*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,807 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
n_touch said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

No matter how much Kevlar he puts on it, Altuve can still hit homers over it

What is into that he needs a bulletproof vehicle?

This is the guy who choked his girlfriend and fired off 8 rounds from a handgun in his garage. Safe to say he's not firing on all cylinders. Seems like he has got some kind of battle obsession and this is just him playing out a fantasy.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Keep in mind that one of the rules for this year is that you can't trade anyone who isn't on your 60 man, so any trades the Astros make would have to come from names on this list.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Astros legacy of cheating the system and bending the rules continues under new GM James Click - Buster Olney probably
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
So ready to play some fkn games
CFTXAG10
AG
Take it w/ a slight grain of salt but I heard from someone in the Astros organization that we are opening the season at home against the Dodgers, or at least our first series at home will be against them
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Take it w/ a slight grain of salt but I heard from someone in the Astros organization that we are opening the season at home against the Dodgers, or at least our first series at home will be against them
It makes sense to have some huge matchups to start the season. It doesn't get much bigger than Dodgers - Astros after the last few seasons.
The Milkman
AG
Though for TV scheduling it would make sense to have it be a west coast game.
Farmer1906
AG
The Milkman said:

Though for TV scheduling it would make sense to have it be a west coast game.

No home crowds so our home games can start any time. We're in the "west" after all.
Mathguy64
AG
I will be shocked if this season happens. The MLS tournament in Orlando just had 26 players test positive before it even started. Basically a team worth.
Big Al 1992
AG
NSIAP
Could also be used for start of the season thread.
Says it all.

Ag_07
AG
mathguy86 said:

I will be shocked if this season happens. The MLS tournament in Orlando just had 26 players test positive before it even started. Basically a team worth.

I've already thought about this with the amount of golfers that have tested positive. Golf is the most socially distanced sport and guys a WDing every week.
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

mathguy86 said:

I've already thought about this with the amount of golfers that have tested positive. Golf is the most socially distanced sport and guys a WDing every week.
I feel that this agreement was never so they would play. It was so that each side could save face with the fans and show that they were trying to do something. I hate thinking that, but I am not sure how they will be able to go a full 60 games without losing major players and then big names dropping out due to health concerns.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
But what really are the health concerns here. Professional athletes would be the absolute least likely to suffer from the virus. Add to that the newest known data that nearly 99% recover and a ton of that never even show signs. Plus the fact that not playing the season doesn't guarantee safety anyways. They still have to live which means they could still contract it
astros4545
AG
cpsencik04 said:

But what really are the health concerns here. Professional athletes would be the absolute least likely to suffer from the virus. Add to that the newest known data that nearly 99% recover and a ton of that never even show signs. Plus the fact that not playing the season doesn't guarantee safety anyways. They still have to live which means they could still contract it
expresswrittenconsent
cpsencik04 said:

I think you're mostly right but its extremely callous and fairly naive to think the players have no health concerns. This is an aggie board and the most accomplished aggie athlete of all time (super bowl mvp von miller) got it, and said it was terrible, that there were times he was afraid he would have to go to the hospital, and that a month later his lungs still haven't recovered to prior workout/performance levels.
n_touch
Quote:

a month later his lungs still haven't recovered to prior workout/performance levels.
This is what they will all be looking at and concerned with. As they should, and the same any of us on this board would be considering if we were in their shoes.
bigjag19
AG
Is bubble soccer going to become a professional sport?
CFTXAG10
AG
And baseball is probably the safest of the major 3 sports in terms of distancing during gameplay. Hopefully players will take the guidelines seriously to avoid having a positive test sideline them for an extended length of time.
Mathguy64
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

And baseball is probably the safest of the major 3 sports in terms of distancing during gameplay. Hopefully players will take the guidelines seriously to avoid having a positive test sideline them for an extended length of time.
I would say golf and tennis are. Golf is having positive tests and tennis isn't even happening yet. and unfortunately it's not during playing time that they are catching it. It's the massive parties they are attending. About the only way to avoid this I'm afraid is to damn near self quarantine yourself.
Farmer1906
AG
He did say 3 major sports.

I agree you're much more likely to spread it off the field with the safety procedures in place. And unless you go full bubble like the NBA I'm not sure how you keep it in check.

I think the players are safe. The survival rate of their age range is something ridiculously high 99.9+. I am a little worried about some of the older managers and coaches. But I think they're more likely to not be around people outside of the game.

No one knows if or when we find a cure so I think we have to basically figure out to how live with this virus.

Edit: On the 99.9+ claim. CDC's latest report on show actual covid19 cases are 6-24x higher than reported based on tested of blood samples during routine care. Instead of there being 2.6 M cases its more like 30 M cases.
Farmer1906
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
Still dreaming about a 60 game season so IF it happens - Jomboy actually paused from Astro bashing and had a good point. Mix up the rotation. Division games mean everything so if we open against Dodgers, why not hold back Zack and JV until they play in the division. Only use them for division games.
texpert68
AG
Because f*** the Dodgers.
Farmer1906
AG
Without knowing the schedule you can't really do that. It may not even work out as you want.
Jackal99
AG
texpert68 said:

And Tommy Lasorda.
3B Paul 97
AG
Jackal99 said:

texpert68 said:

And Tommy Lasorda.

And the pimp in the fedora with a radar gun.
bluefire579
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Still dreaming about a 60 game season so IF it happens - Jomboy actually paused from Astro bashing and had a good point. Mix up the rotation. Division games mean everything so if we open against Dodgers, why not hold back Zack and JV until they play in the division. Only use them for division games.
Aren't the Dodgers a division game with the restructuring?
Mathguy64
AG
Jackal99 said:

texpert68 said:

And Tommy Lasorda.

Yep. I concur. 100%.
bearkatag15
AG
no, they are a cross divisional team. We play the AL West like 40 games then the NL West the other 20.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Farmer1906
AG
This is the year to be angry if you're good, but not great, and trying to make the postseason in a tough division. The wildcard is going to be more unbalanced than ever.
Farmer1906
AG
Predictions time.

How does the division shake out? Here is my guess. We win it, but we have a collection of average teams that hang around long enough to make everyone uncomfortable.

1. Astros 38-22 (162 win total equivalent 103)
2. Angels 32-28 (86)
3. As 30-30 (82)
4. Rangers 28-32 (76)
5. Mariners 23-37 (61)

Mathguy64
AG
It's the year to be pissed if you are great and your 3 best players decide to be stupid and get the covid and you miss the playoffs completely.
Mathguy64
AG
I think it's pretty tight. Too much randomness in a short season and little things are magnified. Toss in the Lizard and his style with pitchers and who knows. Assuming we play:

Astros 36
A's 34
Angels 31
Rangers 28
Mariners 21
07ag
AG
Astros 35
A's 33
Angels 32
Rangers 31
Mariners 21
https://ts.la/eric59704
First Page Last Page
Page 253 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.