*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,968 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the MLB folks are working tirelessly on scheduling right now w/ a lot of different scenarios in play. Ideally, if they could get rolling in mid to late June w/ no crowds and other restrictions and then ease back into the normal way of life with the rest of the world they will get a decent amount of the season in. It would likely trickle through November. I think it would be awesome to have playoffs or a World Series during Thanksgiving! Then at the same time college and pro football? Sign me up.

Saying all that though, it is entirely dependent on how we as a country continue to mitigate against COVID19. The last day or two has been really promising.

n_touch
How do they have time to work on the schedule while investigating the Red Sox?
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I think the MLB folks are working tirelessly on scheduling right now w/ a lot of different scenarios in play. Ideally, if they could get rolling in mid to late June w/ no crowds and other restrictions and then ease back into the normal way of life with the rest of the world they will get a decent amount of the season in. It would likely trickle through November. I think it would be awesome to have playoffs or a World Series during Thanksgiving! Then at the same time college and pro football? Sign me up.

Saying all that though, it is entirely dependent on how we as a country continue to mitigate against COVID19. The last day or two has been really promising.

They have?
Farmer1906
AG
n_touch said:

If my options are Red Sox get off with no punishment and no more investigations are done, but we play this season or Red Sox get hammered, along with a few others across the league, but we don't play this season - I am 100% picking option 1.
JABQ04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

n_touch said:

If my options are Red Sox get off with no punishment and no more investigations are done, but we play this season or Red Sox get hammered, along with a few others across the league, but we don't play this season - I am 100% picking option 1.

Why not both?
Mr.Bond
AG
Wasnt it up until a few years ago some old couple made the MLB schedule every year?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

07ag
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Wasnt it up until a few years ago some old couple made the MLB schedule every year?
1981-2004 https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1936328
https://ts.la/eric59704
Mr.Bond
AG
Just insane to think about
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

They have?
I don't want to turn this thread into a COVID19 discussion, even though it is having an effect on the season starting, but the comments from Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci the last couple days seem to indicate the mitigation efforts are working. IF the nation as a whole continues to buckle down for the month of April it sounds like its going to make all the difference. Still a little early to tell, but it sounded very promising to hear that for the first time.
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

They have?
I don't want to turn this thread into a COVID19 discussion, even though it is having an effect on the season starting, but the comments from Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci the last couple days seem to indicate the mitigation efforts are working. IF the nation as a whole continues to buckle down for the month of April it sounds like its going to make all the difference. Still a little early to tell, but it sounded very promising to hear that for the first time.
It all kind of blurs together. I am not trying to spin it one way or anything or get political. The latest I saw was the predictions of 100-240k dying from covid19. I guess when you say it is not going to be millions its good news, but as a whole, that seems terrifying. With the death count up to only 4k, another 96k over the next several weeks (months) makes it hard to believe a season will happen.
CFTXAG10
AG
I hear ya man, and I will be the first to admit I am leaning on the optimistic side
Ag_07
AG
I think an issue to playing is how long are they OK with the WS going?

If the WS goes into the end of NOV then that shortens the offseason and now you're jeopardizing the start of next year's ST.

Not to mention owner meetings, winter meetings, and all the other offseason stuff.
Farmer1906
AG
Good point. This may have a 2-year impact. If we can get in a shortened season and play the WS in Dec. Psh spring training out and maybe play another shortened (~142).
tjack16
AG
I'm hoping Brantley and Springer sign at least a 1 year extension.

I can't imagine the 2021 offseason will be good for free agents since there is potentially an insane loss of revenue by each team.
Ag_07
AG
I think if that's the case then they could just shorten 2021 ST and still get a full season in.

But yeah that's my fear is that this affects 2 seasons.
Ag_07
AG
So since there's no Stros, no MLB, and no sports period I figured I'd pass this along for any of you guys needing to pass the time.

I stumbled on an Atlanta Braves podcast that just had Evan Gattis on to discuss his career path and his journey coming back from mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse, and homelessness. I had no idea he signed with A&M out of HS!

It's a great chat and Gattis talks very candidly and explicitly (even getting emotional at times). I'm only about 1/2 way through it but it's just a damn good listen.

I love El Oso and so glad I got to see him play and even more glad he was able to get himself a ring here. One of the good guys in the sport for sure.

