*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,248 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
start times do matter for TV.

BMX Bandit
my understanding is that playoffs are still NL v AL
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So your playing games in a different division against both leagues but then we just take what top 10 AL and NL records...

Seems like realigning like that makes you have to completely rework the whole system. It's not like the league wasn't already 3 divisions in two different leagues. Seems stupid, but if it gets games back faster so be it
BMX Bandit
3 division winners and 4 wildcards for each league.
iBrad
AG
BMX Bandit said:

How would that playoff format work?
tjack16
AG
iBrad said:

BMX Bandit said:

I assume the four wildcard teams would play against each other in play in games And the overall number one seed for each league would get a first round bye
Buck Compton
AG
tjholley16 said:

iBrad said:

BMX Bandit said:

I assume the four wildcard teams would play against each other in play in games And the overall number one seed for each league would get a first round bye
It would have to be one-game play in games (and then, what's the point??). Past one game and getting your rotation set up, baseball is a sport where a full bye would be very harmful to the top seed.
MaxPower
I hear they're also going to have the sacko trophy as well. A tournament where the bottom 8 teams play and the ultimate loser is subject to 24 hour ball taps.
BMX Bandit
1 seed gets a bye

other 2 division winners and 1 wild card in best-of-three series with other 3 wild cards

W
AG
wonder if the 4-man rotation will make a comeback for an 82-game season
bluefire579
AG
Probably not if they're trying to cram in games like they seem to be wanting to do. In fact, with expanded rosters and the potential for more double headers, I think a 6-7 man rotation seems more likely. Either that or a larger reliance on the opener and long reliever setup.
tjack16
AG
More likely you'll see more bullpen days
Bonfired
AG
Thinking about 82 games...if you only play within your 2020 makeshift division, I guess you'd play 6 against each opposite league team (30 total), and 13 against your usual division opponents (52). That would make the AL-NL distinction more meaningful.

Giving zero effs about AL/NL separation for the playoffs would make it easy to play 81 games...9 games each against your makeshift division opponents (5-4 series splits to reduce travel).
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."--Steven Wright
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
But those division winners could be from either league. Meaning you'd have uneven amount on one side. Say AL wins all three divisions then they get 4 wildcards. You now have 7 AL teams and 4 NL teams?
mwm
Sometimes, when you're trying to fix something, you actually make it worse. Please, please don't this to baseball.

I'd almost rather not have any baseball at all in 2020 than to mess it up so bad we'll never recognize it again.
tjack16
AG
I don't really understand why they don't just keep the original divisions and modify a schedule based on a half season. Instead of playing the Rangers and A's 19 times each we just play them 9-12 times
tjack16
AG
My proposed 82 game schedule

Games against division opponents: 36 (play each 9 times. You'd have to alternate home/away for each to make it an even overall home and away breakdown. Astros would get 18 home division games and 18 road.)
Games against other 10 AL opponents: 30 (3 games each, half of your series are home, half away)
Inter league: 16 (randomly assign 4 opponents to play a 4 game series with. Each team gets 2 inter league series at home. Or split 2-2 series home and away)

They can do 7 playoff teams for each league if they want. 3 division winners, 4 wild card teams

So potentially an Astros season could look like this.

Division:
@Texas -3, Vs Texas -3, @Texas -3
Vs OAK -3, @OAK -3 vs OAK -3
@SEA -3, vs SEA -3, @SEA -3
vs LAA -3, @ LAA -3, vs LAA -3

AL MATCHUPS
vs NYY -3
@BOS -3
vs BAL -3
@TOR -3
vs TB -3
@DET -3
vs CLE -3
@CWS -3
vs MIN -3
@KC -3

Interleague

@LAD -4 or vs LAD -2, @LAD -2
vs PHI -4 OR vs PHI -2, @ PHI -2
@PIT -4 or vs PIT -2, @ PIT -2
vs CHC -4 Or vs CHC -2, @CHC -2

I apologize if that's hard to follow. The - sign denotes series and how many games each series would be
MaxPower
I just hope if we are combined with the NL West that they're smart enough to schedule back to back road series with the Dodgers / Angels and Giants / A's. Oh who am I kidding, Manfred is in charge of this thing and he couldn't pour water out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel.
Farmer1906
AG
mwm said:

Sometimes, when you're trying to fix something, you actually make it worse. Please, please don't this to baseball.

I'd almost rather not have any baseball at all in 2020 than to mess it up so bad we'll never recognize it again.
So playing different teams than normal is messing it up?

The game is still the same. It 10000% beats no baseball.
BMX Bandit
cpsencik04 said:

But those division winners could be from either league. Meaning you'd have uneven amount on one side. Say AL wins all three divisions then they get 4 wildcards. You now have 7 AL teams and 4 NL teams?

No.

There are six divisions. The only other division American League west plays is the national league west. AL West and NL west have separate standings.
BMX Bandit
mwm said:

With all due respect, that's just dumb.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
This is not what the article states. It says that the leagues will be merged into three divisions.
BMX Bandit
Then that's wholly different then what MLB has been talking about doing. So who the hell knows how playoffs would work

BMX Bandit
And it's still a hell of a lot better than "no baseball at all"
tjack16
AG
So based on these three divisions What if you just did the playoffs like the NBA? Top eight or 12 teams go?

That makes more sense than these given divisions and having division champions from these
expresswrittenconsent
NL pennant - check
AL pennant - check
WS - check
I'd love to win a 3rd pennant "Central League" or other!
Mathguy64
AG
Nothing like being the the Division with the best 2 teams in baseball.
Farmer1906
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

NL pennant - check
AL pennant - check
WS - check
Yes!

I would love to win this year. No one else would ever replicate it.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

NL pennant - check
AL pennant - check
WS - check
Yes!

I would love to win this year. No one else would ever replicate it.

2020 MLB Western Division Champions. We can even break out the cowboy hats if we win it at Dodger stadium
Farmer1906
AG
I actually think the postseason could be better than ever.

If you took the top 3 division winners and the top record WC and have them all byes then matched up the next 8 best records (1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5) and then the winner of 1 v 8 would the Top WC team, 2 v 7 would play the worst division winner, etc.

4 rounds and you could keep increasing the games - 3 game series, 5 games series, 2 7 games series. Give ample time to semi set up your rotation between rounds.
W
AG
one thing about the proposed west division...

very few hitter friendly parks outside of Coors Field.

and the Giants, Padres, Dodgers, and A's stadiums are among the worst for hitters. SF & SD especially

Mathguy64
AG
Just means we need to bring our trash cans.

Seriously though, we are by far the best road team going the last 3 years. I like our chances. The only worry for me is a short season means you can't have a really bad stretch.
W
AG
and injuries will play a huge role as well.

upcoming free agents have a lot riding on this short season (i.e. get off to a great start)
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

one thing about the proposed west division...

very few hitter friendly parks outside of Coors Field.

and the Giants, Padres, Dodgers, and A's stadiums are among the worst for hitters. SF & SD especially

You think that's a good or bad thing?
Ag_07
AG
Can't believe I'm gonna say this but I kinda miss the Reddick v TED debate.

Those were simpler times
First Page Last Page
Page 231 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.