*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,146 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hate that. Screw the yankees.
512Ag
AG
iBrad said:

Buck Compton said:

Just reported that Cole ALSO has a player-only opt-out clause after 5 years if he wants to get another huge deal. But if he starts to suck, the Yankees are stuck.
I hope we see a regression to his Pirates days, but that's probably wishful thinking.
He's worked with Strom for two years now. Whatever mechanic or approach was holding him back from his potential in Pittsburgh is long gone now. Unless the Yankees staff does something drastic to F him up, I don't see him regressing all that much until age kicks in.
Frok
AG
Cole is awesome but my goodness I just don't think one player is worth that kind of money.

gigemJTH12
AG
enjoy cutting your hair and your beard, Cole.
dshedd41
S
I wake up to this:

Gig’em Aggies!
AustinCountyAg
Biggest pet of this that sucks for me is my father in law and brother in laws are all die hard Yankees. So ****ing annoying how they act at times. Of course they have no connection to NY and only started liking them when they were winning in the 90's. It's so annoying how they Yankees do nothing but throw money at players and cross their fingers.

On the flip side it is better he's in the AL East instead of the west IMO. Can't fault cole, but yeah he's gunna look like a ***** after he shaved and cuts his beard. He already sounds like one.
Farmer1906
AG
512Ag said:

iBrad said:

Buck Compton said:

Just reported that Cole ALSO has a player-only opt-out clause after 5 years if he wants to get another huge deal. But if he starts to suck, the Yankees are stuck.
I hope we see a regression to his Pirates days, but that's probably wishful thinking.
He's worked with Strom for two years now. Whatever mechanic or approach was holding him back from his potential in Pittsburgh is long gone now. Unless the Yankees staff does something drastic to F him up, I don't see him regressing all that much until age kicks in.

He's going to regress some because it's just so hard to stay as good as he was last year. Not saying he won't be great though.
JYDog90
AG
Just wait til he makes a start at MMP and we steal all his signs. We be banging on that trash can like a mad man.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Mathguy64
AG
So between Cole and Stanton they will pay 2 guys close to $70MM next year and they will play in 50 games total?
cap-n-jack
willie wonka said:

Just wait til he makes a start at MMP and we steal all his signs. We be banging on that trash can like a mad man.

I've a good mind to get season tickets and take a trash can to every game and bang it like a madman Oakland style. Especially if Fiers and Cole are on the hill.
Big Al 1992
AG
For $324 mil I'd cut my whole family's hair off.
Max Power
AG
He was always a rental, I trust Luhnow, let's see if he makes any moves for a diamond in the rough.
Big Al 1992
AG
Think how many more trash cans and buzzers we can buy with all that money saved.
astros4545
AG
astros4545
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
Frok
AG
Seriously though, how many kick in the nuts have we had since Altuve hit that home run in game 6 of the ALCS?

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I suppose the good news here is that with the huge names coming off the board early with enormous contracts, that will leave teams with less money to sign the mid tier guys...
Ag_07
AG
My God...$324MM for 9 years is such a ridiculous contract.

Good riddance.

We've won one without him before.
Agnzona
I really bought his I want to go home bit.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Mathguy64
AG
This contract supposes that someone else was there with $320MM over 9 yrs. I wonder what the next closest bid was and who made it. Something tells me the Yankees way overpaid and outbid themselves.
Big Al 1992
AG
Those "all time" contracts always work out .... for the player.
Ag_07
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I suppose the good news here is that with the huge names coming off the board early with enormous contracts, that will leave teams with less money to sign the mid tier guys...

Would be smart to kick the tires on bringing Keuchel back?

What kind of contract would he be looking for?
JDUB08AG
AG
Agnzona said:

I really bought his I want to go home bit.

I didn't. Everything he said was 100% indicative of getting the most money he possibly could. Told Arod and crew he would make those who paved the way for free agency proud. He was only driven by money. Nothing else.
. . .
Not sure if they were next closest but...
agdaddy04
AG
Got a text this morning from my Yankee friend and said they'll be chasing 120 now. He did qualify that as long as Stanton is healthy though. Ha.
Teddy Perkins
AG
That is an astronomical deal. Hope the Astros were a big part of driving that number up for the Yanks. Don't get it twisted though, Cole was exciting as hell to watch. You don't see guys that dominate on the mound very often. That said, his actions after the World Series really tainted my opinion of him as a person. I would love for the pressure of performing in NY to get to him.
Prosperdick
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

That is an astronomical deal. Hope the Astros were a big part of driving that number up for the Yanks. Don't get it twisted though, Cole was exciting as hell to watch. You don't see guys that dominate on the mound very often. That said, his actions after the World Series really tainted my opinion of him as a person. I would love for the pressure of performing in NY to get to him.
Good point...I could see him getting tired of their BS questions VERY quickly, especially if he struggles at all.
rak1693
AG
Here's to hoping Cole is a little bit like Samson, cuts his hair and loses everything
WES2006AG
AG
Ag_07 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Would be smart to kick the tires on bringing Keuchel back?

What kind of contract would he be looking for?
I would love to see Dallas back on a reasonable contract but I have to imagine that bridge has been burned.
Big Al 1992
AG
Frok
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Oh stop, he was influenced by the money
Big Al 1992
AG
Yep - it was always about the money - hence the vomit emoji.
gigemJTH12
AG
since we joined the AL, literally every time we go to the world series and we dont have Gerrit Cole, we win the whole thing.

This is a big win for us.
n_touch
Frok said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Oh stop, he was influenced by the money

And the desire to pitch there. He was a Yankees fan growing up so it makes since. Can't fault him because everyone one us would leave for a dream job and a stupid amount of money.

Were he can be faulted is the BS right after the WS. He couldn't get out fast enough. Not to mention the BS spewed by he and his wife about being close to home and olayi g near family. Starting to wonder if that was ever a consideration.
First Page Last Page
Page 42 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.