*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,621 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agdaddy04 said:

But at this point I'm sure she's not happy that the Astros didn't try to resign him.

I don't care. I'll thank him for his contributions, but that dude talked crap about the club and cheating after he left and was signed by the Red Sox. He didn't have the courage or character to stand up to what he thought was wrong. His or his wife's opinion on the matter don't carry much weight with me.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Between not being able to negotiate an agreement with the players and now being busted for covering up cheating, Manford's head should be on a spike outside of MMP.

We all hate(d) Selig, but Manford has lapped him by now. **** that *****.

I was indifferent to Manford until he displayed no backbone when Evan Dreleich and Ken Rosenthal came out with the original story on the Astros' cheating. The fact that he didn't say the league has handled the situation showed he's weak to me. I turned on him at that exact moment.
MaxPower
Thinice said:

How can the Yankees argue they didn't do anything but releasing the memo would cause "significant reputational injury,"?
None of this makes sense to me. Agreed if I had nothing to hide I would stand by simply stating, "There is nothing factually different in the memo but we stick by the principles of the privacy agreement between the Yankees and MLB. As any other member of society would agree, we do not wish to share information provided confidentially between two private parties." End of story.
MaxPower
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Between not being able to negotiate an agreement with the players and now being busted for covering up cheating, Manford's head should be on a spike outside of MMP.

We all hate(d) Selig, but Manford has lapped him by now. **** that *****.

I was indifferent to Manford until he displayed no backbone when Evan Dreleich and Ken Rosenthal came out with the original story on the Astros' cheating. The fact that he didn't say the league has handled the situation showed he's weak to me. I turned on him at that exact moment.
We will see what's in this memo but it may confirm what we have been saying all along. A league wide investigation should have occurred to root out all the "bad"actors. Not doing so opened themselves up to this very event.
iBrad
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

League statement:

Not a good look for the players.
redline248
AG
The players said that statement was full of lies, I think. I'll look for some tweets

Edit: looks like I am mistaking that one with some earlier letter to the players.
AustinAg2K
Thinice said:

How can the Yankees argue they didn't do anything but releasing the memo would cause "significant reputational injury,"?

I wouldn't get to caught up in the Yankees fighting to keep it from getting released. Lawyers argue everything.
Mr.Bond
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

BMX Bandit
Just when you thought ESPN and buster Olney couldn't be any more pathetic with their butt hurt, there's a article on the website now that says the current battle between the owners and players is "straight out of the Jeff Lunow and Astros play book "
bearkatag15
AG
iBrad
AG
You knew that with the Yankees getting drawn into the cheating talk, Buster would try to put the focus back on the Astros. Very nice job of attacking the Astros in a piece about the rift between owners and the players union.
W
AG
and Kurkjian took another shot at the Astros yesterday too.

lamented that the 'stros have missed out on 3 months of booing
W
AG
these guys really hate Luhnow
irish pete ag06
AG
Beat40 said:

This is beautiful. My goodness, I know y'all hate on Carlos for getting injuries too much, but that boy has some damn fire. His attitude is exactly what this team needs, I loved him calling out Bellinger before spring training got started, and I love him talking smack to Judge. Carlos has made me a huge fan of him.

If we don't get to play this year, it would be a travesty. I originally wanted to play that 50 game proposed plan just to see the Astros and Dodgers play, but I want whatever schedule allows the Astros and Yankees to play. Those series would be so chippy, and it'd be glorious.

I wish the Astros players should say they want to take whatever deal at this point just to smash the Yankees.

Carlos has quickly become my leader.
W
AG
you know if the Astros and Springer cannot reach an agreement in free agency,..that does increase the chances of resigning Correa.

especially if JV or Grienke start showing their age in 2021
Farmer1906
AG
But that also means a much bigger payday. Correa is going to command double what George does assuming he has a somewhat strong 20-21.
Mathguy64
AG
Surely he can stay healthy for 48 games.
W
AG
Correa would be expensive. He would also only be 27 years old when he hits free agency.

as of this moment, the Astros have 2 big contracts on the books for 2022: Altuve & Bregman.

same for 2023 & 2024. There could/should be room for a third
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Correa would be expensive. He would also only be 27 years old when he hits free agency.

as of this moment, the Astros have 2 big contracts on the books for 2022: Altuve & Bregman.

Can we afford to lock up 70 M for 3 position players?
Ag_07
AG
Hell yeah we can!

