*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,085 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a little bummed Altuve's streak of SS ended. 5 in a row is crazy.
the last of the bohemians
In the corporate world, succession plans = culture change, so yes expect to see a lot of mid and lower level personnel leave over the next year ....hopefully whoever the true innovator is of Astroball is not one of them
JYDog90
AG
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bleacher-blums/id1442621474#episodeGuid=e4b7dba0c9954916b2a876b82b5dd220
Formerly Willy Wonka
AustinCountyAg
A close friend of mine has dealt with Jared Crane quite a bit over the past several years in the energy sector and has nothing but positive things to say about him. Everything I've heard about the guy makes me have full trust in him (for now). The stories I've heard about Jared are very similar to the stories that get tossed around about Jim
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I thought they ran a logistics company?
Texaggie7nine
Shipping and storing logistics for energy companies is a large portion of their business.
7nine
JYDog90
AG
Spray chart for every AL Silver Slugger

Formerly Willy Wonka
agsquirrel97
AG
First impression, Bregman has got to stop pulling the ball.

2nd impression, what a crappy HR by Betts, he should be embarrassed hitting that slice 280 feet. Seriously, move your foul pole Fenway!!
In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vin****.
Deluxe
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

A close friend of mine has dealt with Jared Crane quite a bit over the past several years in the energy sector and has nothing but positive things to say about him. Everything I've heard about the guy makes me have full trust in him (for now). The stories I've heard about Jared are very similar to the stories that get tossed around about Jim

Thanks. If he runs the team like his Dad (lets Luhnow make the baseball decisions, writes the checks, and poses with the trophies), I'm totally fine with this.
Farmer1906
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

2nd impression, what a crappy HR by Betts, he should be embarrassed hitting that slice 280 feet. Seriously, move your foul pole Fenway!!

He's got to stop? Clearly it's working. He won the asS and will finish top 3 in the MVP.
agsquirrel97
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agsquirrel97 said:

He's got to stop? Clearly it's working. He won the asS and will finish top 3 in the MVP.

Fair enough, I should have said stop trying to pull every ball. Even he was really frustrated earlier in the season when everything was a homer or an out. He was very different as a straight pull hitter this than over years past.

Hell, look at 2017-2018 Reddick versus April - June 2019 Reddick. Guy was hitting to all fields early this year and over 300 while Bregman was at .230 and mental.

In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vin****.
Philip J Fry
AG
I prefer Bregman getting doubles/clutch hits to homers. I can't remember him ever hitting away this season.
Deluxe
AG
https://www.mlb.com/phillies/news/cole-hamels-open-to-return-to-phillies

Looks like Cole Hamels open to a 1 year deal with a win-now club. That article is from the Phillies perspective but could probably apply to alot of teams. I wonder how we'd feel about him as our #4 starter next year behind JV, Greinke and LMJ?

A 1 year, $7-9 million deal would be pretty team friendly relative to his projected output. His 4.09 FIP last year wasn't anything to write home about, but he spent half the season in Arlington. When he got to Chicago, his FIP lowered to 3.42. So it seems like there's still gas in the tank. And maybe our pitching brain trust can squeeze a little more out of him.
Ag_07
AG
Philip J Fry said:

I prefer Bregman getting doubles/clutch hits to homers. I can't remember him ever hitting away this season.

Because I don't think that's what he does.

His hands are so quick and his swing is so compact he's able to stand on top of the plate and hammer pitches middle-in (pull pitches). Think that's where most his power is.

I wouldn't consider Bregman a big gap to gap guy like Springer and Yuli.
bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe said:

Looks like Cole Hamels open to a 1 year deal with a win-now club. That article is from the Phillies perspective but could probably apply to alot of teams. I wonder how we'd feel about him as our #4 starter next year behind JV, Greinke and LMJ?

A 1 year, $7-9 million deal would be pretty team friendly relative to his projected output. His 4.09 FIP last year wasn't anything to write home about, but he spent half the season in Arlington. When he got to Chicago, his FIP lowered to 3.42. So it seems like there's still gas in the tank. And maybe our pitching brain trust can squeeze a little more out of him.
Wasn't Houston on his no trade list back when he was traded to Arlington?
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Deluxe said:

Wasn't Houston on his no trade list back when he was traded to Arlington?
Yea I was just reading about that. That was back in 2015 so maybe he feels differently now that we're a juggernaut, but it's possible there's something about Houston that he's not interested in. Either way, may be worth a phone call.
Ag_07
AG
Yep and he I think I remember him throwing some jabs at Houston and saying he didn't want to play here.

