*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,702 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Shocked a national media outlet tweeted out something favorable towards the Astros

Fox has a couple of times. It's ESPN and the MLB twitter page that doesn't acknowledge our existence
irish pete ag06
AG
iBrad said:

This virus isn't going anywhere. Lockdowns just delayed the inevitable, and we don't even know how much the lockdowns helped, because opening up has coincided with significantly more testing. No other country comes close to us in testing.

At this point, everything is so politicized that you can't believe any of it. Holiday gatherings supposedly led to the spike in cases, but the protests have not contributed. It's a virus, people. Any considerable amount of human interaction is going to increase the likelihood of spreading it.

We have people blaming our officials at all levels both for not containing the virus and the unemployment rate. Crazy times we live in made crazier by the upcoming election. Sports would be a nice unifying distraction, which is why there's so much push to prevent them by some. I sure hope we see games this year, but I'm in "believe it when I see it mode".
Yep... This will all magically be remedied after November 4. Even moreso if the political colors flip. The virus is real, but what's even more real is propaganda disguised as news (on all sides of the spectrum).

And I say that as a high school coach who had to witness 2020 seniors playing softball, baseball, track etc have their seniors years ripped away from them. We had a kid who was going to win gold in shotput... both our baseball and softball teams were on absolute tears and looked poised to make legitimate runs at Austin. Ridiculously frustrating for these kids to have to sacrifice for what appears more politically driven than actually fact driven.

I'm not trying to drag politics into this. I'm somewhat apolitical, but I keep up with it. I just want sports back. It can be done, if we have common sense.

I swear if they cancel high school football season I'm gonna go set something on fire in Austin at the UIL building. That rioting and protesting looking pretty appealing if they cancel that.
CoachRTM
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

iBrad said:

This virus isn't going anywhere. Lockdowns just delayed the inevitable, and we don't even know how much the lockdowns helped, because opening up has coincided with significantly more testing. No other country comes close to us in testing.

At this point, everything is so politicized that you can't believe any of it. Holiday gatherings supposedly led to the spike in cases, but the protests have not contributed. It's a virus, people. Any considerable amount of human interaction is going to increase the likelihood of spreading it.

We have people blaming our officials at all levels both for not containing the virus and the unemployment rate. Crazy times we live in made crazier by the upcoming election. Sports would be a nice unifying distraction, which is why there's so much push to prevent them by some. I sure hope we see games this year, but I'm in "believe it when I see it mode".
Yep... This will all magically be remedied after November 4. Even moreso if the political colors flip. The virus is real, but what's even more real is propaganda disguised as news (on all sides of the spectrum).

And I say that as a high school coach who had to witness 2020 seniors playing softball, baseball, track etc have their seniors years ripped away from them. We had a kid who was going to win gold in shotput... both our baseball and softball teams were on absolute tears and looked poised to make legitimate runs at Austin. Ridiculously frustrating for these kids to have to sacrifice for what appears more politically driven than actually fact driven.

I'm not trying to drag politics into this. I'm somewhat apolitical, but I keep up with it. I just want sports back. It can be done, if we have common sense.

I swear if they cancel high school football season I'm gonna go set something on fire in Austin at the UIL building. That rioting and protesting looking pretty appealing if they cancel that.

I agree with most of what you wrote - I think liability concerns are a bigger issue than politics, but that's neither here nor there. The kids are getting hurt the worst. I can't imagine what it would be like to miss my senior season.
irish pete ag06
AG
CoachRTM said:

irish pete ag06 said:

iBrad said:

I agree with most of what you wrote - I think liability concerns are a bigger issue than politics, but that's neither here nor there. The kids are getting hurt the worst. I can't imagine what it would be like to miss my senior season.
Yes... thanks to the sue happy world we live in, everyone is worried sick about a career or life altering lawsuit. It's just a matter of time before some lawyers figure out how to make major bank off this thing.
Post removed:
by user
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
tjack16
AG
The comment section of Astros social media posts are always frustrating
dshedd41
S
I know, People just can''t move on,
Gig’em Aggies!
Farmer1906
AG
This is depressing AF when you put it al together.

Other clubs have had it worse too.
Post removed:
by user
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

No one would like the season cancelled more than Chandler it seems.
n_touch
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Can you imagine how many calls he will have to make to cancel hotels
astros4545
AG
Pahdz said:

redline248 said:

If euro soccer, british soccer and MLS can all play games...wtf is wrong with MLB (and college football, for that matter)?

Not so fast with MLS, they've had two teams withdraw.

Other places pull it off because people have more respect for others. Here we're too busy *****ing about "muh freedums" hence the spread.

I wish people would be more decent so we could have things like baseball, football, etc. The answer isn't "full lockdown or nothing" it's in the middle but of course this is America and there is no nuance or middle ground anymore.

