*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,853 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or just remove all tech. Sign stealing by runners on base is fair game as usual. Don't allow teams to have access to any live video feeds. The only time a manager is allowed to have a video feed is if he is challenging.
MaxPower
To me the most absurd thing is that Manfred thought a memo was a sufficient way to address such a supposedly huge deal. Could you imagine the CEO of Wells Fargo hiding behind, "Well I sent a memo to a few VP's to knock out this fake account stuff"? If its a big deal he should have gotten out of his castle on the hill and done a roadshow talking to GM's, managers, players, etc. that this kind of stuff won't be tolerated. But do you know why he just sent a memo? Because he actually DOESN'T think its a big deal, he never did. He thought it was gamesmanship gone a little too far. It was only when public backlash came later that he retconned his original thoughts and decided it should be prosecuted like capital murder instead of petty theft. The players only agreed to even tell the truth because they also didn't think it was a huge deal. If they knew all that crap that would come later every one of them would have clammed up (as will any other player going forward and why Manfred has now lost the ability to figure out the extent). The problem going forward is because the investigation didn't include other teams we will never know about other systems that could still be in use today and the league has no clue it exists, moretheless how to combat it.
irish pete ag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We'd be better off not using signs. Then there is nothing to steal. Transit the info another way.
This. Put a freakin earpiece into the pitcher and catchers ear. Let Strom say "curveball." Pitcher can shake it off. Put a timer on it. Would also allow small tweaks to be told to the pitcher instantaneously instead of mound visits. Would speed up game as well. Put a time limit on how long the mic is on between pitches and penalize the pitcher a ball if he has to go beyond that.

This is just me spit balling on a forum. If they put some great minds in a room with this task, it would develop a great system that would benefit the MLB in multiple ways.

Hitters can still pick up when pitchers "tip," but sign stealing would be completely null.

This is like a high school putting all the kids in a high school in a building with a bunch of booze around and then getting mad and punishing kids for drinking. Just remove the damn alcohol. Don't allow the situation to develop.
safety guy
AG
It would be interesting to see if Beltran could be sued personally and required to testify under oath.
Texaggie7nine
Would make games a lot shorter, by no need to change up signs, and no mound visits.

The only thing would be, it would forever take away the scenario of a pitcher being on an island when he gets in a rut. He will always have his coach in his hear for encouragement.
7nine
Ag_07
AG
That's why you don't let them talk. Clicker can be operated from a pocket or out of view so it also eliminates the need to hide his mouth.

Pitching coach has a clicker that buzzes the pitcher and catcher.

1 click = FB etc etc

Pitcher shakes or nods off the buzzer.
HvilleAggie
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

We'd be better off not using signs. Then there is nothing to steal. Transit the info another way.
This. Put a freakin earpiece into the pitcher and catchers ear. Let Strom say "curveball." Pitcher can shake it off. Put a timer on it. Would also allow small tweaks to be told to the pitcher instantaneously instead of mound visits. Would speed up game as well. Put a time limit on how long the mic is on between pitches and penalize the pitcher a ball if he has to go beyond that.

This is just me spit balling on a forum. If they put some great minds in a room with this task, it would develop a great system that would benefit the MLB in multiple ways.

Hitters can still pick up when pitchers "tip," but sign stealing would be completely null.

This is like a high school putting all the kids in a high school in a building with a bunch of booze around and then getting mad and punishing kids for drinking. Just remove the damn alcohol. Don't allow the situation to develop.
I have a feeling that easy signal interception methods is a big reason we haven't done this already. I'm sure encryption is an option?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I would think you get people to talk now wit hthe threat of hammering them with a suspension. Tell them items you may already know and that with that info you will get X number game suspension....unless you open up to us and tell us what you know about other teams, other players and then you will receive the same immunity that the Astros received etc.

In the same regard you go to Beltran and say look, if you want to ever be mentioned in baseball again or have a chance at the Hall you spill everything you know about every team or we say you refused and you are Pete Rose 2.0
astros4545
AG

Anyone have access to baseball prospectus
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

You just need ear pieces in the catcher and pitchers ear. Let the pitching coach have the mic in the dugout.
What yall are ignoring is that this isnt high school baseball....the catcher calls the pitches not a coach. Hell many quality high school catchers call pitches
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Only thing you will occasionally see signaled in are defensive alignments and defensive plays... they arent signaling pitches in from the dug out.....because if they were that is where they would be deciphering the pitches from.
Deluxe
AG
irish pete ag06
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

