*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,539 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:

I like the deal

He's a solid catcher for cheap

Spend the money we have on pitching instead
Ag_07
AG
Who though?

Aren't many decent options left besides maybe Ryu and Keuchel but I wouldn't give either of them close to what they probably want.
agdaddy04
AG
With what $$ too?
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

I like the deal

He's a solid catcher for cheap

Spend the money we have on pitching instead

There isn't money to spend.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah at this point I'm thinking we see James as the #5 when ST breaks. Possibly Whitely later on if James is better suited or needed in the pen.

Guessing we start with...

JV
ZG
LMJ
Urquidy
James

Maybe there's a diamond in the rough Miley type FA signed but I don't see it.
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

Who though?

Aren't many decent options left besides maybe Ryu and Keuchel but I wouldn't give either of them close to what they probably want.

I think we'll need to trade for a starter but we need some relief help. There's money in the budget for that, plus we'll save a few million by trading Reddick
Deluxe
AG
I'm fairly certain we won't go into the season counting on inexperienced guys to fill the 4/5 spots in the rotation. Also agree that Ryu and Keuchel are not options for us. To me, the only question is whether we add a high caliber starter via trade or snag 1-2 under-the-radar veteran types as free agency starts winding down in late January.
Ag_07
AG
Trading for a high end starter and trading Reddick aren't gonna happen.

We don't have the trade chips after JV, Cole, and Grienke trades (besides Tucker and Whitley but they're going nowhere) or the salary to take on an aquired top end starter. Only way it happens is if Correa gets shipped which I still see as highly unlikely. Even then it'd have to be for someone cheap enough to afford.

As far as Reddick it's just gonna be tough to move that contract. I figure if someone would've wanted him he'd have been traded by now. I just don't see it happening.
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

Trading for a high end starter and trading Reddick aren't gonna happen.

We don't have the trade chips after JV, Cole, and Grienke trades (besides Tucker and Whitley but they're going nowhere) or the salary to take on an aquired top end starter. Only way it happens is if Correa gets shipped which I still see as highly unlikely. Even then it'd have to be for someone cheap enough to afford.

As far as Reddick it's just gonna be tough to move that contract. I figure if someone would've wanted him he'd have been traded by now. I just don't see it happening.

I think we may trade for a diamond in the rough number 3 or 4, not a top starter type of guy. Think someone on Miley's level with maybe some more upside.

Reddick, I think the right move is to just eat a huge portion of his salary and combine him with a trade.

Trading Correa is something that should be seriously considered, but only for a very good number 3 type starter with some more years of club control
Marvin
AG
I expect this next season will be closer to 90 wins than 100. Nothing wrong with that, but it won't be like the past three years.
bearkatag15
AG

Enjoy the suck

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Deluxe
AG
3/$55mm for Keuchel seems about right
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Contract roughly equivalent with the value of a qualifying offer for three years. Quite the difference from when he was looking for Cole level money last year.

Hope the White Sox don't use the shift, we all know how much Dallas loves that.
W
AG
Keuchel got his comeuppance with only a 3-year deal

Mathguy64
AG
Because I'm too lazy to look it up, anyone remember what he turned down from us? Or what was speculated?
Farmer1906
AG
He wanted 20+ and more years. He didn't get it. Still a decent deal. Good for Dallas. I'll continue to root for him when not negatively effecting us.
. . .
Quote:

Keuchel rejected a five-year, $90-million extension from the Houston Astros during the 2016 season, sources told Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

The 2015 Cy Young winner turned down the offer because he didn't want to look back and see he "left money on the table," according to Rosenthal. Instead, he pitched the 2016 season under a one-year, $7.25-million deal - a then-record for a first-year arbitration-eligible player - before avoiding arbitration with two more one-year contracts. He earned $29.6 million over the past three seasons.

Farmer1906
AG
Assuming he could sign a deal at around 2 year 20 M in 2021 then he'll make about the same money.
E
AG
that would be 3 different contracts and many more headaches to play for teams that wont compete as much as the Astros would
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
MaxPower
E said:

that would be 3 different contracts and many more headaches to play for teams that wont compete as much as the Astros would
Well you also have to consider he took on considerably more risk to get there. That $90M was guaranteed even if he blew out his arm.
Ag_07
AG
Merry Christmas ya filthy animals!!!
Mr.Bond
AG
Merry Christmas Gents
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

JABQ04
AG
Merry Christmas. Onto 2020!
Jackal99
AG
Ag_07 said:

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals!!!

And a happy new year.
Marvin
AG
Merry Christmas and cheers from a beach in Mexico. Woke up with sun, warm water and tequila under the tree!

Ran into a couple of Yankee fans last night. Drank some rum with them and then we each wished nothing but the worst next year. I asked them if Chapman was still shaking his head, haha...
CFTXAG10
AG
Merry Christmas guys! God bless you all and your families.

Go Stros!
AustinCountyAg
sure felt good putting on my astros hat with the World Series patch on this morning at the in laws while they all settled with just the postseason patch (Yankees fans).
AustinCountyAg
The Chris Burke walkoff was always my favorite walkoff homerun in astros history. The Altuve one doesn't even compare. Instant boner and chills watching it every time. **** I love Jose. Literally.
spadilly
S
From BIL and SIL:

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Good guy Lance at it again

Post removed:
by user
bearkatag15
AG
Random Yankees fan's top 50 position players and top 30 starting pitchers lists.

Greinke is probably a bit low. Position players ranking is interesting.

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Ag_07
AG
How exactly does that numbering system he's using work?
First Page Last Page
Page 51 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.