I would sign him but I'd make him get on his knees and beg and issue a public apology.
Deluxe
AG
This article says Hamels probably would have accepted the deal to Houston if he his contract term had been shorter at the time (2015):

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/cole-hamels-texas-rangers-houston-astros-no-trade-clause-aj-hinch-080415

Quote:

"It was probably one of the tougher decisions because I know they're a great team and I know they're going to go out and win. I have the utmost respect for A.J. (Hinch). I played with him when I was very young. I've seen what they've done and I think they've done great things. I have a four-year contract still."

That four-year contract, Hamels maintains, was a big part of the decision to accept a trade to the Rangers but not the Astros: "So if it was a different situation where I had a year left or a year and a half I probably would have gone. But because it is more of a longer term I had to weigh those sorts of variables for those nine teams that I had on the list. I didn't want to budge from that."
To me, that insinuates he'd be open to a 1 year deal with us right now.
KC_Ag14
AG
Ag_07 said:

Philip J Fry said:

Because I don't think that's what he does.

His hands are so quick and his swing is so compact he's able to stand on top of the plate and hammer pitches middle-in (pull pitches). Think that's where most his power is.

I wouldn't consider Bregman a big gap to gap guy like Springer and Yuli.
This is the correct response/answer/retort. It's about doing damage, regardless of what part of the park that is. Also plays half his games on a field that has a short porch in left.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

This article says Hamels probably would have accepted the deal to Houston if he his contract term had been shorter at the time (2015):

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/cole-hamels-texas-rangers-houston-astros-no-trade-clause-aj-hinch-080415

Quote:

"It was probably one of the tougher decisions because I know they're a great team and I know they're going to go out and win. I have the utmost respect for A.J. (Hinch). I played with him when I was very young. I've seen what they've done and I think they've done great things. I have a four-year contract still."

That four-year contract, Hamels maintains, was a big part of the decision to accept a trade to the Rangers but not the Astros: "So if it was a different situation where I had a year left or a year and a half I probably would have gone. But because it is more of a longer term I had to weigh those sorts of variables for those nine teams that I had on the list. I didn't want to budge from that."
To me, that insinuates he'd be open to a 1 year deal with us right now.

We have lost over 400 games from '11-'14. We played a strong 80-90 games (leading to the deadline in 2015) but from an outsider's perspective I understand why he didn't want to lock himself into this organization for 4 years. Now he clearly didn't have the pulse of what was coming and maybe even regrets not being apart of it. I highly doubt he has any ill will bout coming now if we make a strong offer.
Deluxe
AG
I think a 2020 opening week 2-4 of Greinke, LMJ and Hamels beats our 2019 opening week 2-4 of Cole, Miley and McHugh.
MelvinUdall
agsquirrel97 said:

Farmer1906 said:

agsquirrel97 said:

Fair enough, I should have said stop trying to pull every ball. Even he was really frustrated earlier in the season when everything was a homer or an out. He was very different as a straight pull hitter this than over years past.

Hell, look at 2017-2018 Reddick versus April - June 2019 Reddick. Guy was hitting to all fields early this year and over 300 while Bregman was at .230 and mental.

Given how close he is to the plate, don't expect him to NOT pull the ball.
Marvin
AG
Deluxe said:

I think a 2020 opening week 2-4 of Greinke, LMJ and Hamels beats our 2019 opening week 2-4 of Cole, Miley and McHugh.

Hamels pitching to Chirinos (if both signed) would give me really bad Ranger vibes.

TwoTimeAg
AG
Nolan Ryan is no longer an advisor and Reid has been demoted.
CFTXAG10
AG
Deluxe
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-plan-changes-at-Minute-Maid-on-suite-14274302.php

Quote:

The right field upgrades, which will result in the removal of some second deck seats, will include what Ryan described as premium food and bar service and a staircase that will include standing room space, similar to the center field area that was renovated in 2018.
512Ag
AG
Answered above. Never mind.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Germans are bombing....
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Have we ever seen renderings of what they have planned or just the Chron article?
AgDC
I haven't enjoyed myself the few times I've sat in those seats. It's the only section I've sat in on any level that felt removed from the game. I think making it more like what they've done in CF will help with that.
TASAG18
AG
Sat near there for Game 2 of ALDS this year and it was pretty warm and cramped up there. Good idea to make it a little more fan-friendly.
Frok
AG
Didn't realize they were going to chop out part of the upper deck for that. Seems like it will be ugly but we'll see.
Farmer1906
AG
Remove some of the worst seats in the house. Always a good idea.The upper decks need some fun areas like the lower ones.

The worst seats in Coors is the biggest party area. The rooftop.

bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Remove some of the worst seats in the house. Always a good idea.The upper decks need some fun areas like the lower ones.

The worst seats in Coors is the biggest party area. The rooftop.

Lots of parks do this. Fenway has the Budweiser Deck

Oakland has the Treehouse

I think its a great idea for MMP to do more of this.
Farmer1906
AG
Does this mean Yordan's orange chair only lasted a couple of months?
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.