*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,826 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He linked a VOX article as part of his questioning of playing. That is all you have to know
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Ag_07
AG
Just step away from the keyboard

I'm not a fan of his and he's VERY pro player and very out there in his labor ideologies.

But c'mon...
astros4545
AG
I take back what I said about southpaws
W
AG
so with regard to player salaries...

if an 82-game schedule ends up being played...

then a player who is under contract to make $20 MM for the 2020 season...will receive a salary of $10 MM since the season was essentially cut in half.

is it that simple?
Mathguy64
AG
That's the proposal that the owners signed off to and that's what the players are balking at.

In addition the proposal uses a full league DH and expanded rosters.
Farmer1906
AG
What are the teams generating. Half? Loss of gate so maybe 40%? 60% because most of the money comes from TV?
W
AG
that's the big unknown.

what is the split in revenue between TV and gate receipts.

it's probably different for all 30 franchises
Ag_07
AG
Jesus...Only the MLBPA would balk at getting half the pay for half the work.
gougler08
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah I'm actually surprised the owners started at 50% considering everything will be out of with tickets, concessions, suites, etc. I figured they'd start at 40% and negotiate it to a 50/50 split
07ag
AG
from what i've read the union's concern is that rev splits are usually associated with salary caps, and that the owners might use this precedent to force a rev split salary cap in future years. and mlbpa is very against salary caps
https://ts.la/eric59704
BMX Bandit
Ag_07 said:

They'd love to get half pay.

The owners don't want to give them half pay. They want to give half of revenue to players. That will be much less than half pay
Farmer1906
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
So at most $105 mil for 2020
n_touch
n_touch
W
AG
the Dodgers are going to play a truckload of road games as L.A. County extends its stay-at-home order into August.

the rematch will be at MMP.

the Phillies are supposed to come to MMP in July and the Marlins in September. So if the plan is approved for interleague to be AL West vs. NL West...could see the Dodgers in one of those slots
Jackal99
AG
W said:

the Dodgers are going to play a truckload of road games as L.A. County extends its stay-at-home order into August.

the rematch will be at MMP.

the Phillies are supposed to come to MMP in July and the Marlins in September. So if the plan is approved for interleague to be AL West vs. NL West...could see the Dodgers in one of those slots
Just because one can never say it enough... **** the LA Dodgers.
07ag
AG
n_touch said:

reminded me of being a kid, growing up in the country,, parents had a lot of land and no neighbors near by. sometimes i'd go out, hit a ball as far as i could (imagining i was in the world series or whatever), walk it down, hit it again, etc. good times!
https://ts.la/eric59704
BMX Bandit
I think you can throw the current schedule out the window.
CFTXAG10
AG

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So if we expand the rosters what do you think the number is? 28? 30?

Who do we have up that we wouldn't have?

Does this stuff effect options etc?

Ted up full time yes? Straw? Toro? Forrest finally get his break? What other young pitchers?
Mathguy64
AG
Pretty decent article on what's at stake with the financing and shortened season.
W
AG
according to the article...the Astros would only play games vs. AL West opponents and NL West opponents.

which means the Astros and Rangers would have a ton of home games or neutral site games.

because the 5 California teams won't be playing home games for quite a while (Angels, A's, Padres, Giants, Dodgers). And the Mariners might have issues too
Ag13
AG
W said:

according to the article...the Astros would only play games vs. AL West opponents and NL West opponents.

which means the Astros and Rangers would have a ton of home games or neutral site games.

because the 5 California teams won't be playing home games for quite a while (Angels, A's, Padres, Giants, Dodgers). And the Mariners might have issues too

Would be great to play the west coast teams in a neutral location ... that happens to be in the central time zone
Mathguy64
AG
The Dodgers can play all their games at MMP. We can even bang trashcan lids for them while they bat. No extra charge.
W
AG
if I were the MLB schedule-planner...I would have the Dodgers at MMP on 4th of July weekend to open the shortened season.

get the hype started
tjack16
AG
On their fortnite live stream for charity just now, Bregman and Reddick asked Springer if he was going to re sign ...... crickets

It was a good 20 seconds of awkward silence before they moved onto something else and Reddick said "George's mic is muted"
Bulldog73
AG
You know, George in the clubhouse is extremely tough (if not impossible) to replace. I know it's been debated as nauseam and will be more, especially if we don't get baseball started soon, but from the age and money perspective, it wouldn't be the end of the world to see him walk. However, as a person who probably puts too much emphasis on the clubhouse, seeing him walk would be really tough. In short, I'm conflicted.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm not conflicted. I've said it before. George Springer is the heart and soul of this team. You don't let your heart and soul walk away. I think Lunhow and Hinch would have done whatever it took to keep George on this team. Who knows what the FNGs will do. They have no emotional attachment to anyone on the roster. Maybe that's good. Maybe not. It also may be that guys will not be as interested in resigning with Crane.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
We need to keep George.
Bregxit
AG
If we let George walk, I may walk for a while.
BMX Bandit
What's the basis for thinking that about Luhnow? Springer is the kind of signing he would not do IMO. If Luhnow "would have done anything" to keep Springer, he would have never reached free agency.

I love Springer & hope they find a way to keep him, but don't see how they have the money In 2023, do you really see them with over $84mm in. 3 position players?
iBrad
AG
Springer has to be on board with staying, too. We don't know his intentions. His manager currently has a one year contract and he's never played for him. If I were him, I wouldn't make any decision right now.
Farmer1906
AG
I think we're going to run into problems resigning George. We did him wrong on the way up and now he's going to hit the market for the first time when he is 31. I would expect him to be looking for the largest deal possible. After all, he's already gotten a ring. Can we afford to give him 5 year, 125 M? Do we think years 34-35 will be worth it?
n_touch
Hinch will land with a team over the off season and George will be a target of theirs.
First Page Last Page
Page 214 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.