*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,773 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Thanks for that Garrit
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
W
AG
Ag_07 said:

This kinda shlt makes me sick to my stomach.

If LAA or HOU or SD would've made a bigger offer he'd have chosen them.

It had nothing to do with some stupid sign he made as a kid. It's nothing but pandering to the masses and media.
yep, even Mike Hampton would agree
ClickClack
AG
Ag_07 said:

. . . said:

It had nothing to do with some stupid sign he made as a kid. It's nothing but pandering to the masses and media.

Of course it is. And that's what the biz is about kind of
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Thanks for that Garrit

Which would make sense considering the only verifiable allegations against us are from 2017.
W
AG
not completely sure how the scheduling works...

but the Astros are playing another 4-game series in the Bronx this year. So NYY will only be at Minute Maid for 3 games (in May).

60% chance Cole will start at MMP
agdaddy04
AG
I really don't like seeing the swoosh on the uniforms.
agproducer
AG
ClickClack said:

Ag_07 said:

. . . said:

Of course it is. And that's what the biz is about kind of
The sign think in definitely pandering, but it was well established that Cole was a Yankees fan growing up. I'm sure if another team offered that kind of cash for his services he would have gone there. You can't fault a guy for chasing the money, and the fact that it was his childhood team was the cherry on top.

What you can fault is the marketing and PR folks who set it up and had him bring out the sign to pander to the fans in an attempt to endear him to New York after he beat that Yankee butt last year.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Deluxe said:

bearkatag15 said:

Thanks for that Garrit

Which would make sense considering the only verifiable allegations against us are from 2017.

But did he hear anything
. . .
Quote:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Gerrit-Cole-reflects-on-his-Astros-days-14916477.php

A reflective Cole said not being used in Game 7 of the 2019 World Series he had gone to the bullpen to warmup for a potential relief appearance wasn't what left a bad taste in his mouth. Rather, it was coming up short in the Fall Classic to the Nationals.

"We all have our own way of handling our emotions, and afterwards it was a bit raw and maybe a bit uncharacteristic of how I tried to handle my business," Cole said.

"But I was angry. It wasn't because I didn't pitch. It was because we lost. And I was sitting down in the bullpen in the same damn seat (as Game 5 against the Red Sox in the 2018 ALCS elimination). We were eight outs away, and maybe I should have switched seats. We had a plan (for me to pitch), it just never came to fruition, unfortunately.

"And dammit, we were just so close."
redline248
AG
ClickClack
AG
redline248 said:

Go figure he's a Red Sox guy. But I agree.
redline248
AG
I know, but it's still funny.
E
AG
redline248 said:

I read his Wikipedia page and it talks about this.

Selected in first round by Yankees, was offered $4 million which was above recommended amount, represented by Boras, and he also never negotiated with the Yankees.

Who gets drafted by their favorite team, gets offered more then expected and doesn't sign???
mwm
I've been silent on this thread since the end of October. The disappointment ran & still runs deep.

Questions: In the 2017, the 'tros played 4 of the 7 game WS in LA, including the deciding game 7. Right? Did LA know or have reason to believe the 'stros had set-up a camera in their CF wall for the purpose of stealing signs? Where was the outcry? Did stealing signs lead to the dodgers booting the ball around is the first inning of game #7?

Is there a place behind all parks where a visiting team can set-up a camera for the purpose of stealing signs? How could the 'stros have "cheated" in any opposing team's stadium? Does MMP have a room for the personnel of each opposing team to set up their own technology?

Has it finally been discovered why it took so long for Marwin to get into the box?

Stealing signs from the opposing team is decades & decades old. Stealing signs will never stop. Some teams are just better at it than others.

Maybe I just don't understand.
Deluxe
AG
It's interesting to look at the Reddit thread with all the Astros cheating allegations linked. Of course the trash can bangs in the half empty stadiums are pretty obvious and damning, but it's funny to see all the confirmation bias at work with some of the other conspiracies. Granted I think some of "whistling" ones from the 2017 WS were from butthurt Dodger fans.

For example, in WS G5, there's a fan conspiracy about a "charge" whistle before the 3-2 pitch that Altuve hit just foul down the line, and then the same whistle before the next 3-2 pitch that he homered on to tie the game.

