*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,061 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McHugh just doesn't seem interested in playing baseball
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
It was actually Springer but he was very obviously not running hard to get to it. It appeared as though he was red to let the young gun in RF play the ball
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
McTaggert also mentioned in an article that Tucker will rotate in the field/DH with Brantley. Can't see why Brantley would play in the field more than Tucker
SquirrellyDan
AG
cpsencik04 said:

McTaggert also mentioned in an article that Tucker will rotate in the field/DH with Brantley. Can't see why Brantley would play in the field more than Tucker

I see what you're saying but there's a lot to be said about a veteran outfielder who almost always correctly reads the ball off the bat. That makes up for a lot of the athletic edge tucker has.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
But you also have to appreciate the bounce back of a younger guy playing the field as opposed to an old gun. I know short season....but still it's a game every day

Also if think Tucker would be better off staying in the game since he seems to be a bit of an aloof guy and playing DH he seems like a dude that would take himself out of the game mentally
Beat40
cpsencik04 said:

But you also have to appreciate the bounce back of a younger guy playing the field as opposed to an old gun. I know short season....but still it's a game every day

Also if think Tucker would be better off staying in the game since he seems to be a bit of an aloof guy and playing DH he seems like a dude that would take himself out of the game mentally

The dude shouldn't play Major League Baseball if playing DH is going to take him out of the game mentally.
SquirrellyDan
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Maybe so. But it's his job to beat out Brantley, and it doesn't seem he's done so.
agproducer
AG
I think the idea is to keep Brantley fresh. He had some DH days last year and was watched. He ended up paying some of his best numbers. IMO, Tucker will likely play almost everyday whether in right, left or DH until Yordan gets back.
bearkatag15
AG

Looks like we will get real baseball tonight
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bearkatag15
AG
Also this is a free game to view on MLB.TV
BCSGrubber
AG
Another wonderful hit piece on ESPN crying about how we can't boo the Astros.....
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
For those of us who don't know, asking for a friend, how do we access that?
CFTXAG10
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Another wonderful hit piece on ESPN crying about how we can't boo the Astros.....
"I mean it is pretty clear that COVID-19 is just an elaborate scheme put on by lower level employees in the Astros organization to avoid being boo'd by fans or getting into scuffles with opposing teams. The lengths that they would go to in order to avoid this type of criticism just shows a lack of institutional control starting at the top with Jim Crane. This all ties back into the culture of the Astros organization that we now know is just rotten to its core."

-Evan Drellich (The Athletic)
Deluxe
AG
BCSGrubber said:

If there's one thing we know for sure, it's that the corona virus happened karmically to ensure the Astros wouldn't unfairly take all the public wrath for rampant cheating around baseball.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Seems like a pretty good attempt at a piece from Babylon Bee
tjack16
AG
Any team in 2020 wins World Series: They earned it, legit

Astros win the 2020 World Series: HAHAHA another Asterisk Title!!

We better win this year
bearkatag15
AG
From the app you can click on the TV symbol in the upper left, then click on the broadcast option under our game.

I'm not sure if blackout restriction effect free games so I guess we'll find out. It's the KC broadcast so be prepared for a lot of cheating and trashcan talk

CFTXAG10
AG
It is too bad you can't sync the video with the 790 broadcast
Marvin
AG
Aside from the initial crying, I thought it was a pretty interesting read...

Quote:

Boo, just boo
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
bearkatag15
AG
Assuming the best available offensive players are playing, I'll assume the lineup looks like this.

Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Correa
Brantley
Yuli
Tucker
Maldonaldo
Reddick

Could switch around anyone in the 2-5 slots and my feelings wouldn't be hurt, but I believe Altuve and Bregman should be in the 2/3 slots.

Edit: Looks like the pitcher tonight is a lefty so doubtful that is the lineup for tonight actually.
Mathguy64
AG
Having been away for 2 weeks I'm sure you all have discussed this, I just don't feel like trolling back through 40 pages.

Has there been any indication of when Yordan and Urquidy will be able to come back?
agdaddy04
AG
In the past blackout restrictions still applied.
Ag_07
AG
None

Because it's COVID they can't say anything on their status.

Which to me is weird. If t were a hamstring or a shoulder you'd be able to say something but for some reason COVID is off limits.
Mathguy64
AG
Thanks. I figured as much.
bearkatag15
AG
Lets say they are both cleared to return this week. How long does Urquidy need to be ready to slide into the rotation? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? I assume Yordan can be back after a couple scrimmages at UH with the minor league guys. Its not like we need him in the field anymore.
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

None

Because it's COVID they can't say anything on their status.

Which to me is weird. If t were a hamstring or a shoulder you'd be able to say something but for some reason COVID is off limits.

Agree

It's weird they won't just say

It's not like it's AIDS or something
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
bearkatag15
AG
https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/the-a-team/content/2020-07-20-astros-opening-day-30-man-roster-projection/

Nothing earth shattering here.

