*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,396 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

The best Asian catcher in franchise history Hank Conger is a coach for the Lotte Giants
Pahdz
Never saw that one
CFTXAG10
AG
Ouch.

Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15
AG

Hope this is true.
the last of the bohemians
Yordan 100 rbi in 80 games.
Verlander perfect 12-0 season.
Altuve bats .400
Big Al 1992
AG
Will they redo the entire schedule or just start with whoever teams were originally playing - if so will be interesting to see what the breakdown is of Astros AL west opponents.

Of course June and July are years away in this environment.
Bregxit
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Hope this is true.
If all teams are playing at their home ballparks, who are they playing against?
BMX Bandit
Big Al 1992 said:

Will they redo the entire schedule or just start with whoever teams were originally playing - if so will be interesting to see what the breakdown is of Astros AL west opponents.

Of course June and July are years away in this environment.

They have to redo the schedule.
bearkatag15
AG

Loved this series.
bearkatag15
AG
also Happy 30th BDay to the GOAT, Altuve you beautiful *******

CFTXAG10
AG
I actually agree with Scott. They just need to figure out the logistics.

Deluxe
AG
Not sure if anyone listened to the Bryce Harper interview with Starting 9 but the Astros came up twice. Once was confirmation of the rumors that he was almost traded to the Astros at the 2018 trade deadline, but we all basically knew that.

The other Astros mention I was not aware of... that we offered Harper a 1 year deal for "insane" money when he became a free agent in the 2018-19 offseason. My guess is that "insane" money was in the $40-45 million range. Obviously it didn't happen so kind of irrelevant at this point. Just thought it was interesting. If that had happened, guessing we wouldn't have signed Brantley and we probably would have made another move to clear space.

I know Farmer1906 would disagree with this because he loves Harper and wanted him so bad that offseason, but at the end of the day, we're probly better off with Brantley at 2/$32 million.
BullSprig07
AG
The dollar/production rate we've gotten so far from Brantley is one of the best deals in Baseball IMO
Mathguy64
AG
Ah. The pitch that "Lidged" Aroldis Chapman.

His 19th pitch and it was a hanging 84 mph breaking ball. That ball got exactly what it deserved.
Deluxe
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

The dollar/production rate we've gotten so far from Brantley is one of the best deals in Baseball IMO
Agreed!
tjack16
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

I'm just hoping we get another season (this one or next season) out of him so it doesn't turn into a one and done
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Is it baseball season yet?
bluefire579
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Loved this series.
That series really kicked us into gear last year. We were really skidding there at the end of April after a quick start, then went to Mexico and just destroyed the Angels. Kind of got the mojo back and got us rolling.

Man, I miss baseball.
Farmer1906
AG
Damn you got me pegged. Harper would have led to going undefeated in the 18 postseason.
gougler08
AG
mathguy86 said:

Ah. The pitch that "Lidged" Aroldis Chapman.

His 19th pitch and it was a hanging 84 mph breaking ball. That ball got exactly what it deserved.
But we cheated! Doesn't matter that it was a hanger after he couldn't throw a strike with his fastball over the past 6 pitches
Ag_07
AG
Speaking of...

I saw this graphic on the replay of one of the games the other night. Thought it pretty much says all that's needed to say when someone brings up a tainted ring or 'Yeah but they cheated'.

Also pretty damn incredible.

bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe said:

Not sure if anyone listened to the Bryce Harper interview with Starting 9 but the Astros came up twice. Once was confirmation of the rumors that he was almost traded to the Astros at the 2018 trade deadline, but we all basically knew that.

The other Astros mention I was not aware of... that we offered Harper a 1 year deal for "insane" money when he became a free agent in the 2018-19 offseason. My guess is that "insane" money was in the $40-45 million range. Obviously it didn't happen so kind of irrelevant at this point. Just thought it was interesting. If that had happened, guessing we wouldn't have signed Brantley and we probably would have made another move to clear space.

I know Farmer1906 would disagree with this because he loves Harper and wanted him so bad that offseason, but at the end of the day, we're probly better off with Brantley at 2/$32 million.
here is the interview for those interested in watching/listening

the last of the bohemians
Ag_07 said:

Speaking of...

I saw this graphic on the replay of one of the games the other night. Thought it pretty much says all that's needed to say when someone brings up a tainted ring or 'Yeah but they cheated'.

Also pretty damn incredible.

I want that as my screensaver
BMX Bandit
ClickClack
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Loved this series.

Never forget the churro vendors
CFTXAG10
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Opening up and playing at home will be hampered by states still having issues. Cali and NY in particular and specifically NY City. They have a long way to go before they can commit to playing there.
Farmer1906
AG

I just want my Astros baseball already
BMX Bandit
The issue of some states allowing fans, some not will be an interesting one (assuming any allow it) to see how MLB handles
mwm
Since the major "hot spot" for the virus has been NY, I propose that the yankees & the mets forfeit all of their 2020 games for the safety of the players & coaches.
CFTXAG10
AG
I wonder if they polled every MLB player if they would be willing to go through a spring training in June and start the season in July what percentage would say yes? Most of the guys I follow on social media including some of our own look bored out of their damn minds. Bet it would be pretty high.

I hope the players union doesn't **** it up, but the proposal does need to be fair and well thought out
astros4545
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I wonder if they polled every MLB player if they would be willing to go through a spring training in June and start the season in July what percentage would say yes? Most of the guys I follow on social media including some of our own look bored out of their damn minds. Bet it would be pretty high.

I hope the players union doesn't **** it up, but the proposal does need to be fair and well thought out

Colon McHugh doesn't want to risk his certain death by throwing a pitch

Glad that ***** is gone
3B Paul 97
AG
mwm said:

Since the major "hot spot" for the virus has been NY, I propose that the yankees & the mets forfeit all of their 2020 games for the safety of the players & coaches.

With Boston being so close, you should include the Red Sox as well. For safety, of course.
mwm
I'm okay with that. How 'bout adding the phillies, dodgers, angels to the list? They, too, have had big problems in their cities. But, especially NY.
First Page Last Page
Page 211 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.