*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,785 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess the whole side story of having family out west was bull**** then if he turned down nearly 300 million from the Angels.
astros4545
AG
Cromagnum said:

I guess the whole side story of having family out west was bull**** then if he turned down nearly 300 million from the Angels.

Probably tired of hearing from Brandon Crawford how he took him deep

Family can be a real *****
irish pete ag06
AG
cap-n-jack said:

willie wonka said:

Just wait til he makes a start at MMP and we steal all his signs. We be banging on that trash can like a mad man.

I've a good mind to get season tickets and take a trash can to every game and bang it like a madman Oakland style. Especially if Fiers and Cole are on the hill.
We should start a trash can based Oakland style drum line. Would be ultimate trolling.
Thinice
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I suppose the good news here is that with the huge names coming off the board early with enormous contracts, that will leave teams with less money to sign the mid tier guys...

I agree, Cole probably sees himself as a big hero but in the big picture it's hurting more guys than helping.
CFTXAG10
AG
Waste Management has so many promo opportunities its insane. If they don't take advantage they are doing it wrong.
Agnzona
Everyone sitting in the outfield seats needs binoculars and a noise maker of some sort.
Psych OPS
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
jkag89
Besides his lack of decorum following Game 7, I have no ill will toward Cole and do not begrudge him going after largest contract possible. I do believe he never was going to consider remaining with the Astros and this was a factor in Luhnow going after Greinke at the trade deadline, not just going all in in an attempt to win the Series.
CFTXAG10
AG
Agnzona said:

Everyone sitting in the outfield seats needs binoculars and a noise maker of some sort.
Psych OPS
Just one person in the SRO area by the home run pump with a big a** gong with a huge H-Star logo engraved in it. Plus everybody who enters that specific SRO area is handed a pair of binoculars.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
  • Package Reddick & Correa for Luis Castillo
  • Promote Kyle Tucker to starting RF
  • Platoon Toro & Diaz at 3rd
  • Trade prospects for Wilson Contreras
  • Perform fecal transplant on Forrest Whitley using Gerrit Cole's poop (Spice Melange)
Marvin
AG
willie wonka said:

Just wait til he makes a start at MMP and we steal all his signs. We be banging on that trash can like a mad man.

I keep saying that we need a trash can giveaway for whenever Fiers comes back in town. Include a little plastic bat and every fan bang the hell out of it when Fiers starts his windup.
CFTXAG10
AG
In regards to Cole, after having some time to think about it this morning I am happy for the guy. That is a life changing contract. I am also happy the Yanks are tied up with that **** for 9 years guaranteed. What could go wrong?
Marvin
AG
Bobby Jimbo said:

• Package Reddick & Correa for Luis Castillo
  • Promote Kyle Tucker to starting RF
  • Platoon Toro & Diaz at 3rd
  • Trade prospects for Wilson Contreras
  • Perform fecal transplant on Forrest Whitley using Gerrit Cole's poop (Spice Melange)

Sign Rendon.

(let me dream)
Bobby Jimbo
AG
I'd totally be down for that, but given the current salary concerns, I don't think it's going to happen.
irish pete ag06
AG
Thinice said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

I suppose the good news here is that with the huge names coming off the board early with enormous contracts, that will leave teams with less money to sign the mid tier guys...

I agree, Cole probably sees himself as a big hero but in the big picture it's hurting more guys than helping.

Yep, gonna probably have to shut down a couple more minor league teams to afford this.
Cromagnum
AG
Rendon would be a fantastic addition.
htxag09
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

In regards to Cole, after having some time to think about it this morning I am happy for the guy. That is a life changing contract. I am also happy the Yanks are tied up with that **** for 9 years guaranteed. What could go wrong?
Literally every offer he received would be "life changing." Including the Astros' qualifying offer.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
What will have to happen for us to now be able to compete with the Yankees on paper?
AustinAg2K
Why would the Yankees pay so much for Cole? I thought the only reason they couldn't beat him was because of sign stealing.
astros4545
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

What will have to happen for us to now be able to compete with the Yankees on paper?

Just have our team planes make it to their destinations in one piece
AustinCountyAg
all this Astros talk today has me browsing the interwebs to buy a new hat for this year.
k20dub
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

all this Astros talk today has me browsing the interwebs to buy a new hat for this year.
12thmanisright
So looking at this from a different angle... we all know that signing Rendon is probably far fetched due to salaries... but if they are really serious about moving Correa right now (how accurate the Castillo rumor is who knows) but for something similar in a high end starter.

What options are out there at 1B? Could you plug Gurriel at 3B and see what you could find to lengthen the lineup that way? I know Rizzo and the CHC extension talks have stalled and they have talked about moving some pieces like Contreras or Bryant. Does that also mean Rizzo too?

