*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,981 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't say I'm too surprised about unloading Jake. I've always liked him but the $3 million that we'd have to pay him next year is better used elsewhere. Straw can be our reserve outfielder/pinch runner.
dshedd41
S
Noo.....
i like Jake from Rake Farm....
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Whaaaat? But I just got his bat.

It makes sense to get some value for him. We need to give more ABs to TED and maybe Straw too. They're cheaper and the future.
Deluxe
AG
If you had hit more dingers with his bat, we wouldn't have had to deal him.

Agree with your main point though. We have cheaper guys on the roster who can replace him as a reserve outfielder. And we need every dollar we can clear up to spend on pitching.
spadilly
S
The Mets?

Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

If you had hit more dingers with his bat, we wouldn't have had to deal him.

Agree with your main point though. We have cheaper guys on the roster who can replace him as a reserve outfielder. And we need every dollar we can clear up to spend on pitching.
No, if he would have hit more dingers with any bat, we wouldn't have to deal him or at least we'd be dealing him for more.

Farmer1906
AG
Jake is projected to get about 3 M in arbitration. I think this also means we're unlikely to move Reddick.
BCSGrubber
AG
I wonder if reddick's shoulder surgery is trade hang up right now
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Jake is projected to get about 3 M in arbitration. I think this also means we're unlikely to move Reddick.
I was wondering about that. If we do deal Reddick, we'd have a starting outfield of Brantley, Springer and Tucker with Straw as our primary backup and Yordan capable of playing LF. That might be good enough to start the season with and we can address further needs (if necessary) with a mid-season acquisition.
Farmer1906
AG

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Guess we have to keep Reddick now. This seems very odd.

Springer, Brantley, Reddick and Tucker?

I don't want Straw having meaningful at bats ever.
Farmer1906
AG
If you keep that kind of attitude then we'll never develop guys.

Josh Reddick 18+19 OPS .723
Myles Straw 18+19 OPS .747

CFTXAG10
AG

agdaddy04
AG
I know it probably makes sense but I'm going to miss Jake.
Farmer1906
AG
By reached triple-A he means he 0.1 innings in triple A. He spent most of his time in A+ and AA last year.
Deluxe
AG
I'm intrigued by the two prospects we got for Jake...

Blake Taylor is a left handed pitcher (a left handed pitcher!!!) who's 24 and has made his way to AAA with some success out of the bullpen.

Kenedy Corona is a 19 year old Venezuelan outfielder who signed with the Mets last year and did well in his stint in rookie ball.

Neither guy is particularly hyped or heralded but could be interesting assets to watch.
Farmer1906
AG
Corona might end up being a guy down the road.

[url=https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=corona002ken&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-][/url]
Quote:

Kenedy Corona (GCL/ Kingsport/Brooklyn) : .301/.398/.470, 14 2B, 3 3B, 5 HR, 29 RBIs, 146 wRC+, .413 wOBA,

Corona, who was signed in the same class as Alvarez, came out of nowhere to lead all Mets farmhands in wOBA and wRC+. Playing all three outfield positions and showcasing an outstanding eye at the plate, he rose through three levels in 2019. He placed third in the Appalachian League in runs with 35 and first in the league with 73 total bases.
Post removed:
by user
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG
third coast.. said:

The last two posts contradict each other

Edit - well the two before the one right before this haha
Technically he made it to triple A (did in 2018 as well) and he pitched fairly well in A+ & AA in 2019. Both true.
JABQ04
AG
Bye Jake.
Farmer1906
AG
Post removed:
by user
Teddy Perkins
AG
I really doubt Reddick is going anywhere. From an Athletic article:

Quote:

The veteran right fielder has long been thought of as a trade candidate this offseason. Yet because of his salary and 2019 underperformance, it's far from certain a deal will actually come to fruition.

The greatest obstacle the Astros face in any potential Reddick trade negotiation is his salary. They owe him $13 million for 2020, the final year covered under the four-year, $52 million free-agent deal he signed in November 2016. Teams in need of a corner outfielder this offseason will see a lot of options on the free-agent market who would cost much less. So to trade Reddick, the Astros would likely have to pay down a significant portion of his salary.

That the market for free-agent outfielders has been stagnant thus far won't make it any easier for the Astros to move Reddick. And if it turns out weeks from now that the only way for them to trade him is to essentially pay him to play elsewhere, they might prefer to bring him back, maintain their depth and let him compete with Tucker for playing time.
Farmer1906
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

I really doubt Reddick is going anywhere. From an Athletic article:

Quote:

The veteran right fielder has long been thought of as a trade candidate this offseason. Yet because of his salary and 2019 underperformance, it's far from certain a deal will actually come to fruition.

The greatest obstacle the Astros face in any potential Reddick trade negotiation is his salary. They owe him $13 million for 2020, the final year covered under the four-year, $52 million free-agent deal he signed in November 2016. Teams in need of a corner outfielder this offseason will see a lot of options on the free-agent market who would cost much less. So to trade Reddick, the Astros would likely have to pay down a significant portion of his salary.

That the market for free-agent outfielders has been stagnant thus far won't make it any easier for the Astros to move Reddick. And if it turns out weeks from now that the only way for them to trade him is to essentially pay him to play elsewhere, they might prefer to bring him back, maintain their depth and let him compete with Tucker for playing time.

Yup.

He's fallen off to about as bad as you can be and not be benched. Which is strange because his whole career was just above average with only one bad year mixed in. It's not like he's ancient either. He was 31 in 2018 and 32 last year. He should still be in the back end of his prime.
Deluxe
AG
We should hang onto Reddick to start the season, let him have his April hot streak, then trade him while he's at peak value before his May, June, July, August disappearance.
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07
AG
Two prospects for Jake is a good haul.

He's a really likeable guy but besides his glove he offered nothing to the team.

Sucks to see him go but he's a one dimensional player with not much to offer.
Deluxe
AG
Very fast worker
aTm2004
AG
Not Jake!
W
AG
seems like a good trade.

the outfield is crowded and the 'stros need prospects to fill the minor leagues (for future deadline trades) or to eventually help the big league club.

this may also mean that interest in Reddick has been minimal...as expected

Cen-Tex
AG
Jake = a solid Astro. Too bad its a business.
Deluxe
AG
Suppose we could deal Reddick for a lower level prospect if we pickup $5 million of his 2020 salary. Would you rather have:

Scenario A (keep Reddick) - Tucker/Reddick platoon in RF for ~$14 million

Scenario B (deal Reddick) - Tucker as full time RF for ~$6 million (his salary + $5 million dead money to Reddick) and have $8 million of freed up cap space to help sign a starter or retain Harris

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather have scenario B. Obviously it's all dependent on what we do with the freed up $8 million though. If it's simply used to lower Crane's tax bill, I'd rather have scenario A. But assuming we put the $8 million to good use in the pitching staff, gimme scenario B.
Farmer1906
AG
If we could cut Reddick right now and save 7 M (we can't) then I would do it.
Deluxe
AG
Yea. I suppose a better angle at the Reddick question is what would he get on a one year deal in the open market if he was a free agent right now? The difference between that number and $13 million is probably the amount we'd have to pickup. My post above assumes Reddick could fetch a 1 year, $8 million year deal, which may be a little aggressive.

It's hard to find good comps out there right now but 1 year, $6 million might be reasonable. That would be mean we'd have to pickup $7 million and our "net savings" to use on pitching would be $6 million. I'd probably still do that but it starts to get into a grayer area.
First Page Last Page
Page 36 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.