*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,560 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody following the MLB Dream Bracket?

The all-time Astros swept the all-time Orioles 4-0 in a best of 7 series. We must have cheated:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-dream-bracket-round-of-32-orioles-vs-astros
shano0603
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Anybody following the MLB Dream Bracket?

The all-time Astros swept the all-time Orioles 4-0 in a best of 7 series. We must have cheated:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-dream-bracket-round-of-32-orioles-vs-astros
Yeah that would not be my lineup.

Pitchers: Roy Oswalt, Larry Dierker, Mike Scott, Joe Niekro, J.R. Richard, Dallas Keuchel, Nolan Ryan, Billy Wagner, Dave Smith, Joe Sambito, Brad Lidge
Starters:
C: Brad Ausmus
1B: Jeff Bagwell
2B: Craig Biggio
3B: Alex Bregman
SS: Carlos Correa
LF: Jose Cruz
CF: Cesar Cedeno
RF: Lance Berkman
DH: Jos Altuve
Bench: Jimmy Wynn, George Springer, Moises Alou, Terry Puhl, Bob Watson, Alan Ashby
bluefire579
AG
Who would you replace?

I think Biggio and Altuve would be interchangeable at 2B/DH. You have two guys who at their prime are excellent hitters (Altuve gets the edge here); based on the eye test, I'd say Biggio edges Altuve out defensively if looking at him in his prime, but I'd be interested to see advanced statistics on the matter.

I think at the current moment, it's hard to argue against the rest of the position players. You have potential with sustained success for someone like Springer to jump Cedeno or Cruz, but I'd say he needs to have several more years like his last few to get there.

Pitching-wise, I'm surprised Lidge is there, considering his success was very shortlived. He was so dominant for a short time and then just completely lost it when Pujols sent that ball into orbit.
shano0603
AG
bluefire579 said:

Who would you replace?

I think Biggio and Altuve would be interchangeable at 2B/DH. You have two guys who at their prime are excellent hitters (Altuve gets the edge here); based on the eye test, I'd say Biggio edges Altuve out defensively if looking at him in his prime, but I'd be interested to see advanced statistics on the matter.

I think at the current moment, it's hard to argue against the rest of the position players. You have potential with sustained success for someone like Springer to jump Cedeno or Cruz, but I'd say he needs to have several more years like his last few to get there.

Pitching-wise, I'm surprised Lidge is there, considering his success was very shortlived. He was so dominant for a short time and then just completely lost it when Pujols sent that ball into orbit.
Outfield is where I'm looking. Cruz and Cedeno for Alou and Springer. I believe it said best 3 years. So for Alou that is likely hitting .327 or so with 30+ bombs.

I also guess that JV hasn't played 3 full years so he doesn't qualify. Even though his ERA is under 2.5 since he's been here,
bluefire579
AG
shano0603 said:

bluefire579 said:

Who would you replace?

Outfield is where I'm looking. Cruz and Cedeno for Alou and Springer. I believe it said best 3 years. So for Alou that is likely hitting .327 or so with 30+ bombs.

I also guess that JV hasn't played 3 full years so he doesn't qualify. Even though his ERA is under 2.5 since he's been here,
Ah, missed the part where it said best three years. Definitely an argument that can be made by that metric. If you're going by that as well, I'd think that you could also potentially make a case for Mike Hampton or Darryl Kyle or even Shane Reynolds for their time in the 90s.
CoachRTM
AG
I would cheat and put Biggio at catcher.
falcon09
AG
If the Angels make it past the Tigers in their first round match up, does Nolan Ryan pitch against himself?
bearkatag15
AG

Biggio owned 4/20
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
Put Biggio at catcher, move Altuve to 2B and Springer to DH
k20dub
AG
CoachRTM
AG
I'll go to some neural games
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Makes way more sense than Arizona.

Minute Made
Minute Made lite
Olsen
TU
Skeeters
Frisco
Corpus
San Antonio Rough Riders
Corpus
Tceh
UH
SmU
TCU
Texas State

Plus many many more that I don't know I'm sure, JUCOs? Other semi pro stadiums?
Pahdz
That stadium in Grand Prairie next to the horse track still around?
BMX Bandit
It's not Texas instead of AZ, it's Texas in addition to AZ and FL
AstroAggie15
AG
CoachRTM said:

Again, the point of all this is fans not being there....
Marvin
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

CoachRTM said:

Again, the point of all this is fans not being there....

I was excited, and then womp womp...
CFTXAG10
AG
I agree it is a no-fan solution but if they start allowing small groups in or have such great success they decide to play the whole season like this we might be the first ones back in. Nobody knows at this point, but its fun to speculate.
tjack16
AG
Our offense feels very comfortable hitting in Arlington so I like this solution
n_touch
No matter where they play, do they get to bring the team trashcan?
the last of the bohemians
Blue Bell going to have MLB?
Mathguy64
AG
I wonder how much begging and politicking the Rangers are doing to get something going in their new indoor/outdoor carpet showroom? They have a mortgage payment to make and no income to make it.
maca1028
I like where your head's at!
Ag_07
AG
I gotta say it's kinda cool watching these replays on ATT knowing how the season shook out and how certain players ended up. Listening to Blummer's insight about projections and seeing some of the stats leaderboards knowing where everything ends up is different.

That said...It sucks seeing AJ in the dugout knowing how all that went down.
bearkatag15
AG

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
TRM
gigemJTH12
AG
they took it easy because a harsh penalty probably sets back the Red Sox a decade. They are already f*cked on their own. MLB taking care of one of their cash cows here.
CFTXAG10
AG
I will withhold judgment until I read the full report by MLB, but so far the first part of that Athletic article is bull****
redline248
AG
Quote:

In addition to Watkins' denial of decoding signs during the game via the replay system, the league said that 30 players said they had no knowledge of such behavior.
Of course they said that
CFTXAG10
AG
Yepp, all it took was seeing what happened to the Astros to keep their mouths shut.

Then this:

So Manfred is quick to point to the % of time a runner was on 2nd base was minimal? GFY. The guy literally put forth zero effort when it came to the Astros to compile data on how often certain players used the scheme or if they did at all. Just left them out to dry.
n_touch
This is a straight black eye for baseball even though they will never admit it. The fact that they could not do a real investigation is a joke. If you are going to use the Astros numbers from 2017 then you need to look at the same thing for the other teams to see what was going on. There is a jump on numbers of the Sox and Yanks from 2017 to 2018. I have no doubt that it was due to the hiring of Cora and Beltran. But whatever, they got the big bad Astros.
Mathguy64
AG
A great big nothing burger.
Ag13
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Yepp, all it took was seeing what happened to the Astros to keep their mouths shut.

Then this:

So Manfred is quick to point to the % of time a runner was on 2nd base was minimal? GFY. The guy literally put forth zero effort when it came to the Astros to compile data on how often certain players used the scheme or if they did at all. Just left them out to dry.
Has anyone seen where the full report is posted?
Marvin
AG
Astros ownership caved to protect their stake. Players sang like canaries to protect their paychecks.

They should have not cheated. Beyond that, they should have collectively taken it to their graves. I'm pissed off all over again...
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Lol.

Cheating is cheating, we just did it better. I'm ok with all of this.
redline248
AG
I don't think it's completely public, yet. Athletic article said it's coming this afternoon
First Page Last Page
Page 206 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.