*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,825 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MLB really has no clue when it comes to marketing their product
Cynic
Pahdz said:

MLB really has no clue when it comes to marketing their product

Baseball does everything they can to make it hard to watch their product.
Ag_07
AG
Maybe Jomboy shouldn't put out videos dissecting things that MLB doesn't want people to see (fights, manager ejections, pitchers using foreign substances, sign stealing)

Just saying...

I enjoy his stuff but I can see how MLB would want to shut him down.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I really like Jomboy's content (despite his obvious bias), and I think it's ridiculous that they're shutting him down.
BCSGrubber
AG
Look at pitching ninja..when the content is pro MLB they will let it slide
Bregxit
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I really like Jomboy's content (despite his obvious bias), and I think it's ridiculous that they're shutting him down.
All of his stuff is still up as of now. It doesn't take Youtube very long to kill a channel for copyright claims...I wonder if this is real.
redline248
AG
The Athletic put out a list of the 20 best games of the decade, and the Astros had 4 games on the list. I'm going to put them in 4 separate posts.

Quote:

20. 2019 ALCS Game 6: Astros 6, Yankees 4
Only six times has a team claimed a pennant on a walk-off home run. Travis Ishikawa did it earlier in the decade, in 2014, for the Giants. But with apologies to Ishikawa and Michael Wacha, the moment does seem to carry just a little more weight when it's Game 6 and not Game 5, when it's a matchup of two 100-win teams, when the ultimate battle is between a recent AL MVP and one of the decade's best relievers. Aroldis Chapman's 2-1 slider could not match his 2-0 slider, and Jos Altuve continued his years-long excellence in the postseason by launching it toward the train tracks in left.
It was the culmination of a thrilling ninth inning that, minutes earlier, had included DJ LeMahieu's tying two-run homer off Roberto Osuna.
redline248
AG
Quote:

17. 2019 World Series Game 7: Nationals 6, Astros 2
A game is not defined solely by its final score or how it ends. It is tied for the largest margin of victory for any game on this list.
However, it seems hard to overstate how surprising Game 7's seventh-inning about-face was in real time. Sure, the Nationals had staged similar comebacks before in winner-take-all contests usually saving them for the eighth. But Zack Greinke looked untouchable, and Gerrit Cole waited in the bullpen. A 2-0 Houston lead felt safe.
Anthony Rendon's one-out homer cut that margin in half, and Howie Kendrick somehow lined Will Harris' actually-very-good cutter off the foul pole in right for the lead. The Nats added on in the eighth and ninth to finish off the biggest World Series upset (by Las Vegas odds) since 1990 and claim their first championship.
redline248
AG
Quote:

9. 2017 World Series Game 2: Astros 7, Dodgers 6 (11)
The first of two games from the 2017 World Series to make the list serves as a prologue to the other. Dave Roberts and the Dodgers proactively pulled Rich Hill after four innings, believing the bullpen could hold what became a 3-1 lead after six. Jansen couldn't close it out, though, allowing an inherited runner to score in the eighth and Marwin Gonzlez's tying homer to lead off the ninth.
In the 10th, Houston greeted Josh Fields with back-to-back homers from Altuve and Carlos Correa. L.A. greeted Ken Giles with a solo home run by Puig, and Enrique Hernndez tied the score with a two-out base hit to right. The Astros again surged ahead in the 11th on a two-run homer from George Springer, and the Dodgers again cut into the lead on Charlie Culberson's two-out solo shot which included an awful lot of celebration from Culberson for a homer that did not actually tie the score. Chris Devenski was able to strike out Puig to even the series heading back to Houston.
There were eight extra-inning World Series games during the decade; this is one of three in which the home team came back in extras to extend the game. L.A.'s 18-inning victory over the Red Sox in 2018 was one of the others, as was a game further down this list.
redline248
AG
Quote:

4. 2017 World Series Game 5: Astros 13, Dodgers 12 (10)
Ahh, the beauty of juxtaposing this game with the duel between Carpenter and Halladay.
The chief legacy of the decade's second half is likely to be the controversial composition of the baseball. Home runs started to surge right after the All-Star break in 2015, a curiously timed and strangely comprehensive pattern across the sport. It was in the 2017 postseason that it really took shape when baseball seemed like it was kind of broken.
No game epitomized that more than Houston's frenzied victory in pivotal Game 5 of the World Series. The 25 runs tied the second-most in a World Series game; the seven home runs set a World Series record. (Three years earlier, the Royals and Giants combined for five homers over seven games.) The Astros and Dodgers combined to erase three different deficits of at least three runs. At one point, three-run homers were hit in three consecutive half-innings. At another, the Astros scored four runs off six pitches by Brandon Morrow.
L.A. scored three in the ninth on a home run by Puig and Chris Taylor's two-out base hit to send the game to extras. In the 10th, Houston built a two-out rally on a hit batter and a walk, with Alex Bregman delivering the walk-off hit to give the Astros a 3-2 series lead.
#5 on the list was 2011 NLDS Game 5: Cardinals 1, Phillies 0 (Carpenter v Halladay mentioned above)
07ag
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Ahh, the beauty of juxtaposing this game with the duel between Carpenter and Halladay.
The chief legacy of the decade's second half is likely to be the controversial composition of the baseball. Home runs started to surge right after the All-Star break in 2015, a curiously timed and strangely comprehensive pattern across the sport. It was in the 2017 postseason that it really took shape when baseball seemed like it was kind of broken.
No game epitomized that more than Houston's frenzied victory in pivotal Game 5 of the World Series. The 25 runs tied the second-most in a World Series game; the seven home runs set a World Series record. (Three years earlier, the Royals and Giants combined for five homers over seven games.) The Astros and Dodgers combined to erase three different deficits of at least three runs. At one point, three-run homers were hit in three consecutive half-innings. At another, the Astros scored four runs off six pitches by Brandon Morrow.
L.A. scored three in the ninth on a home run by Puig and Chris Taylor's two-out base hit to send the game to extras. In the 10th, Houston built a two-out rally on a hit batter and a walk, with Alex Bregman delivering the walk-off hit to give the Astros a 3-2 series lead.
#5 on the list was 2011 NLDS Game 5: Cardinals 1, Phillies 0 (Carpenter v Halladay mentioned above)
how was this only #4? what 3 games were better?

