*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,647 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hopefully both sides continue to negotiate this week and get something done. June 30th start date? Sign me up!
JABQ04
AG
Fix Sports Southwest is showing the 1992 All Star game. Other than him getting shelled it's neat watching Tom Glavine pitch to Wade Boggs and Kirby Puckett. Seeing LF Barry Bonds from the Pirates and these other names reminds me of being a kid again.
bigjag19
AG
Did you see 92 Barry and wonder where the rest of him is?
n_touch
bigjag19 said:

Did you see 92 Barry and wonder where the rest of him is?
He just hasn't grown into his body yet. Wait till he hits puberty.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I try not to read comments under Astros stuff anymore because it's all some variation of "bang bang, buzz buzz ... cheaters"

Or when an astros player donates money/food, "why don't you donate the trophy back"

But I'm glad he checks his comments and called this dude out.
agdaddy04
AG
Is that dude trying to say 75% of Astro's fans side with the KKK? That's ****ed up.
n_touch
agdaddy04 said:

Is that dude trying to say 75% of Astro's fans side with the KKK? That's ****ed up.
To be fair he is a Texans fan.....
Post removed:
by user
mazag08
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I have no idea what that dude's intentions were, but Alex's post is a little tone deaf in retweeting someone lashing out against the KKK as a response to Antifa being labeled a terrorist organization.

Alex would be best to stay out of politics. The guy he responded to is correctly pointing out that the only thing that can possibly happen is to alienate fans one way or the other. It looks bad for the guy who responded because the tweet was "condemning the KKK", but why Alex chose to retweet that of all things is weird (likely virtue signaling) considering the KKK really had nothing to do with the subject at hand (Antifa being labeled a terrorist organization).
Post removed:
by user
mazag08
AG
third coast.. said:

If every KKK member on earth was an astros fan it wouldnt comprise 7.5% of our fanbase, let alone 75%
From Wikipedia..

Quote:

The modern KKK is not one organization; rather it is composed of small independent chapters across the United States.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan#cite_note-215][214][/url] According to a 1999 ADL report, the KKK's estimated size then was "No more than a few thousand, organized into slightly more than 100 units"
And that was 20 years ago. So your post should actually read..

Quote:

If every KKK member on earth was an astros fan it wouldnt comprise 0.075% of our fanbase, let alone 75%
Post removed:
by user
CFTXAG10
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
This is good progress.
CFTXAG10
AG
I agree. This won't be the final plan, but its good to see both sides are working on it.
Farmer1906
AG

50 games? How do we go 82 to 114 to 50?

Clowns
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Is it me or does 50 seem ridiculously low.
Buck Compton
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Is it me or does 50 seem ridiculously low.
Yes, it's a counter so they end up somewhere around 70-80. But logistics and so many northern ballparks means you can't just play until the end of October, then play playoffs. The MLBPA proposal for 114 is equally as ridiculous.
3B Paul 97
AG
So it will end up being a full prorated share of 70-80 games?
Farmer1906
AG
It is barely over 1/4 of the season. Owners would only have to pay 1/4 of their payroll.

It would create a shortage of supply and if we do get butts in seats then the prices are going to be ridiculous.

Ultimately, it would give us a postseason. Possibly expanded postseason. Playoff baseball is unmatched. Instead of 11-20 games for the WS teams, it would be another round of baseball. 14-27 games.
Ag13
AG
Seems like 50 game proposal is rather revealing of how much the owners are willing to pay.

Said another way, it's yet again bad faith "negotiating" with a plan that is dead on arrival. 50 games is ridiculous.
BMX Bandit
This is owners saying "we can pay you $XXX. How many games do you want to play?"

Players can get more money, but it won't be more than 83 games and won't be portrated
BMX Bandit
Quote:

? How do we go 82 to 114 to 50?

What the midpoint of the 114 & 50?
Farmer1906
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

82=(114+50)/2

Frigging magic
MaxPower
It makes sense. The original agreement stipulated pro rated (players win) and the owners choose the schedule (owners win). If I'm the players I push for the 60 rather than 50 games and get this thing done.
bigjag19
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

82=(114+50)/2

Frigging magic

Mediation at its long drawn out finest.
Farmer1906
AG
iBrad
AG
I'm okay with a shorter season if they take more teams to the playoffs; two from each division plus two wild card teams. Have one best of five series and then everything else best of seven. You could potentially play 26 playoff baseball games.

It would be great. So many teams would be in the playoff hunt the entire season. The tanking teams might even have a reason to try.
BMX Bandit
There won't be that big an expansion of playoffs. It's 2 more team per league.

Looks like this 50 league season wasn't a proposal. It's what MLB is going to put in place if no agreement can be reached.
07ag
AG
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1975968

get ready for lots of astros after dark
https://ts.la/eric59704
Oyster DuPree
AG
07ag said:

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1975968

get ready for lots of astros after dark

Gag. I would guess that if this happens and they're doing it to cut down on travel like the article says, there may be some extended road trips and homestands too
BMX Bandit
6 games series
CFTXAG10
AG
I feel like I already know the answer to this, but I wonder if consideration will be made for the Arlington Rangers and Astros in terms of game start times. Even if they move it back an hour. 8pm start is better than 9pm.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
How exactly does a set up like that work in terms of who makes the playoffs and who plays who in a World Series?

How do you decide who is on which side of the playoff bracket? Are we seriously about to have the first ever all AL World Series?
Mathguy64
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I feel like I already know the answer to this, but I wonder if consideration will be made for the Arlington Rangers and Astros in terms of game start times. Even if they move it back an hour. 8pm start is better than 9pm.
If they are playing in empty stadiums the start time doesn't matter. If they have fans in seats I'm sure MLB will happily accommodate the CST teams with earlier starts and things like 1:00 PM get away day games. By that I mean when west coast teams play here we accommodate them. When we play there, well we saw that last year in Oakland with the regular start time and having to play here the next day.
First Page Last Page
Page 230 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.