*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,282 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
03_Aggie said:

Even better, look in the A's dugout and give a fastball inside sign.
We could bang a garbage can in our dugout to make Semien think it's a changeup
512Ag
AG
I 100% endorse as many fans as possible bring one of these to the A's series and bang on it every 2-strike count.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I wanna get season tickets and sit as close to center field as possible, and bring binoculars and a trashcan to all the home games and implement my own sign stealing. No technology, so they can't say shlt
redline248
AG
You'd be a f_cking hero
Deluxe
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I wanna get season tickets and sit as close to center field as possible, and bring binoculars and a trashcan to all the home games and implement my own sign stealing. No technology, so they can't say shlt

I'm in
Farmer1906
AG
No one gunna post Yuli's new deal? He chose not to opt out and hit arbitration and sign a 1 year 8.3 M deal (a 300k raise).
Bregxit
AG
Farmer1906 said:

No one gunna post Yuli's new deal? He chose not to opt out and hit arbitration and sign a 1 year 8.3 M deal (a 300k raise).

Halfway up the previous page.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Seems like he would have gotten a bit more than that in arb but I suspect he agreed up front to not opt out when the Astros gave him his front loaded deal.
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

Seems like he would have gotten a bit more than that in arb but I suspect he agreed up front to not opt out when the Astros gave him his front loaded deal.

Get ready for the smear job article about how the Astros treat their players unfairly.
Farmer1906
AG
Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

Halfway up the previous page.

That's what I get for not being on the Internet for a few hours.
Deluxe
AG
Good article from Chandler Rome tonight confirming what I've been saying all along:

MLB knew about the banging before the season started. Long before the "bombshell" reports from The Athletic.

MLB took action at the time, by enacting revised rules and taking steps to ensure the sign stealing didn't continue to occur. They could have punished the Astros at the time but chose not to. Why would they feel differently now? The facts of the case are presumably the same. The only transgressions the Astros have been accused of happened in 2017.

Lastly, it's important to remember this statement from MLB (also quoted in the article):

Quote:

"Beginning in the 2017 season, numerous clubs expressed general concerns that other clubs were stealing their signs," MLB said last week. "As a result of those concerns, and after receiving extensive input from the general managers, we issued a revised policy on sign stealing prior to the 2019 season. We also put in place detailed protocols and procedures to provide comfort to clubs that other clubs were not using video during the game to decode and steal signs."

TLDR: MLB knew this was happening and took action before the 2019 season began. Why would they feel differently about the 2017 Astros sign stealing now compared to when they took action?
the last of the bohemians
So as expected all the signs nonsense was fake news and typical shenanigans by the coastal media sources....
W
AG
so the Astros did not extend Yuli to 2021. Just reworked/gave him a new deal for 2020
agdaddy04
AG
W said:

so the Astros did not extend Yuli to 2021. Just reworked/gave him a new deal for 2020

Correct, so now he's a UFA a year earlier.
Mr.Ackar07
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I was thinking of taking up a spot at the home run pump, wear a spy hat, have binoculars around my neck, and carry signs that say Fastball, Curveball, Change Up, Slider, Eephus and randomly hold one up while the Astros are batting.
W
AG
I suppose Yordan and Tucker will take a bunch of ground balls at first base during spring training.

Yuli may not be back in 2021
gigemJTH12
AG
Tucker isnt leaving the outfield.
Deluxe
AG
W said:

I suppose Yordan and Tucker will take a bunch of ground balls at first base during spring training.

Yuli may not be back in 2021
I agree that we should give Yordan and Tucker some looks at 1B but I also think chances are good that Yuli will be back. He seems like he doesn't give a rats behind about MLBPA salary escalation. I think he likes it in Houston, likes his teammates, likes the Astros and has had a good experience here since leaving Cuba. My guess is he'll keep playing for the Astros at a team friendly price for as long as we want him to stay. But I could be wrong.
TREX01
He played a fair amount of 1B at Round Rock this year.
Marvin
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

I was thinking of taking up a spot at the home run pump, wear a spy hat, have binoculars around my neck, and carry signs that say Fastball, Curveball, Change Up, Slider, Eephus and randomly hold one up while the Astros are batting.

What's a spy hat, and how do I get one?
gigemJTH12
AG
TREX01 said:

yeah but based on need alone he will be an outfielder for the Stros more than likely
03_Aggie
These two guys holding up different signs each pitch...

Farmer1906
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

TREX01 said:

yeah but based on need alone he will be an outfielder for the Stros more than likely
Agreed.

Tucker's future is the OF. Yordan's is 1st/DH.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Deluxe
AG
There's nothing new in that video
dshedd41
S
Thanks. Carry on
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG
You wanna talk stealing? Homeboy stole the Astros logo and just rotated it slightly. I hope he's not trying to sell those somewhere otherwise he should be receiving a S&D shortly.

03_Aggie
Please tell me they've actually been called out for that! That would be awesome "hey let's talk about this to generate some clicks...awe **** they busted us for stealing their logo and using it as our own."
Deluxe
AG
I'm pretty sure Jomboy is selling "Trashstros" t shirts too

cc10106
Sucks to suck, Jomboy.
AggieLit
Deluxe said:

I'm pretty sure Jomboy is selling "Trashstros" t shirts too

Does this guy and his followers really think they would have used a rubber trash can in the dugout tunnel to communicate sounds to a batter at home plate? Wouldn't they have used a metal one, at minimum?

Just funny to watch these people do touchdown dances because they found a picture of a room in Minute Maid Park that has a trashcan inside it. The footprint we've left on their ass the past five years must really sting.
redline248
AG
Yay capitalism. Wish I had thought of it
Teddy Perkins
AG
Oh boy.

Deluxe
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Oh boy.

I know that's the "translation" that would give him the biggest erection, but there's something more important in that quote that he glossed over because it doesn't fit his narrative:

Quote:

The general warning I issued to clubs I stand by

When was the warning issued? The one issued after the 2018 season? Would that apply to prior transgressions?
Deluxe
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.