*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,001 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree to strongly disagree
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Interesting that both home voters split their votes
Pahdz
This semantic argument comes up every year, but in every sport every year the MVP goes to the games best player.

It's okay, the award is just mis-named
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Sure you can. He helped his team win more games than Bregman did for the Astros.
And it's really the "best player" award, and Trout is a better player. He might be the best ever. With that in mind, Trout shouldn't be penalized in an individual award for being on a bad team. The only reason it was even close is because Trout got hurt.
AggiEE
If Bregman played better in the playoffs I'd care a lot more about him losing
astros4545
AG
AggiEE said:

Funny

I don't remember you around this board until the playoffs
Mr.Bond
AG
AggiEE said:

It's a regular season award..... WGAF?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AggiEE
astros4545 said:

AggiEE said:

Funny

I don't remember you around this board until the playoffs

You have a poor recollection

I posted all season
AggiEE
Mr.Bond said:

AggiEE said:

I know it doesn't factor in to the voters decision, but if I were to award MVP and it was close I'd give the nod to the guy who rakes in the playoffs.

But Bregman was terrible and Trout is the better player despite coming up short at the end and not making the post season
agdaddy04
AG
AggiEE said:

Mr.Bond said:

AggiEE said:

I know it doesn't factor in to the voters decision, but if I were to award MVP and it was close I'd give the nod to the guy who rakes in the playoffs.

But Bregman was terrible and Trout is the better player despite coming up short at the end and not making the post season

Then the award should be renamed.
Ag_07
AG
The ballots are in before the playoffs start.
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

I know that

I'd just feel more upset if Bregman had done well, we won the WS as a result, and Trout got MVP...because I do feel the decision based on regular season performance alone is a tough one...and playoff performance is kind of a tie breaker

Obviously don't really care now that we lost and he was mostly a non factor in the playoffs
TRM
AG
Six of seven The Athletic writers voted from Trout over Bregman. Pretty much handed it to him.
Ag13
AG
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

I know that

I'd just feel more upset if Bregman had done well, we won the WS as a result, and Trout got MVP...because I do feel the decision based on regular season performance alone is a tough one...and playoff performance is kind of a tie breaker

Obviously don't really care now that we lost and he was mostly a non factor in the playoffs

If we had won the WS I wouldn't care about any of the individual awards at all.
redline248
AG
texaggierm said:

Six of seven The Athletic writers voted from Trout over Bregman. Pretty much handed it to him.

No surprise, they wrote a few articles about why Trout should win back in September
Ag_07
AG
Dear Myles,

Thanks for everything. Enjoy this gift basket during your time off. Hope you get your ish figured but we really appreciate it.

Regards,

The entire Houston Astros organization
gigemJTH12
AG
came here to post this. so true.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
care to give some extra info.....did we cut myles or something?
03_Aggie
Football Myles. Helmet swinging incident is now media's focus.
Farmer1906
AG
I enjoy being the villain as an Astros and Myles fan. I'm twisted like that.
Ag_07
AG
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if MLB took a page right out of the NFL book and news dumped it's investigation results today.

Either way whether it came up with not much and we get off or if we get the book thrown at us and it looks bad on MLB it gets lost in the Myles Garrett fiasco and it's Friday.
03_Aggie
MLB could potentially have more ball issues to deal with...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/official-world-series-balls-sold-to-public-might-not-meet-on-field-specs-report-says/l1jkbkna9daj1shssf20fwwdy
W
AG
that would actually be a great idea. The sportsworld is obsessed/enamored with the Myles story today
MaxPower
I heard MG is a HUGE Astros fan.....
Frok
AG
Sports media loves a good controversy. I struggled to find many national sports shows to talk about the Astros during the playoffs. Then all these controversies happen and NOW they want to talk Astros.

bearkatag15
AG
Brewers next team on the chopping block.

Oh boy... Yelich responds to Yu

astros4545
AG
Yellich with the choke slam
Ag_07
AG
Yelich ain't fckn around
Pahdz
this crap was all better years ago before social media and the general public was oblivious to it, and when guys got drilled in the ribs we didn't know any better
Bregxit
AG
That Bleacherreport guy is an idiot. In the video he posted, Yelich gets in the box, glances to RIGHT center field and then locks in on Yu. Never once do his eyes divert to LEFT center field as alleged. This **** is getting out of control.
redline248
AG
This garbage about the batters looking somewhere other than the pitcher is the biggest load of bullshht, ever. How many of you who played ball growing up ever heard something like "hit 'em where they ain't?" Basically, a batter could be looking at how defenders are set up, or shifting as the sign is being given. Or sees a pair of titties flashing in the stands, ffs.
Ag_07
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B47qwI6naVV
McInnis
AG
I've been away from home this week, mostly in places without good internet service so I'm just trying to catch up on this. I checked the Astros = cheaters thread but it's about what I expected. Could someone who is following this closely please let me know if my understanding of things so far is right?

Is Fiers the only ex-Astro to have accused them?
Is Beltran the only one who has said that it didn't happen?
Was use of electronics to steal signs just banned in 2019? In other words would it have been legal in 2017?

Finally, you other true Astros fans - does it look like the Astros have been doing something that other teams don't? Something that is likely going to get them in trouble?

redline248
AG
Quote:

Is Fiers the only ex-Astro to have accused them? Only former player. 3 other anonymous individuals formerly in the organization (presumably staffers) also said it
Is Beltran the only one who has said that it didn't happen? To my knowledge, yes. Haven't heard anything from Hinch or Cora, or guys like Brian McCann
Was use of electronics to steal signs just banned in 2019? In other words would it have been legal in 2017? Technically, no. It's been against the rules to do stuff like putting up an extra light in the OF that turns on or off based on pitches, and I'm pretty sure it's been illegal to use a camera to watch the catcher and signal to the dugout. I read someone say that didn't include the clubhouse or tunnel areas beyond the dugout, but that seems like a stretch to say that was legal.

edit to add: in 2019 the banning of additional cameras in the outfield between the foul poles was specifically banned. Prior to that cameras were allowed, but the expectation was they wouldn't be used to steal signs.

Finally, you other true Astros fans - does it look like the Astros have been doing something that other teams don't? Something that is likely going to get them in trouble?
I don't know if they were doing things that other teams weren't, but they were apparently doing it a lot better. I can't imagine any serious penalty comes down, b/c we are really talking about a league wide issue. That is just my opinion, though.
First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.