*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,324 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Opening day lineup

Edit: except no Altuve
tjack16
AG
Put in altuve and that might be the starting lineup for most of the season

I'd switch Correa and Gurriel though
Mathguy64
AG
Can we hire AJ as a handwriting advisor?
Deluxe
AG
Aggie95 said:

So Trevor Bauer goes out and tells the Dodger batters what is coming. He signals with his glove. His line today:

3.0 IP
2 hits
0 runs
2 k's

which reporter is gonna ask him..."so, is sign stealing really that big of a deal"?

Haha it seems like his dumbass attempt to troll the Astros and show how easy it is to hit when you know what's coming backfired.
bearkatag15
AG

Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Frazier - 108 wRC+ (80% of the time facing righties - won't get that luxury)
Tauchman - 128 wRC+ (he had a huge boost moving away from Colorado... what? Guess the signs helped that much)
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Frazier - 108 wRC+ (80% of the time facing righties - won't get that luxury)
Tauchman - 128 wRC+ (he had a huge boost moving away from Colorado... what? Guess the signs helped that much)

Mike Tauchman leaves Colorado, goes to work with Carlos Beltran and sees a huge boost in his offensive production. Nothing to see here.
redline248
AG
Yordan scratched with sore knees. This worries me. He's a young dude and already has bad knees?

I know, I know...spring precautions. But this isn't the first time Dusty has talked about Yordan's knees in his short tenure.

Ag_07
AG
Also had knee issues last year.
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

Also had knee issues last year.

Yep, but last year I just thought it was the result of taking a foul off his knee during an AB. This all seems more chronic, now
Marvin
AG
I watched Alvarez roam left field in batting practice on two separate occasions last week. He mostly stood, but would often track down a liner or fly that came his way. He also retrieved every ball sent that way and threw it in to the second base collection bucket. I guess he was testing his knees?
bearkatag15
AG
JV is a bit shakey in the 2nd inning.

Single
Fly out
Walk
Correa throwing error leads to a run
Ground rule double scores another run
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Bad start for JV continues... gives up solo bomb to Goldy

tjack16
AG
I'm always skeptical of looking into spring training stats for pitchers. Most of the time they use starts in spring to work on certain pitches or mechanics and don't really care about if they give up a homerun.

Im just glad to see him still hitting 96-97
Farmer1906
AG
tjholley16 said:

I'm always skeptical of looking into spring training stats for pitchers. Most of the time they use starts in spring to work on certain pitches or mechanics and don't really care about if they give up a homerun.

Be skeptical about hitting stats too.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjholley16 said:

I don't put much stock into any spring training stats ... it's like NFL preseason. It's great for the guys in the minors to get a look but that's about it
Ag_07
AG
Not as bad as you think.

53 pitches 35 strikes

Radio guys noting the Goldy HR was a fluke wind aided HR that wouldn't have been on a normal day. Ball seems to be flying pretty easily today.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjholley16 said:

So you're saying the Astros shouldn't have gone all-in on Mark McLemore as our starting second baseman in 1991 when he hit .443 in spring training and then .148 in the regular season?
Thinice
Ag_07
AG
So with all the talk about Yordan and his knees I still wonder why they haven't made an attempt to get him acclimated at 1B.

That would give him a spot that's not so hard on his knees and would be more valuable to the team if (yes if) Correa goes down and Yuli needs to slide to 3B.
Mathguy64
AG
Meh. The least amount of strain on his knees is when hes sitting on the bench every half inning we are in the field. With what looks like the DH going full time on both leagues I don't see any reason to make him something he's not.
agproducer
AG
RE: JV

He was probably working on some stuff and trying a few things out. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Marvin
AG
Our bats have definitely not set Florida on fire to start this spring. They'll knock the rust off soon, no doubt.

I'm starting to take note of Tucker, though. He is 0-15 so far with numerous routine fly balls and even more ground outs to second base. The April roster has 11 position spots already locked and- assuming 13 pitchers and 13 fielders- the last two will be chosen from Straw, Tucker, maybe Toro or a third catcher. I'd be surprised if Tucker is sent back to Round Rock no matter his spring results, but he could use a hard hit or two sometime soon. He doesn't have a whole lot of been-there-done-that credibility to which he can point.

Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Our bats have definitely not set Florida on fire to start this spring. They'll knock the rust off soon, no doubt.

I'm starting to take note of Tucker, though. He is 0-15 so far with numerous routine fly balls and even more ground outs to second base. The April roster has 11 position spots already locked and- assuming 13 pitchers and 13 fielders- the last two will be chosen from Straw, Tucker, maybe Toro or a third catcher. I'd be surprised if Tucker is sent back to Round Rock no matter his spring results, but he could use a hard hit or two sometime soon. He doesn't have a whole lot of been-there-done-that credibility to which he can point.

2018 & 19 Spring Training Stats: 73 ABs, 1.056 OPS

A couple posts above:

Quote:

I don't put much stock into any spring training stats
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

2018 & 19 Spring Training Stats: 73 ABs, 1.056 OPS

A couple posts above:

Quote:

I don't put much stock into any spring training stats

Knew I'd trigger you with that comment, haha. I still say he would do well to start hitting the ball harder, regardless the outcome. I didn't see any loud contact last week.
. . .
cap-n-jack
So they've got 23 days to get something laid down and grown in?
03_Aggie
Guess that explains why it looked so bad this past weekend.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
A tournament like that is always going to do major damage to a high quality field.

A field designed for 1 game a day/every few days isn't going hold up to 3-4 a day
03_Aggie
Maybe. But the outfield was in pretty bad shape and that included a lot of areas that wouldn't see a lot of traffic even with that many games.
Ag_07
AG
Damn Yellich about to get a $200MM deal.

First Harper, then Trout, and now Yellich driving George's price way up.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Difference is, George has 3 years minimum on all those guys listed
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Ag_07 said:

Difference is, George has 3 years minimum on all those guys listed

And he's not nearly as good as Trout or Yelich
Wabs
AG
Arod apparently out there criticizing the Astros for not being remorseful. You know what, how about you EAMFD asswipe.
First Page Last Page
Page 181 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.