See 2:44:58 mark here:

But it takes literally 1% of my brainpower to notice:
1) There's some high screeched whistling throughout the video. If it was someone in the Astros dugout, they'd just do it after the signs are shown.
2) The charge whistle on the first 3-2 pitch meant something different than the second 3-2 pitch, because one was a slider and one was a fastball.
3) The charge whistle on the second 3-2 pitch happens while Maeta is STILL LOOKING AT SIGNS.

Anyway, I have to think we'll ultimately be vindicated on most of the whistling stuff. If we found a way to relay signs based off a camera live-feed in the playoffs, I have to think we were using some other method. The whistling in a loud/full stadium is just way too variable. As a hitter, it would just confuse me more.

However, if we're going to say that whistling is evidence of cheating, how about this Aaron Judge AB against Cleveland in the 2017 ALDS? A game where the Yankees scored 6 runs in 2 innings off Kluber (suspicious).

See 1:07:20 mark here:

You don't hear much until the Indians catcher puts down signs for the 2-2 pitch. Then all of a sudden there's a very distinct whistle. Breaking ball away. Next pitch to Judge on the 3-2 count. Less distinct whistle. Breaking ball. Next pitch. No whistle. Fastball. Next pitch. No whistle. Fastball. Judge still looked kinda fooled.

But this was one the road. How could the Yankees have possibly been whistling signs? Maybe because they had a live feed in their dugout!!!! Notice what's going on behind Gary Sanchez in the on deck circle at 1:08:50. There's literally a live feed of the game obviously on display. It would have been very easy for someone in the Yankee dugout to watch the signs being put down and relay a signal to the hitter... even on the road.

The irony to all this is that it was PERFECTLY LEGAL to have a live feed of the game in the dugout at the time, which is basically what the Astros were doing with their centerfield camera.
cc10106
I don't know how they could have gotten away with that in LA. Darvish was tipping pitches in Game 7, anyway, if I remember right.

I wondered often after the 2018 ALDS Game 2 why an MLB official showed up to The Homerun Pump and started looking around moments after Bregman homered off of Bauer, but I just assumed it was rampant paranoia and not due to cheating allegations.
YNWA_AG
AG
A month ago someone watched the entire game and there was whistling during all at bats-Astros and dodgers. And there was whistling during all types of pitches at random.. There's no way to prove that Astros cheated that way.
mwm
Is the Vandy whistler a 'stros fan too? (I hope not).
Teddy Perkins
AG
agproducer
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

I'm glad the Astros have ZG.

Hinch STILL should have not pulled Greinke in Game 7.

Oh, and **** Soto!
Ag_07
AG
Agnzona
Who in the minors are we likely to see up next?
redline248
AG
Has to be Whitley, right?
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yea that's not going to happen for a long time for me. You think Seattle fans have forgotten/let go Pete Carroll being a moron on the 1 yard line?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Deluxe
AG
Agnzona said:

Who in the minors are we likely to see up next?
I honestly don't think we'll see Whitley until June at the earliest. Unless he has the best spring of all time time, I suspect he'll start at AAA where we can keep his innings count down and let him prove he's ready. It also seems like our tact to wait until after the super two deadline to call up our big guns. FWIW, he's not on the 40 yet.

One guy who could challenge Whitley for first major league debut in 2020 is Kent Emanuel. He's already on the 40 and he's a lefty. But it's possible Whitley could be the first. Our other minor league pitchers on our 40 like Armenteros, Deetz, Perez and Sneed have already played for the big club.
ClickClack
AG
agproducer said:

Teddy Perkins said:

I'm glad the Astros have ZG.

Hinch STILL should have not pulled Greinke in Game 7.

Oh, and **** Soto!

Ag_07
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B6QvjMDANxg

As you can imagine the comments are pretty brutal.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545
AG
That's a shame

Miley has a great year
Mathguy64
AG
Miley had a great March, April, May, June and July. August was rocky, September was horrifically craptastic and let's don't even discuss October.
Pahdz
Not surprised people are the worst behind the keyboard
Bregxit
AG
Glad I don't have an Instacrap account and cannot see the comments.
Mr.Bond
AG
Machete is back on a 2 year deal
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Agnzona
Is like to see machete lose 15 pounds and work on his bat speed. I think he has decent to good hitter inside that pear body somewhere...
First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.