I am not sure what the numbers look like for him though salary wise or if we would want to shoot our load on a trade for a Catcher instead but it seems the market Catcher wise is Contreras or nothing when it comes to making a bigger move with top end prospects involved.
Agnzona
Now is not the time to move Carlos. Let him play this year if relatively healthy trade him at the deadline or EOY not now.
12thmanisright
If you can trade him for an arm like Castillo with four plus years of control you absolutely do that, especially if they are willing to take on Reddick too.

My opinion is you need to find another SP and if Correa can net you a talent like Castillo with multiple years of control you make that move now. You shed payroll, replace Cole, and maybe shed enough payroll to give you more options to add to the lineup. And even if you can't make another big move for a bat... you still have in-house options at 3B.

BullSprig07
AG
I would agree in a general sense, but if the Reds really are willing to part with Castillo (who knows if that's legit) right now then you go ahead and trade ahead of schedule.

He turns 27 tomorrow. He's due under $600K this year and arbitration eligible through 2023 giving you a front line starter at ages 27-30 for relatively cheap.
Farmer1906
AG
Between Altuve, Bregman, what is left on the JV & Greinke deals, and what we project to pay George, I cannot see us spending any crazy money on anyone. We gotta bargain bin shop and develop talent for a while.
W
AG
and the Angels...miss on Strasburg...miss on Cole.

their starting rotation is going to be 5 journeymen.

I guess Trout doesn't have the "salesman" personality that Andy Pettitte does
W
AG
yes, the Astros like most teams...can only have so many $30 MM players on the payroll at one time.

right now that is Altuve, JV, and Greinke. And Bregman is not too far behind at $20 MM. Plus whatever George gets.

good news...the squeeze is only thru 2021. Then relief is coming
EagleAg19
This deal just seems like a really dumb move for the reds.
AgsMyDude
AG
Agnzona said:

Now is not the time to move Carlos. Let him play this year if relatively healthy trade him at the deadline or EOY not now.
  • Move Carlos for a SP
  • Bregs to SS
  • Sign Rendon
  • Win the WS
Agnzona
If you can get a quality young starter sure, I am assuming no GM is that dumb or risk unaware?
Wabs
AG
I'd be surprised if the Reds agreed to the trade. If I'm the Astros I'd do it, no question.
wangus12
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Agnzona said:

• Move Carlos for a SP
  • Bregs to SS
  • Sign Rendon
  • Win the WS

I'm down on this bad boy.
wangus12
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

That is a generational changing contract. His kids grandkids should be set for life as long as its well managed.
Deluxe
AG
A few quick (aka classic Deluxe TLDR) thoughts on Cole to Yankees:

1) Don't want to comment too much on the bigger picture yet before our roster is set but I think the Yankees are now the favorites in the AL... and that's ok. When we look at our ~10 year window, some years we're going to have the best team and some years we're not. Having the clear-cut best team like we did last year was more of an exception than a rule. I don't mind being an underdog. The Yankees were underdogs to us in 2017 and 2019 and both those ALCS's were close and could have gone either way. We can still beat them with our current squad.

2) The Yankees weren't going to let us be their daddy for too long. We eliminated them from the playoffs three times in five years. The other two years they missed the playoffs and were eliminated by their rivals. Yankees mad. And when Yankees mad, Yankees throw big money at not being mad. They missed out on Cole as a high schooler and in the 2018 trade market. They weren't going to miss a third time.

3) It will be interesting to see how Cole performs. Obviously the Yankees are paying him as if he's the pitcher that he was in the second half of last year + playoffs, but it wasn't that long ago that we was kinda average looking. He exited May last year with a 4.02 ERA. I expect him to be ace-level good for a few more years, but times change, pitchers get older and lose an mph or two, the game around them changes, etc. In the current hitter environment of optimized launch angle, Cole's ability to throw high hit and work in spinners is perfect to generate tons of swing and misses. I think Cole is talented enough to adapt his stuff to just about any environment, but he also won't have our brain trust guiding him on how to do it. Anyway, will be interesting to see.

4) Like Teddy posted a page or two before, pitching in NY isn't for everyone. One thing for sure is that the crap he pulled after G7 would get him verbally bodyslammed by the NY media. He does seem like he can be a little sensitive and thin-skinned at times. That might not be a good match for NY. If he pitches well, he'll be loved and it won't matter. But the first sign of adversity will be interesting to watch. He should ask Randy Johnson what it's like dealing with NY media.

5) I think there's going to be some big time unintended consequences of Cole getting this big deal in terms of MLBPA-owner relations. On the surface it seems positive, but I think the precedents that Boras will attempt to establish off it in the next few years will be outrageous. Cole got this deal because of a perfect storm of circumstances: 1) great pitcher with unbelievably productive contract year, 2) durable history, 3) best swing/miss stuff in the game, 4) bidding war between two teams most known to give out crazy deals, 5) absolute desperation by the Yankees. Guys like Kluber, Thor, Bauer, etc will be free agents in the coming years. If their agents try to comp their value anywhere near Cole, we're going to have another situation like last winter where no one signs til June.
First Page Last Page
Page 43 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.