*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,707 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

tjholley16 said:

Do they honestly need to complete spring training? I'd rather play those two weeks regular season

I would be very concerned about arms not being stretched out.

Can't they play first two weeks of regular season with a 28 man roster to account for that

Real sports as soon as possible should be a priority
k20dub
AG
astros4545 said:

mathguy86 said:

tjholley16 said:

Do they honestly need to complete spring training? I'd rather play those two weeks regular season

I would be very concerned about arms not being stretched out.

Can't they play first two weeks of regular season with a 28 man roster to account for that

Real sports as soon as possible should be a priority

Avoiding injury due to lack of preparation should be a priority.
. . .
CFTXAG10
AG
Awesome! Now give the man a damn extension!
dshedd41
S
Going to watch this until the season starts
Gig’em Aggies!
amercer
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28901976/reds-trevor-bauer-david-carpenter-organizing-sandlot-game-arizona

I think a couple guys should go....
bearkatag15
AG

Looks like Trevor Bauer's sandlot game is tonight

Arizona doesn't do daylight savings so this starts at 9pm CT
n_touch
This will last about as long as one of them getting hurt and being told to shut it down
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
They doing some BP right now waiting for more players to show up.
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1djGXQwpbVRJZ

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I want Bauer on our team.

Man I've been holding that in for so long and it feels good to let it out.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Big Al 1992
AG
Well that puts opening day June 1 after a 2 week spring training. Maybe.

Exsurge Domine
Big Al 1992 said:

We could start the season on time we'd just have to find someone to play the Marlins
tjack16
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

100 game season at best
mAgnoliAg
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Damn. Anybody want 6 tickets for the rangers game April 10
n_touch
mAgnoliAg said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Damn. Anybody want 6 tickets for the rangers game April 10
the last of the bohemians
We probably have to accept that MLB will not happen this year.
CFTXAG10
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

We probably have to accept that MLB will not happen this year.

I would assume MLB is looking into a lot of options. Maybe ease back into regularity. If the tests become more widely available they could test players in advance of games and then play with limited or no fans until further notice. Only thing is the lost revenue from ticket sales and concessions might hurt quite a bit.

But other things like TV Advertisements might sky rocket in value. I am sure they are going to explore all avenues, and are trying to avoid a full season cancellation as much as possible.

Marvin
AG
Just supposing a full cancellation is going to happen... because we have nothing else to discuss... do current contracts extend a year? I'm trying to equate this to the Astros current talent window. Obviously our guys will be a year older, mainly Verlander and Greinke. But what about Brantley, wasn't he wrapping up a two-year deal this season?

On the other hand, I like the idea of a shortened season. Maybe Verlander and others would be full steam for the playoffs.
tjack16
AG
What would really suck about this season if it was lost is that guys like Springer and Brantley would be free agents.
n_touch
tjholley16 said:

What would really suck about this season if it was lost is that guys like Springer and Brantley would be free agents.
Would this year count against their contracts or would it be like it never happened?
redline248
AG
n_touch said:

tjholley16 said:

Would this year count against their contracts or would it be like it never happened?

Almost certain that it counts, I imagine similar to if a player misses a full year with injury. Now that I type that, was McCullers' 2019 counted as a year off the contract?

Either way, I'm sure the players' union would fight against a redo
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

n_touch said:

tjholley16 said:

Almost certain that it counts, I imagine similar to if a player misses a full year with injury. Now that I type that, was McCullers' 2019 counted as a year off the contract?

Exactly. It's not like college where you can give them an extra year.... these guys get paid regardless.

My hope is that we try to reach an extension with both of them either way, but especially now that everything has halted it seems like a good time to try.
CFTXAG10
AG
Marvin
AG
tjholley16 said:

By a broader view, our window of elite competitiveness just took a severe hit. That sucks more.

Now, a 100 game season would be a huge benefit to the Astros- Verlander in the 2020 playoffs with 80 fewer innings on his arm? Correa with less chance for injury? McCullers with more recovery time? The team facing less exposure to visiting stadium hatred? Yes, please! I'd wager today that the Astros would benefit more than any other team.
TRM
AG
tjholley16 said:

redline248 said:

n_touch said:

tjholley16 said:

Exactly. It's not like college where you can give them an extra year.... these guys get paid regardless.

My hope is that we try to reach an extension with both of them either way, but especially now that everything has halted it seems like a good time to try.

With the lack of revenue this year, I think we're going to see a downturn in free agency salaries, so if you're a player its better to extend now rather than later.
Mathguy64
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Well with no games, Manfred has lots of free time on his hands to polish all the details in the BoSox cheating report.
Big Al 1992
AG
Players will get their normal salary (or course no one will get any of their performance incentives)? Minor leaguers gonna have to find second jobs? Owner and teams won't have the money to pay anymore 200-300 million 5 year contracts after a year of lost ticket and TV revenue?
CFTXAG10
AG
W
AG
one data point...the 1981 season was played with only 110 games per team.

if MLB can get started by June 1st...should still be able to get in 100 games
tjack16
AG
I'd be fine with an 81 game season (no all star break)

At this point, anything is better than no season
dshedd41
S
Going to be awhile......
Gig’em Aggies!
W
AG
the teams with bad contracts to old players...like the Angels to Pujols...will be very glad to count 2020 as a year of the deal. Same for the Yankees & Stanton
First Page Last Page
Page 190 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.