*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,047 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who said it?
DVC2010
AG
Ag_07 said:

Who said it?

Adam Ottavino
Exsurge Domine
Just wanted to let you guys know The Rocket is going to be spinning tunes tomorrow at Houston Oaks weekend Karaoke according to the weekend event list I just got
Forum Troll
AG
Dan_Shedd said:

20 years old? Time to demolish and replace. This time though make it outdoor only with no air circulation.
TRM
AG
Doesn't say anything about cuts, but at least our farm system guys are taken care of.

Mathguy64
AG
That very carefully says "stipend" not pay or contract. I wonder if that's just semantics or if that means they are getting something but not their normal pay. Although I suspect guys in A or lower were not exactly making a living wage.
Farmer1906
AG
A little dramatic, but I think there is some serious truth in this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-05-29/plaschke-mlb-faces-major-problems-if-season-is-not-played-coronavirus%3F_amp%3Dtrue
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

A little dramatic, but I think there is some serious truth in this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-05-29/plaschke-mlb-faces-major-problems-if-season-is-not-played-coronavirus%3F_amp%3Dtrue
Plaschke is typically a blow hard, but honestly, I don't think anything he said wrote was overly dramatic. It was spot-on.

Baseball has an opportunity here, but seems content to blow it.

Remember Baseball after 9/11? It helped with healing. It helped with unity. I know it is comparing apples to oranges when it comes to comparing a virus to terror attacks, but in essence, they are similar. The landscape of the world has changed. Many people are living in fear. Baseball helped people remember we can continue on. It's played every day in the summer. It's dependable. It's reliable.

Now, it's billionaires fighting millionaires. I know everyone wants to get theirs, but sometimes you have to look at the big picture. The players and owners could effectively kill the league as we know it. That destroys all their livelihoods.

Hopefully, they wake up and realize they opportunity. If they let NBA, NHL or MLS, start before baseball, MLB will continue to lose fans, play even emptier stadiums and die a slow death.

Unfortunately, I think they will **** it up. Manfred is weak. He is a wet rag. This shouldn't be a Gordon Gecko "Greed is good" situation.

It makes me sad the last baseball game I attended was Game 6 of the WS. We need a new start with a new season, but we are stuck with Tobias' "ANUSTART."
mwm
From 5.16.20 and I believe it more today than I did then:

"They're teasing us with the prospects of baseball in 2020. The players & owners will end up leaving you & me as the jilted lover."
BMX Bandit
as I said on the other thread, If baseball thought the reaction to canceling 1994 season was rough, see how the country reacts to not playing in 2020 over a money dispute.
Ag_07
AG
I don't know...I think there's enough people)casual fans out there who would chalk it up to the Rona and say 'Yeah...it's the right thing to do. Better safe than sorry'.

Unlike in '94 with so much getting cancelled I don't think it would be a big deal. It would just be one more thing getting cancelled.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I think it is more of a missed opportunity. Diehard baseball fans won't stop watching because they screwed up 2020. But the opportunity to gain a new generation of fans and build on those you have will have been lost.
Farmer1906
AG
When the rest of the world opens (nhl, nba, soccer, theme parks, etc) and baseball doesn't when 40 M Americans are out of a job, it'll hit different.
JABQ04
AG
cpsencik04 said:

I think it is more of a missed opportunity. Diehard baseball fans won't stop watching because they screwed up 2020. But the opportunity to gain a new generation of fans and build on those you have will have been lost.

Absolutely. Baseball could have been one of the few things to bring normalcy back into America. We had SK as an example of how to do it. Huge missed opportunity. I do feel the arguments over money during these times will sour many people's attitudes towards baseball players and owners.
Ag_07
AG
Agree about that.

I just don't think it's gonna be some big to do that sets the game back
W
AG
unfortunately, we're talking about the players union.

no one thought they would cancel the 1994 world series either
Farmer1906
AG
W
AG
thinking positively...

if the season resumes July 4th weekend and the schedule holds...the Astros would be in Washington D.C. to play the Nationals July 3-4-5.

then the all-star break would have been July 13-16. MLB will find a team for the Astros to play. Maybe the Rangers.

and at the end of July the 'stros are supposed to be at Target Field in Minnesota. Hopefully the rioting is over by then
agdaddy04
AG
I imagine the schedule is completely different
BMX Bandit
The schedule is not going to hold. It's not possible to keep it.
TRM
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29241941/future-mlb-not-just-2020-season-stake

Quote:

If that doesn't happen -- if they can't agree on a deal to play in 2020 -- baseball will become a loathed presence on North America's sporting landscape, scorned by many fans. The labor fight will merely be deferred, with escalation in some form all but assured because of the unresolved issues.

Next spring, with only months remaining in the current collective bargaining agreement, the players are more apt to use the threat of a strike. Owners, already damaged by the money losses this year, could be more inclined to dig in and wait out the players, aiming for a lasting reconstruction of baseball's financial model. The labor fight could go on and on, and by the time it all plays out, it's impossible to know how many fans, feeling alienated or disgusted, will leave baseball behind once and for all.
MaxPower
From that article, they mention SOME owners are willing to lose the season. There could be some interesting strife amongst the ownership group. I could see teams with more long-term vision and/or involved in the 1994 strike (Yankees ownership group) who may not be as willing to give up on a season.
bigjag19
AG
Probably depends on where the owners generate income. Crane is probably just fine without a season.

Does the Steinbrenner family really generate revenue elsewhere these days? They own the network, which is worthless without games.
MaxPower
I think the YES network is a reason they would absolutely want to play. I'm assuming the teams ok with not playing both a) aren't contenders this year and b) depend more on gate / stadium revenue than tv money.
bearkatag15
AG
Buck Compton
AG
Opt-out because you're "high risk" and still get salary...

114 games. They must be effing crazy if they think they'll get in that many games.

Playoff expansion? Definitely relevant for getting a season done this year.
Mathguy64
AG
Deferral of salaries. I assume that means they don't want to count this year on anyone contract.
MaxPower
I'm not sure that addresses any of the owners concerns. If they're losing money on a per game basis why would they want more games? It seems these two need to fly to a location, lock themselves in a room and don't leave until they get a deal done. This whole remote I will email you a response a few days later isn't working.
W
AG
114-game season that ends October 31st.

truckload of doubleheaders coming...or hardly any days off
Buck Compton
AG
114 games in 121 days if you start on July 3rd... Yeah, right.

Without doubleheaders that's 16-17 days with games in a row. One day off. Then do it all over again.
Farmer1906
AG
This is nonsense. Both sides are so far apart it's like they're not even playing the same game.

The original agreed was for the season to be pro rated right? It would be ~1/2 season if they can start in early
July. That's 50%. Now they think they can squeeze in more to get 70%. They're negotiating the wrong direction.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

This is nonsense. Both sides are so far apart it's like they're not even playing the same game.

The original agreed was for the season to be pro rated right? It would be ~1/2 season if they can start in early
July. That's 50%. Now they think they can squeeze in more to get 70%. They're negotiating the wrong direction.
Korean baseball looking better for you now?
mazag08
AG
Remember when MLB/owners were being unreasonable? Players just want to get paid what they're due?

Now they want to get paid for not doing anything.

The players union, at this point. Is 100% at fault for any delays or season cancellations. These idiots don't want proportional money. They want more than they are worth.. and more than any income they will bring in. Eff em.
W
AG
fair to wonder how much the rioting is impacting the owners...particularly the ones that were already leaning toward cancelling the entire season.

can't play games under these circumstances. Won't be any security available. And there may be rioting on and off in the big cities thru the November election
Farmer1906
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 229 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.