*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,755 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
of course the problem with holding onto Correa...

the longer the 'stros keep him...the fewer years/months of control a potential trading partner will have.

and the trading partner may (or will) offer less in return
MaxPower
I've tried to break down the options and trading Correa for a pitcher is the only thing that makes sense. Castillo would be preferred but Syndergaard would be the most logical in both sides. They'd have to throw in something else though because Syndergaard simply doesn't have the potential Correa does overall. Maybe Francisco Alvarez to give a high upside catching prospect.
Deluxe
AG
Total hypothetical just out of curiosity:

Would y'all do Correa, Reddick and Whitley for DeGrom?
Ag_07
AG
No

DeGrom has a pretty big contract.

Thor would be ideal but he only has this year and next under team control. Guess if you didn't sign him it's be the same as letting Correa walk in FA.

And I think Thor has a LOT of potential. Like he could be ColeV2.0. Go from pretty good to a top of the game elite Cy Young type.
Mathguy64
AG
Deluxe said:

Total hypothetical just out of curiosity:

Would y'all do Correa, Reddick and Whitley for DeGrom?

No.
AggiEE
I don't think I'd trade Correa for Thor.

Thor's more of a gamble, maybe you can make him into a more elite pitcher, but maybe not. Correa's only downside is mostly his health. He's obviously excellent in the field, and while I'm annoyed at his plate discipline, his ability to hit for power isn't questioned.

I'd want a pitcher with more years, or a few high quality prospects thrown in the mix. I'd honestly rather trade for a more diamond in the rough type pitcher via our farm instead.
redline248
AG
W said:

of course the problem with holding onto Correa...

the longer the 'stros keep him...the fewer years/months of control a potential trading partner will have.

and the trading partner may (or will) offer less in return

I know this isn't popular with a lot of fans, but if he's good it's not a problem at all.
the last of the bohemians
If we trade Correa, is Bregman a long term solution at short stop. Bregman is a great 3rd basemen but I would rate his SS as so-so
astros4545
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

If we trade Correa, is Bregman a long term solution at short stop. Bregman is a great 3rd basemen but I would rate his SS as so-so

If you are the 15th best defensive shortstop
And also the best offensive shortstop,

It's a way to make a living
The seeing eye test tells me that the best fielding SS has a very big impact on your team's pitching over 162 games than the 15th best SS, .... oh wait I'm not sure how to factor the top SS who only plays 50 games
Farmer1906
AG
The problem with Bregman at SS isn't just that he's not as good defensively. It's that it weakens is across the board. Yuli isn't as good at 3B and if we develop Alvarez, he won't be as good as Yuli.
Agree 100% farmer....Wouldn't be a bad idea to use toro in rotation twice a week at 3rd to let Correa have more time off...if his fragile ego would allow that , I guess Diaz should factor into the equation but toro has more upside and needs playing time
W
AG
I would gladly take 140 games played from Correa in 2020 right now
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

I would gladly take 140 games played from Correa in 2020 right now

Yup. If we don't get completely blown away in a trade I want CC. He's pretty Freaking good.
Beat40
For Carlos, I think the question is different.

I think the question is: Should Carlos play 3B?
MaxPower
Another aspect is how much traditional defensive values matter as much as we use the shift, specifically at 3B and SS.
dshedd41
S
monarch
S
Did Bregman play SS at LSU?
Texaggie7nine
Yep
7nine
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bregxit
AG
Alex Bregman
AG
Damn, decent sized fire there.
Farmer1906
AG
Looks like the dumpsters have been delivered.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
If and only if nobody was hurt during this, I'm going to get years of mileage out of it.
dshedd41
S
http://www.si.com/mlb/2019/12/14/houston-astros-sign-stealing-operation-one-witness-admits-during-investigation
Gig’em Aggies!
redline248
AG
dshedd41 said:

http://www.si.com/mlb/2019/12/14/houston-astros-sign-stealing-operation-one-witness-admits-during-investigation

You know, if the media was as voracious in its coverage of government scandal as it is on sports, we might not be in trillions of dollars of debt.
JABQ04
AG
dshedd41 said:

I still reiterate that Mike Fiers is a possay ass beech. CSing MFer.
CFTXAG10
AG
Go ahead and open Pandora's box MLB, triple dog dare ya
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Rangers got Kluber
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

If and only if nobody was hurt during this, I'm going to get years of mileage out of it.
From an article in the Athletic, the Rangers are in trouble if they can't start the season there because of the fire:

Quote:

The Rangers are past the point of no return, however: Globe Life Park has already begun renovations to become an XFL stadium and is no longer suitable for baseball. Should the fire cause the opening of the stadium to be delayed beyond March 31 the home opener against (of course) Anthony Rendon and the Angels it's unclear where exactly that game would take place.
mAgnoliAg
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

From an article in the Athletic, the Rangers are in trouble if they can't start the season there because of the fire:

Quote:

The Rangers are past the point of no return, however: Globe Life Park has already begun renovations to become an XFL stadium and is no longer suitable for baseball. Should the fire cause the opening of the stadium to be delayed beyond March 31 the home opener against (of course) Anthony Rendon and the Angels it's unclear where exactly that game would take place.

Rangers home opener in the tiny UTA baseball field is gonna be glorious
YNWA_AG
AG
I would assume they would go to Dr Pepper ballpark if they went local
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Rangers got Kluber
From a city that saw it's river on fire to a city that saw it's home ballpark on fire.
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Quote:

They should start checking to see if the Trop is free that date. Cant change the schedule and inconvenience any season ticket holders.
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.