*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,081 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So if there is no season, the Dodgers could lose Betts without him ever playing a game for them. That's hilarious.
spadilly
S
dshedd41 said:

Jimmy Wynn was like "no opening day, okay guess it's time to go"
spadilly
S
mathguy86 said:

So if there is no season, the Dodgers could lose Betts without him ever playing a game for them. That's hilarious.

You'd hate to see it.
Farmer1906
AG

This could be a blessing. The 2021 draft could be stacked and push more good players outside of the top 2 rounds. Plus this year we can try and load up on 20k players.
mazag08
AG
So if no 2020 season, do Luhnow and Hinch not even miss a game?
CoachRTM
AG
Regardless of the scenario, I trust Lunhow to take full advantage of the situation.

Oh wait.....
W
AG
very sad news about Jimmy Wynn.

he was one of the guys that put the "tape" in tape-measure home runs. Not in the all-time top 10 in number of home runs...but average distance? He might be
W
AG
I think that way too. Very short draft is good for the 'stros
W
AG
astros4545 said:

W said:

it is interesting looking at the Astros' schedule...and thinking about what would be the most favorable start date for the team.

if June 1st is the date...then the 'stros 2020 fate will primarily be determined against the AL Central, NL East, and the Rangers.

most of the games vs. the AL East would be cancelled including all games vs. the Rays and Red Sox. Plus one series vs. the Yankees and one vs. the BlueJays. (however both series vs. the Orioles would be played)

10 games vs. the Angels would be lost and another 10 games vs. the A's. But only 3 vs. the Rangers

That is remarkably in our favor and I would be very pissed if I was another team competing against us if something wasn't done to balance schedules a little
I think it's very favorable too. And if the plan to add doubleheaders goes thru...the Astros might play the Rangers 20 times in the shortened season. Might get 8 or 9 games vs. the Orioles. And 13 or 14 vs. the Mariners
tjack16
AG

CFTXAG10
AG
Thats fine with me. No fans to start would be kind of strange, but seems like it might benefit our guys this year. Plus it would get some sports on TV finally.
Marvin
AG
tjholley16 said:

Milwaukee has a retractable roof... but the general point holds.
tjack16
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Thats fine with me. No fans to start would be kind of strange, but seems like it might benefit our guys this year. Plus it would get some sports on TV finally.

At this point I just want a season. So I'll take what I can get as well
Mathguy64
AG
Because the roof in Milwaukee can't keep out the cold and snow.
Marvin
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Indeed. Consider how this could potentially flow:
  • Pitching benefit- less mileage to our best arms (Verlander/Grienke age, McCullers recovery, Urquidy workload)
  • Schedule imbalance- if they just chop off the early games and don't reschedule, woohoo
  • Lack of attendance- less exposure to heckling
  • Neutral site WS- great road record past several seasons
  • Shorter season- less injury risk for Correa and Springer

I've pretty much convinced myself that the Astros will win the trophy if there is a 2020 season. Make it happen!
Farmer1906
AG
I just wanted to share a tradition I started with my daughters a few years ago. On opening day in 2017 we took a picture decked out in Astros gear in front of our fireplace. I make it my profile pic on Facebook and then didn't touch it for a year. Clearly, it worked so I did it again. We fell short in 18 and 19, but I kept doing it anyway. Yesterday, was year 4 for us. It's so fun looking back each year to see how everyone changes. The shirts get passed down and next season my son will join the pic (due in Aug).
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I just wanted to share a tradition I started with my daughters a few years ago. On opening day in 2017 we took a picture decked out in Astros gear in front of our fireplace. I make it my profile pic on Facebook and then didn't touch it for a year. Clearly, it worked so I did it again. We fell short in 18 and 19, but I kept doing it anyway. Yesterday, was year 4 for us. It's so fun looking back each year to see how everyone changes. The shirts get passed down and next season my son will join the pic (due in Aug).

