*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,873 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
lunchbox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just posting this because I had been curious myself...

https://theathletic.com/1940546/2020/07/21/what-happens-if-an-mlb-player-tests-positive-on-the-road/

Quote:

"When we met with our guys the biggest question they had for us was, 'What happens if I test positive on the road?'"

<snip>

Teams in the AL West and NL West recently participated in a COVID-19 conference call led by Texas Rangers general manager Jon Daniels, sources confirmed to The Athletic. On the call were general managers, assistant general managers, athletic trainers, traveling secretaries, and doctors from the Mariners, Angels, Rangers, Astros, A's, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Rockies and Diamondbacks. Porter said the general consensus of the call was that if a player tested positive for the coronavirus on the road and had to be left behind in quarantine, the home team in that market would take care of the player and treat him as "one of their own." This would include facilitating potential medical care and doctor visits and working with MLB to administer regular COVID-19 tests until that player tested negative twice.

Each Western division team has put together a list of local resources for visiting players including the contact information of members of their medical staff, popular restaurants that deliver, and nearby hospitals that are treating COVID-19 patients.
Marvin
AG
Interesting info published yesterday from MLB:

Quote:

MLB's instant replay and Statcast technologies have undergone comprehensive refreshes for the first time, which should narrow the time of each replay challenge and result in enhanced broadcasting experiences for viewers. For example, with the new data collection by Sony Hawk-Eye cameras and storage on Google Cloud, pitch locations can be tracked to an accuracy of one-tenth of an inch.

Jason Gaedtke, MLB's chief technology officer, said Hawk-Eye incorporates LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) technology, similar to the type used in autonomous vehicles. The position and movements of everyone on the field -- from pitchers to baserunners to umpires -- will be updated 30 times per second at 18 different data points on each person.

Teams -- and fans -- have never had so much information about what's happening at each fraction of a second during every play. "We have to provide very high reliability, very high accuracy, in order to support the game," Gaedtke said.

Williams unveiled a number of advancements geared toward tech-savvy fans. On Sept. 3, the league plans to launch MLB FilmRoom at MLB.com, with a catalog of more than 3 million videos that users can curate into personalized playlists and post to social media.

MLB's vast database includes pitch-by-pitch videos from the 2018 and '19 seasons, along with decades of popular clips. Because MLB.com's video trove is open already, video-related visits to MLB.com increased 105 percent in the first phase of the rollout earlier this year -- even without new games occurring.

In one fascinating way, fans are about to enjoy a perspective they've never had before: Ryan Zander, MLB's vice president, broadcast products & services, said the Statcast data and LIDAR scans allow for broadcast enhancements showing the virtual representation of a key moment from the perspective of a defensive player -- or even the baseball itself.

Baseball's technological advancements will have direct effects on players, managers and coaches during games. The reimagined instant replay system incorporates feeds from 48 channels -- an increase from 18 in the prior system -- including the direct collection of images from high-frame-rate cameras. With the improved technology, managers have 20 seconds to decide whether to challenge a play, down from 30 seconds last year.

Social distancing considerations have prompted MLB to prohibit video viewing at clubhouse computer terminals. Instead, players and coaches will have access to iPads with video loaded before games. The iPads -- which are not connected to the internet -- will be assigned on a personal basis or sanitized between uses if they are shared.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Mathguy64
AG
Pitch locations to 1/10"? Great. Now we will REALLY know how crappy Angel, CB and Country Joe are. If only they knew.
tjack16
AG
All the comments, "good job using Correa for cheat-sheet article"

These baseball writers just can't let it die
Deluxe
AG
It's about time MLB utilize Hawk Eye to quickly resolve judgments that come down to fractions of an inch. Tennis has been using it for years and their challenge system is outstanding relative to other sports. Challenging a ball/strike shouldn't take more than 3 seconds to just pop the Hawk Eye result up onto the jumbotron.
bearkatag15
AG
The Astros against Glenn Sparkman:
Springer 8,
Altuve 4,
Bregman 5,
Brantley 7,
Gurriel 3,
Correa 6,
Reddick 9,
Garneau 2,
Stubbs DH

