*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,696 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I don't think any proposal that would have come out today would have gotten any other response. This will drag out for a few more days before they come to an agreement.
astros4545
AG
Agree

The idea that either side will ever accept an opening offer and be thrilled with what they are receiving is hilarious
tjack16
AG
My hope for a season dwindles with each story I see ... I'm beginning to really believe we won't see Astros baseball until 2021.

I hope I'm proven wrong but it's 1 step forward 2 steps back with each story
Mr.Bond
AG
Baseball has such a huge opportunity here. And they are going to f*** it up just like they did 1994. It's going to set the game back even further and it infuriates me and pisses me off
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

expresswrittenconsent
That kind of deal got the NFLPA to sign a 10yr labor agreement, but with the nfl having the weakest union in sports and mlb having the strongest union in sports that seems like a no go.
bearkatag15
AG

So the proposal had big money players getting paid 25% of their contract for this year.
redline248
AG
Quote:

minimum salary players will get >100 percent of prorated pay but close to it.
so, like 101%? 100.5%? Or did he turn his symbol the wrong way? Poorly worded sentence, imo.
bearkatag15
AG
yeah pretty sure its just backwards
bearkatag15
AG
n_touch
bearkatag15 said:

So a half season + playoffs and they would only make about 20-30? Doubt any of them go for that.
CFTXAG10
AG
n_touch said:

bearkatag15 said:

So a half season + playoffs and they would only make about 20-30? Doubt any of them go for that.
Being that this was the starting point for the negotiation I think the % will slowly rise in favor of the players.

Heyman's example is funny though. Cole thought he was getting 18mill for half the season. Now told he is an upper tier salary guy so it may be closer to 9 mill for 82 games (25%). That still comes out to $110k/game, and he actually pitches how many of those?
Buck Compton
AG
This is not an absurd proposal. Percentages will come up, but look at how many corporations out there where the VPs and up took a huge pay cut, some mid level folks took a slight one, then lower level and hourly took basically no pay cut.

It's the only way to make the dollars work at this point if we want baseball. It won't be this extreme, but it will not be even across all players. Unless those stars want their minimum salary teammates to be playing for 100k before taxes this year. MLBPA better not mess this up.
expresswrittenconsent
"its the only way"
YNWA_AG
AG
MaxPower
His words seem to contradict his example. I took it as 25% of what his full salary would have been for 82 games, so roughly 50% of $36M and then 25% of that (or $4.5M). If it's 25% of a full year then I agree that isn't horrible depending on what the percentages are for the middle class.
Pahdz
Mr.Bond said:

Baseball has such a huge opportunity here. And they are going to f*** it up just like they did 1994. It's going to set the game back even further and it infuriates me and pisses me off

I feel the same way. Especially if every other league finds a way to make it happen.
Alex Bregman
AG
Pahdz said:

Mr.Bond said:

I feel the same way. Especially if every other league finds a way to make it happen.
Baseball should lead the way, but I have a feeling they will prolong this and ruin it. Would definitely leave a bad taste in my mouth.
bearkatag15
AG
This is ludicrous
BMX Bandit
Why is it ludicrous?
CFTXAG10
AG
redline248
AG
I really don't know whose side I am on (or should be on), here. The owners want to play so they can get some TV revenue, and the players should want to play so they get paid something. Seems to me like the players should realize that if there is no season it will hurt salaries in following years.
bearkatag15
AG
I don't agree with the sliding scale. Why should big money players take the bigger % cut. Especially when it's that big of a difference. Just do cuts evenly across the board regardless of base salary.
themissinglink
AG
Those numbers seem low, and I would assume come up in the next round of negotiations. I'd be more sympathetic to the owners if they released numbers showing their numbers on the expected financial impact (highly unlikely). 30% of revenue is gate attendance which won't come back this year. Not sure how TV or licensing contracts work, but I would assume those get prorated/cut in some manner.
CFTXAG10
AG
I think a lot of people feel that way and just want baseball back. One thing I think is a big divide here is transparency. If players are taking these big pay cuts as a % then what type of cut are the owners taking? Do we even know yet? There's a projection out there but what if the owners make more than originally thought? Who gets the overage? Lots of nitpicking going to take place through Sunday
Farmer1906
AG
They don't release that info.
Pahdz
When has MLB ever led the way in anything?
Alex Bregman
AG
Pahdz said:

When has MLB ever led the way in anything?
True.

I just see baseball as being the least risky major sport to play in this environment. If they don't make it happen, but then football does, it makes them look pretty weak in my eyes.
Frok
AG
Baseball may be dead to me if they don't come back. Spoiled millionaires
MaxPower
If the owners refuse to pay full salaries agreed in March and call off the season, can the players just start their own league? I think the owners would be in breach of contract so I presume the players have every right to take their services elsewhere. They should be looking into this and using it as a way to reverse the leverage back on the owners.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Just caught the last few innings of this Cubs vs Indians WS game 7.....bottom of the 8th sure did have a very dejavu feeling to it

Can't quite put my find on why....oh yea

bigjag19
AG
Offer the players taking more than a 50% or 60% cut the option to let this season count against their contract or not. For some older high paid vets another year of big guaranteed money could be a selling point.
Buck Compton
AG
MaxPower said:

If the owners refuse to pay full salaries agreed in March and call off the season, can the players just start their own league? I think the owners would be in breach of contract so I presume the players have every right to take their services elsewhere. They should be looking into this and using it as a way to reverse the leverage back on the owners.
I see you've never negotiated a serious contract in the professional world. There are a million clauses and variables built into the agreement, especially in a collective bargaining deal. They're not in breach of contract.

This is also the most ridiculous scenario. Players going to start their own league for one season? Going to negotiate their own TV rights? Going to find venues, staff them up, and pay those employees? Going to negotiate with ticket vendors and manage that process? Also, forfeit all that guaranteed money for any remaining years on their contract? All for a shortened season?
Buck Compton
AG
bigjag19 said:

Offer the players taking more than a 50% or 60% cut the option to let this season count against their contract or not. For some older high paid vets another year of big guaranteed money could be a selling point.
This is actually a creative solution. I need to think about the impacts of this some more.
Buck Compton
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I think a lot of people feel that way and just want baseball back. One thing I think is a big divide here is transparency. If players are taking these big pay cuts as a % then what type of cut are the owners taking? Do we even know yet? There's a projection out there but what if the owners make more than originally thought? Who gets the overage? Lots of nitpicking going to take place through Sunday
Then the players should have agreed to some kind of a revenue split arrangement. Then they would know exactly how much owners are making and the pay cut would be evenly divided.
bigjag19
AG
Buck Compton said:

bigjag19 said:

This is actually a creative solution. I need to think about the impacts of this some more.

Just make sure I'm properly credited for saving baseball.
First Page Last Page
Page 225 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.