#NotMyMoney
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Consider we will have no one else under contract after 2021. We have some guys entering arbitration but should easily still project around $100M without any other moves. We should actually be looking to extend more than just 3 guys (or find players in free agency).
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Consider we will have no one else under contract after 2021. We have some guys entering arbitration but should easily still project around $100M without any other moves. We should actually be looking to extend more than just 3 guys (or find players in free agency).

We're going to need to sign a bunch of players. It would mean we're going to have to pay way more than 3 guys. Does it make sense to lock up 1/3(?) of the payroll between 3 IFs?
the last of the bohemians
irish pete ag06 said:

Beat40 said:

This is beautiful. My goodness, I know y'all hate on Carlos for getting injuries too much, but that boy has some damn fire. His attitude is exactly what this team needs, I loved him calling out Bellinger before spring training got started, and I love him talking smack to Judge. Carlos has made me a huge fan of him.

If we don't get to play this year, it would be a travesty. I originally wanted to play that 50 game proposed plan just to see the Astros and Dodgers play, but I want whatever schedule allows the Astros and Yankees to play. Those series would be so chippy, and it'd be glorious.

I wish the Astros players should say they want to take whatever deal at this point just to smash the Yankees.

Carlos has quickly become my leader.

I like the odds of Carlos lasting a 50 game over an 80 game season.
Mathguy64
AG
The last 3 seasons he's made it to game 84, 73 and last year game 50 before breaking. 48 plus playoffs is a lot to ask.

Of course if he can stay away from Asian massage chicks And the Mrs' roundhouse kicks he's got a better chance.
W
AG
with the way Bregman's contract is structured...it would be closer to $80 MM to $90 MM for 3 players...for 3 years (2022, 2023, and 2024).

I think Luhnow considered infielders more important than outfielders. It's easier to fill outfield spots via free agency. See Beltran, Brantley, Reddick.

adding to the intrigue for 2021 free agency...is that Lindor also hits the market at the SS position. He may be the Yankees target
Mathguy64
AG
ESPN is pathetic. Right underneath their lead story with a picture of Lunhow and Hinch with the blurb about how the owners are into win at all costs over the players and seek any advantage you can just like the Astros, they have a story about Sosa and McGwire in 1998 and the big HR chase. Not one word in the entire article about how both were doped to their eyeballs and cheating their asses off.
Deluxe
AG
Olney: The owners want to win labor negotiations. Luhnow wanted to win with the Astros. Let's tie those things together and run a story with a big picture of Luhnow for clicks!

ESPN Editors: Genius!
CFTXAG10
AG
The Beef01
AG
As soon as this news broke over the weekend about the memo and the Yankees I thought that it wasn't that big of a deal....as soon as the obfuscation machine ramped-up directly out of NYY-friendly media, I realized that it's very problematic for them.

It won't surprise me if the end result here is a scorched Earth lawsuit by someone affiliated during the time with the Astros that forces discovery and that will likely be the end of Manfred and many of the people associated with trying to cover all of this up and railroad the Astros as part of that process.
bearkatag15
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This CLEARLY shows there is some serious **** in the report

God please
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
Oh this is getting good.

There's some damning stuff in there if they're going the appeals route.
Deluxe
AG
Understood that there's a variety of reasons why they don't want the letter released (some more damming than others). But at the very least, this is a really bad look for them. I like it.
safety guy
AG
The Beef01 said:

As soon as this news broke over the weekend about the memo and the Yankees I thought that it wasn't that big of a deal....as soon as the obfuscation machine ramped-up directly out of NYY-friendly media, I realized that it's very problematic for them.

It won't surprise me if the end result here is a scorched Earth lawsuit by someone affiliated during the time with the Astros that forces discovery and that will likely be the end of Manfred and many of the people associated with trying to cover all of this up and railroad the Astros as part of that process.

This is likely why the Astros were able to keep their title and no player suspensions. There would have likely been scorched earth lawsuits had the penalties to the astros been too severe. But the yankee loving media was so arrogant and self righteous that it drove folks to expose everything. If the media had not had an agenda to dehumanize the Astros for beating their beloved Yankees, this would have blown over. The teams the Astros beat in 17 have all been connected to video sign stealing. No one in pro sports is a saint and to think so is kind of a fallacy. Enjoy the games for what they are and nothing more.
The Beef01
AG
Deluxe said:

Understood that there's a variety of reasons why they don't want the letter released (some more damming than others). But at the very least, this is a really bad look for them. I like it.
Oh, this 100% feels like the equivalent of invoking the 5th and hoping that you can memory hole it later.
First Page Last Page
Page 240 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.