also, i was in attendance at 3 of those 4 astro games,, did anyone make it to all 4?
https://ts.la/eric59704
AggieLit
07ag said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

also, i was in attendance at 3 of those 4 astro games,, did anyone make it to all 4?

Don't have access but I am going to guess they put Game 7 Cubs vs. Indians no. 1 since everyone is so obsessed with the Cubs finally winning, and 2 or 3 would probably be Game 6 of the 2011 WS (iirc) when the Cardinals were twice down two runs with only a single strike remaining and came back both times to ultimately win. No idea what the other one would be.
Farmer1906
AG
Our friends up 45 just committed 30 M (3 years) to a 32-year-old pitcher fresh off a season with a 4.84(ERA), 4.26(FIP), 3.80(xFIP) who's completely ordinary. 55th percentile velo and 49th percentile spin.

But he does an okay job of eating up innings. Pretty consistent at around 160-170.
YNWA_AG
AG
I bet they throw big money at rendon since their remodeled MMP is opening up this year.
Farmer1906
AG
Don't you just love having 3B locked up for the next 5 years? Silver Slugging, Gold Gloving for about 20 M a year.
spadilly
S
Quote:

3. 2014 AL Wild Card Game: Royals 9, Athletics 8 (12)
2. 2011 World Series Game 6: Cardinals 10, Rangers 9 (11)
1. 2016 World Series Game 7: Cubs 8, Indians 7 (10)
Farmer1906
AG

Bummer
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
The Yankees are the biggest bunch of whiny crybabies.

Blinking lights now?

https://nypost.com/2019/11/27/yankees-complain-of-astros-blinking-lights-in-cheating-saga/
agsquirrel97
AG
Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, I am thankful that we don't suck, and our FO is working hard to ensure it stays that way for many years!
bigjag19
AG
So how did Bregman orchestrate Bauer's car getting destroyed?
agsquirrel97
AG
bigjag19 said:

Now he can get a new She-Shier She Shed.
Eso si, Que es
bigjag19 said:

Astros should just buy the car and let fans hit it with a bat below the dugout when Trevor pitches at minute maid.
Farmer1906
AG
I'll be living the dream tomorrow.
n_touch
Farmer1906 said:

sports? penthouse? nightmare?
Farmer1906
AG
n_touch said:

Farmer1906 said:

Batting practice at MMP.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Farmer1906 said:

n_touch said:

Farmer1906 said:

Batting practice at MMP.
Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

n_touch said:

Farmer1906 said:

Batting practice at MMP.

How. Much did you spend in season tickets
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

While much has been made of Gerrit Cole's professional relationship with agent Scott Boras this offseason, observers should take note that Cole previously shown a tendency to direct his own fortunes, reminds Tracy Ringolsby of Baseball America. When Cole was a first-round draftee of the Yankees back in 2008, it was Cole and his father, according to Ringolsby, who made the ultimate decision to pursue a collegiate career at UCLA. Cole's first-round signing bonus that year was expected to land around $4MM, but the Cole family apparently believed that the intangible value of an educationto say nothing of another chance of entering the draft at a higher slotoutweighed the benefits of an early payday. Obviously, it doesn't register as news to be reminded that agents are entrusted to work for the best interests of their clients, but it may be worth considering, given their working history, that the former Astros ace and his representatives likely have more in mind this offseason than pure dollar value alone.
bearkatag15
AG
Yep. Geography will play an equal role to the $$$ side of it.
Deluxe
AG
At the end of the day, that's right... agent works for player. Even with Boras. I remember when lots of people thought Boras was influencing Keuchel's decision to holdout but Keuchel basically said it was his choice and that if it was up to Boras, he would have signed much sooner.

Anyway, it seems like Cole's "personal" preference would be to stay in Houston or head back to Cali. Regardless of who he signs with, the deal is going to break AAV/total contract records for a pitcher. Maybe the Phillies put the $300mm number in play and that changes things, but otherwise it's hard for me to imagine him playing in the Northeast.

Part of me thinks the reason he's subtly expressed frustration with the Astros at times (1. before the season and 2. Boras hat following g7) is because he wants to stay but the Astros haven't been willing to come close to his number. My hope is still that Crane says "F it" after everything that's happened over the last month and ponies up.

*The preceding takes were offseason speculation based on nothing of substance.
Deluxe
AG
What do y'all think the plan is with Aaron Sanchez? Sounds like there's a good chance he will be non-tendered. Can't afford to give him a raise on $3.9 million if he might not even pitch next year. Will we try to cut a longer term, team friendly deal with him? Or just let him walk?
iBrad
AG
We had Verlander and Cole for two seasons with no World Series title to show for it. We won it with a less dominant staff, especially during the regular season. I say spend the money elsewhere and let Cole walk.
Farmer1906
AG
There isn't money to spend.
First Page Last Page
Page 33 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.