The podcast is called 755 Is Real and it's available on Spotify and Apple PodCasts.

I just finished it and like I said it's damn good. It stops just as they get into his time here but there will be a Part 2 that he gets into his time in Houston. Should be interesting what he says about 2017.

They specifically talk about him hitting high FBs and this play is recalled specifically.

gougler08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

They have?
It all kind of blurs together. I am not trying to spin it one way or anything or get political. The latest I saw was the predictions of 100-240k dying from covid19. I guess when you say it is not going to be millions its good news, but as a whole, that seems terrifying. With the death count up to only 4k, another 96k over the next several weeks (months) makes it hard to believe a season will happen.
The flu+pneumonia kill almost 100k a year in the US...if we could hit the low end on this thing I think that'd be a huge success, especially if we have reduced the cases/day coming out of April

I doubt they'd play a season with crowds, but baseball is already a pretty "social distanced" sport compared to others and I could see them playing a shortened season
dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
gougler08 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

They have?
The flu+pneumonia kill almost 100k a year in the US...if we could hit the low end on this thing I think that'd be a huge success, especially if we have reduced the cases/day coming out of April

I doubt they'd play a season with crowds, but baseball is already a pretty "social distanced" sport compared to others and I could see them playing a shortened season
The difference we live normally and it kills 100k (is that # accurate?). With lockdowns, social distancing, etc this could still top 200k. Without it it may be millions.
gougler08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

gougler08 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

They have?

The difference we live normally and it kills 100k (is that # accurate?). With lockdowns, social distancing, etc this could still top 200k. Without it it may be millions.
I pulled the data from CDC for US (flu ranged from 30-70k and pneumonia seemed to always be around 40-50k) so I think the number is close enough. Agree that this is way worse and we've had to do extreme measures to curb it, but it does seem like they are working and should peak in a couple weeks before we can start to return to some normalcy (hopefully including baseball)
Farmer1906
AG
gougler08 said:

Farmer1906 said:

gougler08 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

They have?

I pulled the data from CDC for US (flu ranged from 30-70k and pneumonia seemed to always be around 40-50k) so I think the number is close enough. Agree that this is way worse and we've had to do extreme measures to curb it, but it does seem like they are working and should peak in a couple weeks before we can start to return to some normalcy (hopefully including baseball)
That all we want!
Gramercy Riffs
AG
nm
agdaddy04
AG
Obviously not a great outcome, but game 2 of 05 WS on right now - mlbn
dshedd41
S
Astros vs. Rangers playback is going to start here in a few on ATT Sportsnet
Gig’em Aggies!
agdaddy04
AG
Don't know how I forgot this was Wily T's rookie year. He had a good World Series.
Exsurge Domine
any of you guys play OOTP 21 baseball on steam? Great way to pass the time without baseball.
Ag_07
AG
Can you guys refresh my memory...Why is this game with the Rangers a classic reair?
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

Can you guys refresh my memory...Why is this game with the Rangers a classic reair?

Is it this game?
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

Ag_07 said:

Is it this game?

Wow that lineup is so bad
Ag_07
AG
Damn...Not sure I'd rewatch that even knowing the outcome.

No. It's last year's game in Arlington just after the opening series in Tampa. IIRC we're 1-3 coming off the rough start to the season.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

gougler08 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

They have?

No it is not accurate... the average flu deaths since 2010 is 37,000. One of those years was 51k another was 61k which is going to skew the average up. Not to mention many pneumonia cases are caused by....the flu. So claiming 100k die from those annually is idiotic and trying to falsify data.
Ag_07
AG
GD we need baseball back
tjack16
AG
The Open has been canceled .... it's in mid July.

That does not bode well
spadilly
S
AJ Hinch, Jeff Luhnow suspensions fulfilled in 2020 even if season canceled

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28985240/aj-hinch-jeff-luhnow-suspensions-fulfilled-2020-even-season-canceled

Quote:

Former Houston Astros manager AJ Hinch and ex-Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow will fulfill their one-season suspensions for the team's sign-stealing scandal even if no baseball is played in 2020, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney on Thursday.

Sources told Olney that, because the suspensions are tied to the end of the 2020 postseason rather than a specific number of games, MLB will view Luhnow and Hinch as having served their discipline this year no matter what.
First Page Last Page
Page 198 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.