Great tradition!
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

CFTXAG10 said:

• Pitching benefit- less mileage to our best arms (Verlander/Grienke age, McCullers recovery, Urquidy workload)
  • Schedule imbalance- if they just chop off the early games and don't reschedule, woohoo

I've pretty much convinced myself that the Astros will win the trophy if there is a 2020 season. Make it happen!
The Neutral WS site doesn't make sense to me. Baseball is such a regional sport. That is why all the money is in the local stations. The nationally broadcast games don't do anything special ratings-wise.

If they were to hold it in Houston and the game was between NY & LA, how much would you spend to go to a game? Would you even care to go? 1 game? Multiple games? For me, I would go if I could get a ticket for $100, not the $700 I spent to sit at the top of the stadium for game 2 last year. My interest wouldn't compare... at all.
Ag_07
AG
mathguy86 said:

Because the roof in Milwaukee can't keep out the cold and snow.

Well ours can't keep out the rain so...
Deluxe
AG
tjholley16 said:

Weird to think George may have already played his last game as an Astro
tjack16
AG
I'd go to a neutral site playoff game at MMP.... but probably not WS unless tickets were cheap.
CoachRTM
AG
Quote:

Shorter season- less injury risk for Correa and Springer

The increase in doubleheaders that they're talking about make me question whether it's a good thing or bad thing for the players' health.

The good news is I imagine the rosters will expand by a handful of spots, so there would be rest plans for most doubleheader's.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

CFTXAG10 said:

The Neutral WS site doesn't make sense to me. Baseball is such a regional sport. That is why all the money is in the local stations. The nationally broadcast games don't do anything special ratings-wise.

If they were to hold it in Houston and the game was between NY & LA, how much would you spend to go to a game? Would you even care to go? 1 game? Multiple games? For me, I would go if I could get a ticket for $100, not the $700 I spent to sit at the top of the stadium for game 2 last year. My interest wouldn't compare... at all.

I doubt there is a snowball's chance in hell that baseball would "award" Houston a neutral site WS after this past off-season. Mimic Maid would get it way before MM. That said, I believe the Astros will be playing so it's a moot point!!!
Marvin
AG
CoachRTM said:

Quote:

Shorter season- less injury risk for Correa and Springer

The increase in doubleheaders that they're talking about make me question whether it's a good thing or bad thing for the players' health.

The good news is I imagine the rosters will expand by a handful of spots, so there would be rest plans for most doubleheader's.

Agreed, I doubt those guys would be playing in many second games.

Follow up: DH, maybe, but I'd be surprised if they played in the field both games.
CoachRTM
AG
I also wonder if the increased double headers and less rest days will lead to 6 man rotations (or more?) and/or lots of "opener" situations.
Mathguy64
AG
I would go to a neutral team WS game at MMP just to bang the ever loving **** out of a trashcan.
CFTXAG10
AG
Yea I wouldn't like that if the Astros were in it and couldn't play at home. I say just let the team decide. If its possible to play at home then do it there, no choice. If the team cannot play at home due to weather concerns then have a nearby backup stadium that is indoors.
Deluxe
AG
mathguy86 said:

I would go to a neutral team WS game at MMP just to bang the ever loving **** out of a trashcan.
Correct
Farmer1906
AG
. . .
Ag_07
AG
So what's the reasoning of a 5 round draft? Is it because of not having a spring eval period?

Just not seeing why the push for a 5 round draft.
spadilly
S
dshedd41
S
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28962850/mlb-mlbpa-agree-stipulations-return-2020-season
Gig’em Aggies!
Marvin
AG
dshedd41 said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28962850/mlb-mlbpa-agree-stipulations-return-2020-season

If those conditions are hard set, I doubt we have baseball this year.
agdaddy04
AG
Wow, draft picks this year get hosed with the bonus money?

Pretty wild on the drug suspensions not carrying over if there's no season. mlbpa must've had all the negotiating power?
First Page Last Page
Page 195 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.