*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,924 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
3B Paul 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mwm said:

I'm okay with that. How 'bout adding the phillies, dodgers, angels to the list? They, too, have had big problems in their cities. But, especially NY.

I'll allow it.
mazag08
AG
So this season will be 50 games of Astros vs Rangers.

Start it now and force the rest of the sports depraved country to feast their eyes on the greatest state.
3B Paul 97
AG
That match up would make the Harlem Globetrotters blush.
TREX01
I haven't check this thread in probably a month so I didn't go back to see if there was any discussion about this. A thought about Altuve and his chase for 3000 hits. With this injury issues the last couple of years and now this season being in jeopardy, there is a very real chance that his quest for 3000 has dried up. This will end up costing him about a years worth of games and you just don't recover from that in your late 30's. Hate to see that happen to him but at this point its a very real possibility.
astros4545
AG
It was never going to be easy

But losing 50 hits in a pursuit of 3,000 is not insignificant
Marvin
AG
TREX01 said:

I haven't check this thread in probably a month so I didn't go back to see if there was any discussion about this. A thought about Altuve and his chase for 3000 hits. With this injury issues the last couple of years and now this season being in jeopardy, there is a very real chance that his quest for 3000 has dried up. This will end up costing him about a years worth of games and you just don't recover from that in your late 30's. Hate to see that happen to him but at this point its a very real possibility.

In the 8 years since his rookie season, Altuve has averaged 188 hits. Can he replicate that for another 8? I wouldn't bet against him, but it will be a hill to climb. The question is whether he can make some noise the next couple of seasons. If so, I think he'd certainly give it a shot. If he can stay on his roughly 204 hits per 162 game pace, meaning he stays healthy, he would get there in right about 2400 games. That matches closely to modern players such as Gwinn (2284), Jeter (2362), Rose (2370), Molitor (2411) and Carew (2416). How awesome would it be to cheer another career Astros to 3,000 hits?

No team has more than two players that reached 3,000 hits wearing their jersey (10 teams in total have two players), and only 20 teams total have at least one on the list.

Looks like Miguel Cabrera could be the next one to reach 3000 hits, if he can stay healthy. He would give the Tigers their third player. Interestingly, the next on the list with a shot are Robinson Cano and Nick Markakis... can they stay healthy and play another four years? After that it is slim pickings until you get to Altuve and Starlin Castro. I'd throw Trout in there as well, if his health maintains.
Farmer1906
AG
3,000 hits is such a crazy feat because you have to play and play at a fairly high level for so long.

Right now there is 1 active player with more than 3,000 hits and only 3 players with 2,000-2,999.

If he can play 10 more years, then I think he will. But say he retires at 38 (not crazy) then he's need to average 160 a year. Over the last 2 years he's been very good yet only averaged 159.
TREX01
The problem for guys like Miggy and Cano is what will the extended down time do to them. Will Miggy gain a bunch more weight? Will Cano? Will they be in good enough shape to give it a go at some point this season? Guys being shut down for extended periods of time in their mid to later 30's are losing valuable time in their pursuit of 300.

As far as Altuve goes, I think its foolish to think he will hold up as he ages. He's also likely to lose a step or two which will decrease his infield hit totals as well. Can he get there? Most definitely. I think a fairly healthy Altuve is probably a 2600-2900 hit guy for his career. With a little luck he could make a run at 3000 but that luck needs to start with games being played sooner rather than later.
Farmer1906
AG
Guys in their 20s with 1200+
Machado (26) 1200 - still early but pacing well.
Rizzo (29) 1204 - no shot
Heyward (29) 1286 - cant see it
Trout (27) 1324 - assuming decent health he should get there
Hosmer (29) 1451 - not out of the question, but no.
Freeman (29) 1451 - better than Hosmer, but still no.
Altuve (29) 1568 - decent shot
Castro (29) 1617 - has an extra season (~650 for PA) on Altuve. Very unlikely even though he's in the best position.
TREX01
Tuve is 30
Farmer1906
AG
TREX01 said:

Tuve is 30
Correct. As of yesterday, he is 30.
Jackal99
AG
Tuve may be 30, but did y'all know Juan Soto is only 21?
expresswrittenconsent
Farmer1906 said:

TREX01 said:

Tuve is 30
Correct. As of yesterday, he is 30.

But you posted that he was 29 today. And a superfanboy like you definitely saw the "happy 30th, tuve" posts yesterday on this thread and social media.
Farmer1906
AG
bluefire579
AG
Hosmer is also 30
bearkatag15
AG

**** Jomboy but I'm down for some Fiers shade
bluefire579
AG
Pine tar seems to be pretty widely used by pitchers. I don't think they actually enforce that rule any more.
Mathguy64
AG
I missed the rampant over the top anger at Fiers cheating. When Jomboy wants Fiers out of the game and his no hitter removed from the record books get back to me. Or better yet, let's all wait for him to methodically expose the Yankees pitchers using stuff on gloves and hats.
Ag_07
AG
Mike Fiers has 2 no-nos and Roger Clemens has 0

Baseball is weird
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

Mike Fiers has 2 no-nos and Roger Clemens has 0

Baseball is weird
I blame it on the roids.
expresswrittenconsent
Wasn't Mindy McCready like 15 when clemens banged her out?
Fiers and Rog both a wee bit pedophile.
n_touch
Had a comment ready to go but decided not to go there. That is the rumor though.
MaxPower
Yes when they first met but she claims it didn't become sexual until several years later.
YNWA_AG
AG
MaxPower
YNWA_AG said:

That has to be optimal outcome for Astros. It's hard to fathom anyone getting a premium talent after round 5 on $20k and the ones they do get are likely due to other reasons (ie a guy signing with Rangers from DFW). We have 4 "bullets", which is the same as the Yankees. While they pick higher and will have more $ in the pool, it's less draconian than it might have originally been (especially considering the shortened college season / scouting will make hits harder to identify even with a high pick).
redline248
AG
W
AG
I think this is a good development for the Astros.

but what a financial disaster for all the high school seniors that would have been picked in rounds 6 to 15. Nowadays almost all of them sign with the teams...and for a whole, whole bunch more than $20k
redline248
AG
It's going to have a crazy trickle down effect on college recruiting. Those guys aren't gonna play in the minors for only a 20k bonus
bullard21k
AG
redline248 said:

So once the 5 rounds are over are they going to proceed in order of the draft and you sign any player for 20k when it's your turn to choose?

Or will it just be a complete free frawl to ink guys as quickly as possible ?
redline248
AG
Sounds like a free for all
bullard21k
AG
Dp
MaxPower
redline248 said:

It's going to have a crazy trickle down effect on college recruiting. Those guys aren't gonna play in the minors for only a 20k bonus
The boon will be for JUCO where they can re-enter the draft sooner.
07ag
AG
redline248 said:

that's what the bean counters want. why subsidize minor league teams to develop players when they can have colleges do it for free
https://ts.la/eric59704
Bulldog73
AG
100% going to help JUCO. I'm surprised the MLBPA allowed this, but I guess it protects the actual members even if it screws over the future members.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 212 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.