James RHP
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
Really hoping we get Alvarez back soon. Not going to lie I'm starting to get worried he won't play this season
bearkatag15
AG
No Tucker in either exhibition game starting lineup... Even after he got a hit last night. Anything to that?
Deluxe
AG
Looking forward to seeing how James throws today
bearkatag15
AG
Days like today are what working from home were meant to be like this entire time. Can't wait for some afternoon baseball.
Ag_07
AG
Sassy Lance is back!!!

https://instagr.am/p/CC5_4_xAqf4

*Swipe right for a highlight video

And is today's game on TV anywhere?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Sassy Lance is back!!!

https://instagr.am/p/CC5_4_xAqf4

*Swipe right for a highlight video

And is today's game on TV anywhere?
MLB.tv, and I think it's on MLB network too.
k20dub
AG
I will say one of the few things that the MLB has been a leader in is their video technology and iOS app. For probably 10 years now, MLB has had the best app, by far, compared to the other leagues. Now with the push for more video content from past years, that will only be enhanced.
bluefire579
AG
bearkatag15 said:

No Tucker in either exhibition game starting lineup... Even after he got a hit last night. Anything to that?
Wouldn't put too much into it. Will probably get a few innings, just wanting to make sure everyone who needs to gets into the field. Reason you're seeing the 3rd catcher at DH.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm reading into it. He clearly not taking Reddick's spot at this point.
bearkatag15
AG

Who ever is running the Astros social media is winning
Jackal99
AG
Gold, Jerry, gold!
Mathguy64
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29474430/2020-mlb-season-expert-predictions-division-picks-playoff-field-world-series-winner

The As got almost as many votes to win the West, almost no votes to win the AL and Not one vote to win a WS.
W
AG
the memo was distributed at ESPN beforehand...as to whom not to vote for
bluefire579
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I'm reading into it. He clearly not taking Reddick's spot at this point.
You're right, season is doomed, time to panic
tjack16
AG
Apparently losing Cole takes us from top team in the MLB to potential 3rd in our division and missing out on the postseason?

I could see it dropping us from 1st in the AL to maybe 3rd behind NYY and TB ... but as great as he was last year, we can and will win a lot without him
Mathguy64
AG
Not having Alvarez and Urquidy for the season would have a greater impact than not having Cole. Not having Alvarez alone would be a bigger impact.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
gougler08
AG
mathguy86 said:

Not having Alvarez and Urquidy for the season would have a greater impact than not having Cole. Not having Alvarez alone would be a bigger impact.
I could see Urquidy missing a lot of time since he's a pitcher, but Alvarez should basically be ready to go a few days after he's cleared right?
JYDog90
AG
Why is it red?
tjack16
AG
I thought they would move the 05 one up and put the 19 below it.

I remember When they had the old banners up, the older ones were on top
Mathguy64
AG
gougler08 said:

mathguy86 said:

I could see Urquidy missing a lot of time since he's a pitcher, but Alvarez should basically be ready to go a few days after he's cleared right?
I would think he would get ready like any other injury with a couple of minor league games of rehab. Or in this case a couple of simulated games at UH. Assuming they can find enough of the balls over the fence to keep throwing them.
dshedd41
S
I think it's supposed to be orange
Gig’em Aggies!
dshedd41
S
Yeah, find that interesting.
Gig’em Aggies!
CFTXAG10
AG
A gold 20 would look really nice above that 17, just sayin'......
tjack16
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

A gold 20 would look really nice above that 17, just sayin'......

I'm hoping we will have too many banners to fit up there
07ag
AG
preseason game at 1pm on a tuesday, and xfinity requires me to connect to my in home wifi to be allowed to watch the game.

does mlb ever wonder why they've dropped to the 3rd most popular sport at best? terrible tv rules doesn't help. how can they have fans if the fans can't watch?

/rant
https://ts.la/eric59704
bearkatag15
AG
Isn't it on MLB network?

Nvm you are probably trying to watch away from your house. Go to your Mlb app. You can watch through that
CFTXAG10
AG
30 seconds into this broadcast and I already miss Blum and Kalas
n_touch
So why does KC get fans in the stands for this game? Wonder if they had nosebleed seats but moved down cause no one was there.
First Page Last Page
Page 277 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.