*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,950 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

You really hate to see that
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
wangus12
AG
astros4545 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Fun fact about Kyle. His nickname in Walton was "**** Waffle"
RO519
AG
bearkatag15 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

You really hate to see that
Just a cryin' shame
Mathguy64
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

All that money for a walking muscle strain that never plays. He should lay off the juice.
CoachRTM
AG
Ag_07 said:

And we got him by trading a scrub (Tyler White)

That was a pretty fun time on this thread.

We literally traded Tyler White for A Scrubb.

bearkat was devastated.
dixichkn
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Damn shame. He'd have hit 80 HR this year, if only......
Ag_07
AG
Did Stanton miss anywhere near this amount of time in MIA?

Seems like it came up as soon as he put on the pinstripes.
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

Did Stanton miss anywhere near this amount of time in MIA?

Seems like it came up as soon as he put on the pinstripes.
I don't know the answer to your question, but I will say that a large chunk of cash from a new contract can take the place of motivation. Whether that's motivation to train and stay in shape, or motivation to play through pain...
Ag_07
AG
IIRC He didn't get that monster contract with NY. He had that money in MIA.

I think he just doesn't like playing under the big bright lights with the added pressure.
Mathguy64
AG
IIRC he took a golden sombrero really early in his NY tenure and the crowd booed him pretty bad.
bearkatag15
AG
Straw's inside the park HR video

Straws other HR

bearkatag15
AG
Bregman's HR

Bregman also getting HBP
Pahdz
He's not really liked by Yankee fans at all
MosesHallRAB04
AG
The crappy part about the HBPs they'll take is the pitchers won't be able to retaliate. Teams will hit them with impunity.

Opposing teams will hit someone and umps will immediately issue warnings so any Astro who hits someone gets tossed and probably suspended/fined.
BullSprig07
AG
Wear extra armor and take the free bases
Harry Dunne
Deluxe said:

LonghornDub said:

Soriano lost for the season and will still cost the Yankees $40m. Whitley looked good to me today. Astros in a mental frame of "us against the world". I love spring and really look forward to the season.
I didn't get to see Whitley throw today but looks like he gave up 3 ER in 1.2 innings and only 1 strike out. Did he have some bad luck mixed in?
He looked good with the bases empty, pitched a clean inning & got the first out in the 5th but gave up an infield single and then had location issues out of the stretch.

To be fair, a couple of those runs crossed the plate after Scrubb relieved him (username checked out).
Marvin
AG
Headed back to the ballpark tomorrow afternoon after spending the day in Orlando. Looking forward to a little Astros after dark, spring training style. I'll see if I can get Biagini to sign Verlander's name to something, haha.
Beat40
I've been in a training all week this week that ended today. I'll finally get to listen to my first Astros work radio broadcast of 2020 tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
k20dub
AG
the last of the bohemians
Probably not a good idea to give extra free bases to this lineup.
Ag_07
AG
Completely misleading. Not every HBP is intentional.

Some of the guys already hit weren't on the 2017 team, won't be on this team, and we're hit by guys vying for roster spots on other teams.
MaxPower
Yeah I have no clue what typical hpb numbers are in spring training but I have to believe it's higher than regular season.
JohnnyTexAg1995
Also this was the inning Hernandez decided to screw our pitchers, and Strom got tossed telling him he was a moron! Forrest looked good and seemed to be throwing freely!
JCA1
AG
Ag_07 said:

Some of the guys already hit weren't on the 2017 team, won't be on this team, and we're hit by guys vying for roster spots on other teams.

Where did anyone mention intent? And why does that matter? HBP is HBP. Are you suggesting it doesn't count as a HBP if deemed unintentional?

He quoted a stat for most HBPs in a season and then extrapolated what the Astros season numbers would be if they continue at this pace. Now, I agree that some were likely unintentional and highly doubt this pace will keep up for long. But the numbers are the numbers.
Ag_07
AG
I mention intent because it's being spun on social media that 'Look the Astros are getting what they deserve' when I don't think just those numbers indicate that.

Plus I think extrapolating an entire season using 4 games is a case of making the numbers fit your narrative.

Think of it this way...Without this scandal would people being going crazy about how much we're getting hit?
AgsMyDude
AG

Where does one get this hat?
MaxPower
The interweb?
JABQ04
AG
See plenty at Lids or whatever hat store is at my local mall.
Cen-Tex
AG
https://www.mlbshop.com/houston-astros/t-14553163+z-871253-930065732
Panama Red
AG
JCA1 said:

Ag_07 said:

Where did anyone mention intent? And why does that matter? HBP is HBP. Are you suggesting it doesn't count as a HBP if deemed unintentional?

He quoted a stat for most HBPs in a season and then extrapolated what the Astros season numbers would be if they continue at this pace. Now, I agree that some were likely unintentional and highly doubt this pace will keep up for long. But the numbers are the numbers.
And Tigers have been hit 6 times in 4 games. What does that extrapolate out to? Why no tweet on that?

It "matters" because as the other poster said its someone pushing a false narrative.
Charlie Conway
yeah it's like you haven't even tried to look for one
Ag_07
AG
Using the same logic and extrapolation Myles Straw is projected to hit 97 HRs this season.
wangus12
AG
Ag_07 said:

Using the same logic and extrapolation Myles Straw is projected to hit 97 HRs this season.
Yeah well Stanton would hit 100
n_touch
wangus12 said:

Ag_07 said:

Yeah well Stanton would hit 100
He still in the league? Haven't seen much of him
Charlie Conway
First Page Last Page
Page 176 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.