How much you want to bet the percent of people wearing masks in Europe is within 5% of what it is over here

This can never be proven one way or the other, but whatever
redline248
AG
n_touch said:

Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Can you imagine how many calls he will have to make to cancel hotels
I hope he loses deposits
07ag
AG
https://ts.la/eric59704
spadilly
CFTXAG10
AG
This really is starting to smell like a ploy to say "we tried" and hide behind that when they cancel the season. I hope I am wrong. Would be a big mistake, especially if the NBA pulls off the bubble and the NFL starts on time with no fans.

Everyone has their own opinions about the virus. I think it is very much real, and can have a severely negative effect on the older population and folks that already have major health issues. There are unicorns out there where a healthy 20 or 30 year old get it and have complications but that is few and far between. How at risk are these world class athletes that train pretty much year round and are in peak physical condition? Get this testing issue figured out. MLB has the $$$$ to have the best of the best. Do better.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

This really is starting to smell like a ploy to say "we tried" and hide behind that when they cancel the season. I hope I am wrong. Would be a big mistake, especially if the NBA pulls off the bubble and the NFL starts on time with no fans.

Everyone has their own opinions about the virus. I think it is very much real, and can have a severely negative effect on the older population and folks that already have major health issues. There are unicorns out there where a healthy 20 or 30 year old get it and have complications but that is few and far between. How at risk are these world class athletes that train pretty much year round and are in peak physical condition? Get this testing issue figured out. MLB has the $$$$ to have the best of the best. Do better.
I think MLB and the owners are intentionally bungling this to avoid having to pay the players, lose money, and attempt to avoid a grievance. It's the only explanation for what a complete disaster this has been.
n_touch
CFTXAG10 said:

This really is starting to smell like a ploy to say "we tried" and hide behind that when they cancel the season.
This is the only reason the season is "happening". Been saying this from the beginning and I will stick to my guns on it. I hope they make it, but I do not see it happening.
Ag_07
AG
I think they spent so much time and effort working on the numbers and labor negotiations they disregarded the logistics of testing. Look at golf and NBA. both leagues don't seem to have the testing issues MLB is having. It's clear that MLB didn't have a well thought out execution plan when it comes to testing.

Once again they found a way to shlt the bed.
W
AG
yes, this is a good faith effort to play games; but the plug could be pulled any day now or at any point during the season.

will the stats still count toward a player's career numbers...if the season is only 1 or 2 weeks?
Farmer1906
AG
The Milkman
AG
Am I wrong for thinking that 2% of players/staff league-wide testing positive is not something to be concerned about?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Can't really compare MLB to golf or NBA for a number of reasons... first and foremost the roster sizes.

I don't know what's going on, but it stinks. If the season happens to start, almost a zero percent chance that it finishes.
Farmer1906
AG
The Milkman said:

Am I wrong for thinking that 2% of players/staff league-wide testing positive is not something to be concerned about?

Yes and no.

If we aren't getting tests back timely and people aren't really following the distancing or the safety rules strong enough then that 2% will turn into 20 real fast.

If the rules are good enough and you catch positives quickly and remove them I think 2% means very little. Just a small worry someone at high risk gets it.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think the percentage is as big a concern as the delays and overall cluster f that testing is.

Take Bregman for example...He sat because he test results were delayed. Hell sounds like that's what happening with the entire pitching staff.

What happens if you're playing games that matter and players can't play because they're waiting test results?
rosco511
AG
astros4545 said:

Pahdz said:

redline248 said:

If euro soccer, british soccer and MLS can all play games...wtf is wrong with MLB (and college football, for that matter)?

Not so fast with MLS, they've had two teams withdraw.

Other places pull it off because people have more respect for others. Here we're too busy *****ing about "muh freedums" hence the spread.

I wish people would be more decent so we could have things like baseball, football, etc. The answer isn't "full lockdown or nothing" it's in the middle but of course this is America and there is no nuance or middle ground anymore.

How much you want to bet the percent of people wearing masks in Europe is within 5% of what it is over here

This can never be proven one way or the other, but whatever
Exactly, the mask wearing boogey man position is getting tiring. Any spike or increase is now being blamed on people for not wearing masks.
tjack16
AG
Europe had long and strict lockdowns compared to the US. That is a big reason they are very ahead of us

Their media/leaders were very consistent with their messages and stances on the virus from the beginning. Ours were not, on either side
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Send the whole taxi squad up there, leave the starters at home. Not worth the risk. Send a cardboard cutout of AJ to manage the game.
bearkatag15
AG

Hopefully one of us can find a stream online of this
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
astros4545
AG
tjholley16 said:

Europe had long and strict lockdowns compared to the US. That is a big reason they are very ahead of us

Their media/leaders were very consistent with their messages and stances on the virus from the beginning. Ours were not, on either side

Our leaders thought it was a good idea to let Gam Gam hang out with Covid patients

Our leaders decided that medicine was bad because orange man say it could be good
07ag
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Hopefully one of us can find a stream online of this
r/mlbstreams
https://ts.la/eric59704
CFTXAG10
AG
A little humor for the day. Go Stros!!!!
lunchbox

dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
First Page Last Page
Page 265 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.