*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,199 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trout, Rendon, Pujols, and Upton will combine to make about $120 MM the next 2 seasons.

pitching anyone?
W
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

Why are they considering trading toro???
Somebody has to play 3rd when Correa gets his next massage.
yes, Toro and his development is a big part of the Astros' plan to remain a postseason contender...after many of the veteran position players depart after 2020 & 2021
Kashchei
AG
Frok said:

Seriously though, how many kick in the nuts have we had since Altuve hit that home run in game 6 of the ALCS?

So much this. All we had to do was win one more ****ing game and nothing would have bothered me!
Kashchei
AG
And to me, Cole never felt like he was truly a part of the team. Yeah he was lights out for 2 years, but it always seemed like he was just a rental and was looking for his next team (and payday). Well, he got it. Fk him.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't get these takes. He never did anything to not be apart of the team until he wasn't apart of the team. He had a great relationship with at least some of his teammates. He was a pretty big cheerleader for JV. Just because he wasn't likely to return so **** him? Can you honestly say you'd take an offer worth 100 M less in order to stay with the Astros?
CoachRTM
AG
I'm glad that the big spender in our division is stupid.

If they used that payroll efficiently, they'd be the favorites in our division most years.
Farmer1906
AG
We're actually the biggest spender. Angels have another 27 M before they hit the luxury tax.
bearkatag15
AG

Now the Mets are in play for Correa. That's a team I can see being able to resign him
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I don't get these takes. He never did anything to not be apart of the team until he wasn't apart of the team. He had a great relationship with at least some of his teammates. He was a pretty big cheerleader for JV. Just because he wasn't likely to return so **** him? Can you honestly say you'd take an offer worth 100 M less in order to stay with the Astros?
Agreed...not only for JV but remember the combined no no, he was barking at fans that they better not leave early.

He also used the word "we" a lot when discussing his outings. I didn't like how he handled himself after game 7 either but dude pitched his ass off for us and now he's getting a huge payday.
Mathguy64
AG
These contracts are only going to get bigger. I can't imagine what both the average level and outliers like Cole and Rendon will look like in 10 years. Not to mention what ticket prices will look like.
bearkatag15
AG

Mets add another starter.
Mathguy64
AG
How many more starters do the Mets need? They do realize 5 is the normal limit right?
BullSprig07
AG
I don't get it either. Imagine the competitor of whatever company you work for now came to you and said;

• We would like to pay you more than anyone has ever been paid to do this job
  • We will guarantee the money, even if your work doesn't live up to our expectations
  • If you want to go elsewhere in 5 years you can break the contract. We can't, but you can.

Who TF wouldn't take that deal!? He behaved kind of questionable after game 7, other than that he seemed to be a good teammate and pitched his ass of here. Would you guys have rather him strung us along with him dropping tidbits hinting he wanted to sign and stay here? His intentions were pretty clear all year.
Ag_07
AG
Signing Porcello so they can give us Thor for Correa straight up
Bobby Jimbo
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Fun fact - I watched that part of the movie with the dubs turned off. He's actually screaming out "I'm somebody's mommy!"
Frok
AG
mathguy86 said:

How many more starters do the Mets need? They do realize 5 is the normal limit right?

Having lots of starting pitching is a huge advantage in the playoffs. Otherwise you pitch Will Harris 5 games in a row and the other hitters learn him and make you lose the world series.
BullSprig07
AG
Frok said:

Having lots of starting pitching is a huge advantage in the playoffs. Otherwise you pitch Will Harris 5 games in a row and the other hitters learn him and make you lose the world series.
Ouch
CFTXAG10
AG

Quote:

astros4545
AG
Not Will Harris' fault
W
AG
MLB is not going to have a middle class much longer so to speak.

there will be the guys in the $30 MM to $40 MM club...then the young players (pre-free agency) in the $10 MM or less club.

and hardly anyone inbetween. And anyone who is in the middle ground will have just a 1-year contract. (see Didi Gregorious)

won't see anymore Reddick-type contracts. 4 years at $52 MM for a good solid veteran player. Those guys just get 1 or maybe 2-year deals
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Now the Mets are in play for Correa. That's a team I can see being able to resign him
It does seem like a logical destination for him. If not now than as a free agent. Beltran manager. NY market.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

MLB is not going to have a middle class much longer so to speak.

there will be the guys in the $30 MM to $40 MM club...then the young players (pre-free agency) in the $10 MM or less club.

and hardly anyone inbetween. And anyone who is in the middle ground will have just a 1-year contract. (see Didi Gregorious)

won't see anymore Reddick-type contracts. 4 years at $52 MM for a good solid veteran player. Those guys just get 1 or maybe 2-year deals
Maybe a smaller middle class, but there are still deals being made. This is just from 2019 & 2020.

Grandal - 4 year, 73 M
Moustakas - 4 year, 64 M
AJ Pollock - 5 year, 60 M
McCutchen - 3 year, 50 M

For SP too
Lynn - 3 year, 30 M
Eovaldi - 4 year, 68 M
Gibson - 3 year, 28 M
Wabs
AG
Degrom and Thor for Correa?
redline248
AG
Quote:

He also used the word "we" a lot when discussing his outings.

I agree that Cole did nothing to set himself apart from the rest of the team, but I'm 100% sure he uses 'we' to refer to himself
AustinCountyAg
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2866514-best-potential-packages-for-carlos-correa-after-trade-rumors-emerge#slide5

some interesting trade ideas here.

I personally think you hang on to Carlos until the trade deadline and hope/pray he can have a productive half season and his trade value increases. The only way you trade him now is if you can get a haul (which is possible).

either way you either trade him now, or this season and reload on prospects, or proven MLB player(s).
Ag_07
AG
The only problem with trading him at the deadline is that rebuilders don't typically buy at the deadline. So it's most likely a situation where we're in the playoffs and you're dealing him to another playoff team.

Not ideal

redline248
AG
Astros lose 3 to Rule 5 Draft, and select no one

AustinCountyAg
good point. also the fact he only has 1 1/2 years left of team control at the mid season point would make it tough to get a lot in return relatively speaking
MAROON
AG
redline248 said:

indications of a good minor league program and a stacked major league line-up.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

What is the rule on this? They have to stay in the bigs or just on the 40 man for the teams that selected them?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
have to stay on the big league club or be offered back
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
WES2006AG
AG
Anybody have an idea when we will see the Astros release their Nike jerseys. They are starting to trickle out from other teams but haven't seen any from the Stros.
07ag
AG
WES2006AG said:

Anybody have an idea when we will see the Astros release their Nike jerseys. They are starting to trickle out from other teams but haven't seen any from the Stros.
https://news.nike.com/news/nike-x-major-league-baseball-uniforms-2020-official-images
https://ts.la/eric59704
CFTXAG10
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 46 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.