*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,216 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Maybe trying to at least get them playing so everyone has something to do...or at least watch.

Highly doubtful.
tjack16
AG
I have a feeling that call is not good news for any of the leagues
agdaddy04
AG
Either bailout and full cancellations or discussing playing in front of empty stadium?
dshedd41
S
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/coronavirus-mlb-debating-playing-games-at-spring-training-ballparks-without-fans-per-report/
Gig’em Aggies!
Ag_07
AG
JV is all class. Good on him!

https://instagr.am/p/B-kG6oOggwk
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

mathguy86 said:

I don't think the offseason will end until next March.

I know. This sucks. I miss all you folks. Even Nuke.

I miss ewe too bae
CFTXAG10
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Either bailout and full cancellations or discussing playing in front of empty stadium?
Maybe this. "Hey guys, I know you will lose money playing in empty stadiums but the people could really use something to lift their spirits. Start putting together plans on a slow rollout and I will do what I can to provide financial relief for the revenue you are missing out on."
Thinice
Somewhat Astros related:

What happens if Stubhub goes under? Have some Astros tickets I paid close to face for. Will I at least get face value back from the team?
redline248
AG
I think this is relative to the topic of playing

Ag_07
AG
Yeah I don't think anyone is close to playing anything.

Maybe NASCAR or golf without fans but basketball where it's close contact and team sports like football and baseball where they're sharing locker rooms is a recipe for disaster. Look at what it does to cruise ships for an idea of what it would do in a locker room.
Mathguy64
AG
That tweet all but says we won't be playing team sports this summer. And football (college and pro) is on the clock. Having to refund all the season ticket revenue for college football would be a huge hit for lots of programs.
n_touch
Nascar wouldnt work. To many people needed to run the pit and safety crews.
Exsurge Domine
I'm going to start an OOTP Astros baseball thread Monday where I sim a game per day and give a run down of what happened. It'll be the closest thing I can do wife real baseball talk.
BMX Bandit
First report of what was discussed:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28995399/sources-trump-says-nfl-start

Quote:

Trump also said he hopes to have fans back in stadiums and arenas by August and September, sources said, though it is currently unclear if medical experts find that to be a realistic timeline amid the current coronavirus pandemic.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver told those on the call that the leagues were the first to shut down and that they would love to lead the way in starting the economy once there was an "all clear" from public health officials, sources familiar with the call told ESPN.

gougler08
AG
That seems quite positive to me
Exsurge Domine
Damn. August and September? Yikes.
AgsMyDude
AG
I'm failing to see a scenario in which even a half baseball season gets played at this point. CFB is in jeopardy because they already missed out on all of spring camp. If they don't get summer camp it's going to be hard to see more than just a conference schedule and nothing else.
redline248
AG
Apparently, ADs and conferences are talking about having football games in the spring, if needed. Speculatively, I don't know if MLB would be willing to push games to, say, an October start if given the green light late August or Sept. How would weather impact all the northern teams once Dec hit?

However, if no green light comes late summer - early fall, well, we'll just start spring training for '21, I guess.

gougler08
AG
AgsMyDude said:

I'm failing to see a scenario in which even a half baseball season gets played at this point. CFB is in jeopardy because they already missed out on all of spring camp. If they don't get summer camp it's going to be hard to see more than just a conference schedule and nothing else.

I read the report (especially the stuff from Silver) in that they may start playing sooner than August but just with empty stadiums. I'd be ok with that
W
AG
one big question with playing in empty stadiums for MLB...

does the TV revenue alone cover all of a given team's expenses?

payroll, air travel, hotels, increased medical staff, and so forth

W
AG
at some point leadership has to accept the risk and overrule the doctors
expresswrittenconsent
W said:

at some point leadership has to accept the risk and overrule the doctors

We are still months away from that point.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
gougler08 said:

AgsMyDude said:

I read the report (especially the stuff from Silver) in that they may start playing sooner than August but just with empty stadiums. I'd be ok with that
The Marlins have been OK with it for years.
BMX Bandit
Average is 30% of revenue from ticket sales
MaxPower
redline248 said:

I think this is relative to the topic of playing

Well the #1 reason that is the protocol is due to insufficient testing capabilities. If you could test the entire team every time someone is positive and get timely verification then you have more flexibility in quarantine protocol. You can't justify that now when testing a) isn't even available for everyone who has symptoms and b) it takes days to a week to get results back.

Baseball is probably in the best position because it naturally has social distancing in place. You might need to have protocols for the dugout and locker room but that's manageable compared to basketball or football where close contact is essential to the game.
spadilly
S
safety guy
AG
At some point, we are going to have to accept the risk. It is risk vs reward. If we wait for no one to have the virus, it may never end.
CFTXAG10
AG
The results coming out yesterday and today have been positive so far. Lets hope it keeps trending that way. I am still optimistic we can get going again in June. May not be a full rollout but we can ease back into it until its safe for all of us to be throwing back cold ones in the confines of the juicebox.
Farmer1906
AG
Yes, it is. The expected peak is in 10 days and looks to be significantly low by June 1. I think we can have fans in ballparks by July 4th. (random-ass guess!)
Post removed:
by user
CFTXAG10
AG
Stros were originally scheduled to be in DC for July 4th against the Nationals
n_touch
Are the "Opening Day" tickets gonna be stupid priced like normal opening days?
Mr.Bond
AG
n_touch said:

Did Carol Baskins kill her husband?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

n_touch
Mr.Bond said:

n_touch said:

Did Carol Baskins kill her husband?
Not sure if she did or the tiger's did but he was definitely eaten.
Farmer1906
AG
n_touch said:

I would think so. The secondary market is going to be nuts.
First Page Last Page
Page 200 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.