Quote:

Starting pitchers (4):
Justin Verlander, Lance McCullers, Jr., Zach Greinke, Josh James

Bullpen (11):
Roberto Osuna, Ryan Pressly, Chris Devenski, Bryan Abreu, Cy Sneed, Blake Taylor, Andre Scrubb, Framber Valdez, Forrest Whitley, Cristian Javier, Joe Biagini (IL: Brad Peacock, Austin Pruitt, Jose Urquidy)
On Sunday, Astros manager Dusty Baker said the starting pitchers for the opening series against the Mariners were set. It'll be Verlander, McCullers, Jr., Greinke and James. He added the team had not made a decision on the fifth starter yet as they wanted to see guys keep working to that end. With no update on Urquidy and minor injuries for both Austin Pruitt and Brad Peacock, Baker will likely hand the ball to someone else in the series opener against the Dodgers on Tuesday, July 28.
Here's some of Baker's thought about filling out the starting staff and the consideration being given to Cristian Javier, who has thrown well in camp and was spectacular with Corpus Christi (AA) last season

Catchers (3):
Martin Maldonado, Dustin Garneau, Garrett Stubbs
It would surprise me if the team kept only two light-hitting catchers, both of whom are right-handed. Stubbs should be ready to prove whether or not he's ready to say goodbye to his minor league days. His ability to put a glove on and play outfield if needed helps, too.

Infield (7):
Yuli Gurriel, Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, Alex Bregman, Aledmys Diaz, Abraham Toro, Jack Mayfield
This should be the best infield in baseball, both offensively and defensively.

Outfield (5):
George Springer, Michael Brantley, Josh Reddick, Kyle Tucker, Myles Straw (IL: Yordan Alvarez)
It's almost impossible to discuss this outfield and not recognize that Springer, Brantley and Reddick are all in the final year of their respective contracts. The idea that the time is now, even in the 60-game season, should be pushing each of these players. With Alvarez being absent for the entire summer camp, expect Tucker to get a lot of at-bats as the DH, with Straw likely getting additional days in centerfield, allowing for DH at-bats for the regular outfielders, too.

spadilly
S
About time to make the call and upgrade our Directv package again in order to have ATTSN.
Every year we drop it down a level or two after college football ends until opening day. Saved some extra money this year.
amercer
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29417320/what-mlb-fans-lose-boo-houston-astros-opening-day

Actually a kind of interesting and amusing story, but of course the headline is just more Astros hate.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Assuming the best available offensive players are playing, I'll assume the lineup looks like this.

Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Correa
Brantley
Yuli
Tucker
Maldonaldo
Reddick

My .02

Springer
Altuve
Brantley
Bregman
Correa
Tucker
Yuli
Reddick
Maldonado

Maybe even switch Tucker and Correa to spread out the lefties
bullard21k
AG
bearkatag15 said:

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/the-a-team/content/2020-07-20-astros-opening-day-30-man-roster-projection/

Nothing earth shattering here.

Quote:

Starting pitchers (4):
Justin Verlander, Lance McCullers, Jr., Zach Greinke, Josh James

Bullpen (11):
Roberto Osuna, Ryan Pressly, Chris Devenski, Bryan Abreu, Cy Sneed, Blake Taylor, Andre Scrubb, Framber Valdez, Forrest Whitley, Cristian Javier, Joe Biagini (IL: Brad Peacock, Austin Pruitt, Jose Urquidy)
On Sunday, Astros manager Dusty Baker said the starting pitchers for the opening series against the Mariners were set. It'll be Verlander, McCullers, Jr., Greinke and James. He added the team had not made a decision on the fifth starter yet as they wanted to see guys keep working to that end. With no update on Urquidy and minor injuries for both Austin Pruitt and Brad Peacock, Baker will likely hand the ball to someone else in the series opener against the Dodgers on Tuesday, July 28.
Here's some of Baker's thought about filling out the starting staff and the consideration being given to Cristian Javier, who has thrown well in camp and was spectacular with Corpus Christi (AA) last season

Catchers (3):
Martin Maldonado, Dustin Garneau, Garrett Stubbs
It would surprise me if the team kept only two light-hitting catchers, both of whom are right-handed. Stubbs should be ready to prove whether or not he's ready to say goodbye to his minor league days. His ability to put a glove on and play outfield if needed helps, too.

Infield (7):
Yuli Gurriel, Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, Alex Bregman, Aledmys Diaz, Abraham Toro, Jack Mayfield
This should be the best infield in baseball, both offensively and defensively.

Outfield (5):
George Springer, Michael Brantley, Josh Reddick, Kyle Tucker, Myles Straw (IL: Yordan Alvarez)
It's almost impossible to discuss this outfield and not recognize that Springer, Brantley and Reddick are all in the final year of their respective contracts. The idea that the time is now, even in the 60-game season, should be pushing each of these players. With Alvarez being absent for the entire summer camp, expect Tucker to get a lot of at-bats as the DH, with Straw likely getting additional days in centerfield, allowing for DH at-bats for the regular outfielders, too.

So is there a 30 man roster all year for this season?

If so I wonder if Whitley will stay and get action
bearkatag15
AG
It starts at a 30 player roster for the 1st 2 weeks, then moves to 28 players then 26 players at some point.
Farmer1906
AG
Here is my outside the box lineup. (failed at splitting up the lefties how I would want)

1. Brantley
2. Altuve
3. Bregman
4. Springer
5. Correa
6. Tucker
7. Gurriel
8. Reddick
9. Maldonado

With Yordan back

1. Brantley
2. Altuve
3. Bregman
4. Springer
5. Alvarez
6. Correa
7. Tucker
8. Gurriel
9. Maldonado
bluefire579
AG
I'd personally have Reddick in the 9 hole. If he can do better about getting on base this year, that gives you a better chance to do some damage when you roll over to the top of the lineup with some decent speed on the bases. Think Tony LaRussa pitcher in the 8 hole strategy.
First Page Last Page
Page 272 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.