'm still waiting for all the articles vilifying the Yankees because not only do they have Chapman but also have German who just officially received an 81 game suspension...
Nothing wrong with that when you play for the Yanks, just shows you have some fight in you
dshedd41
S
Article I wrote last night, your feedback is appreciated!
http://houseofhouston.com/2020/01/04/houston-astros-rumors-will-harris-nationals-short-list-landing-spots/
Gig’em Aggies!
First Page Last Page
Page 54 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.