You just need ear pieces in the catcher and pitchers ear. Let the pitching coach have the mic in the dugout.
What yall are ignoring is that this isnt high school baseball....the catcher calls the pitches not a coach. Hell many quality high school catchers call pitches
This is true... but that's something that could change. The pitching coach has big influence over this so let him be able to speak. Would decrease mound meetings as well.
n_touch
irish pete ag06 said:

cpsencik04 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

This is true... but that's something that could change. The pitching coach has big influence over this so let him be able to speak. Would decrease mound meetings as well.
Your devaluing the catcher position doing this. Have a smart catcher is a huge benefit.
Texaggie7nine
cpsencik04 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Many times in MLB the catcher looks over for signals on what to call. Plus they gameplan before so the catcher is really calling based off what was already put in place.
7nine
MaxPower
Once they got electronic strikezone it will be less critical for the catcher to give signs at all. He won't need to be in the perfect spot to catch and frame the pitch. Of course there's injury issues and needing to block balls, but I suppose that will be the strategy of it. Have the catcher call the games and risk other team picking off signs? or let the pitcher call his own game and tell the catcher good luck? At least with no men on it would seem feasible for the pitcher to call his own game where past balls aren't an issue, though I imagine the catchers will need to up their game in terms of equipment.
mAgnoliAg
AG
TX Dot freeway sign says "astros can't steal this sign"
dixichkn
AG
So the best ESPN could dredge up last night was Lucroy and some random little league in Pennsylvania?
Wow......losing their mojo. Must be at critical mass already. At its current trajectory we'll be hearing from one of the Dodgers' single-A backup catchers and some taxi driver in Romania by the end of next week
WES2006AG
AG
MaxPower said:

Once they got electronic strikezone it will be less critical for the catcher to give signs at all. He won't need to be in the perfect spot to catch and frame the pitch. Of course there's injury issues and needing to block balls, but I suppose that will be the strategy of it. Have the catcher call the games and risk other team picking off signs? or let the pitcher call his own game and tell the catcher good luck? At least with no men on it would seem feasible for the pitcher to call his own game where past balls aren't an issue, though I imagine the catchers will need to up their game in terms of equipment.
No chance MLB catchers would just let the pitchers pitch without knowing what was coming. You would have broken fingers and hurt umpires almost immediately.
Wabs
AG
safety guy
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Because the Yankees and Red Sox stole it first.
CFTXAG10
AG
First off, if that is correct then obviously the Dodgers are hypocrites (which we kind of knew already). The only discernible difference is that we used a trash can for live relay to the batter, but that doesn't mean that these other teams didn't have methods for relaying info, they just didn't get caught.

And that is still using technology in-game for sign-stealing, which if this article is believed to be true, the Dodgers were doing it in 2018 after the warning from Manfred.
safety guy
AG
Based on the interview that Kershaw gave to sports illustrated, he seemed to have an intimate knowledge of the Astros catchers signs and how they were changing them more frequently. I guess you pick that up with the number of "analysts" they had watching.
Wabs
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

First off, if that is correct then obviously the Dodgers are hypocrites (which we kind of knew already). The only discernible difference is that we used a trash can for live relay to the batter, but that doesn't mean that these other teams didn't have methods for relaying info, they just didn't get caught.

And that is still using technology in-game for sign-stealing, which if this article is believed to be true, the Dodgers were doing it in 2018 after the warning from Manfred.
They wouldn't have been going through all of the trouble with 20 people assigned to the scheme if they weren't somehow taking huge advantage of it (ie....relaying it to the batter....)

Maybe we'd find all the answers if MLB would investigate them..........
. . .
CFTXAG10
AG
You can kind of read between the lines on Clark's answer to the first question. Our players aren't happy that the focus is 100% on them, and he knows other teams/players are doing the same ****

"Theres a lot of availability out there across the league, they (The Astros) understand that at this time and this instance they are the team that has been affected the most"

safety guy
AG
"Affected the most"???? Heck, right now they are the ONLY ones affected. This should not be the Astros cheating scandal, but instead Baseball's cheating scandal.
Ag_07
AG
n_touch said:

irish pete ag06 said:

cpsencik04 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Your devaluing the catcher position doing this. Have a smart catcher is a huge benefit.

I think catchers as game callers are already devalued especially in an organization like the Astros that uses analytics. Hell nowadays they all just look down to a wristband to get info on what to call for each batter.
CFTXAG10
AG
They said the meeting w/ Clark usually goes an hour (he meets with all clubs) - he met with the Astros players today for 3+ hours
Nino Brown
dixichkn said:

So the best ESPN could dredge up last night was Lucroy and some random little league in Pennsylvania?
Wow......losing their mojo. Must be at critical mass already. At its current trajectory we'll be hearing from one of the Dodgers' single-A backup catchers and some taxi driver in Romania by the end of next week
And that's how you know it's all about money without affecting the entire league and it's value. Dig to the bottom of the pit for as many hits as possible.
The Beef01
AG
There's been so much put out there in terms of what was taking place, what prompted which response, etc....so please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Yankees & Red Sox were using Apple Watches and the Yankees relaying information being grabbed by the YES feed (I'm assuming the Red Sox were using a similar system, but it sounds like the Yankees reported the Red Sox for it before it coming out that they were doing it too....a theme emerging, of course) in what was a more high tech version of what the Astros are being crucified for.

The memo comes out in September of 2017, the Astros system continues in September but then we find that it was essentially useless in the playoffs.

So....unless I'm missing something (and I guess I am, b/c there are obvious WTF moments that simply aren't being addressed by the media), doesn't that mean that the Yankees spent 80+% of the season cheating in a more egregious manner than the Astros ever did??

Again, unless I'm missing something, how in the holy Hell does Judge get to go out there; unchallenged; and act like a victim when the crux of his entire MVP competitive season argument is that Altuve was cheating and he was robbed?

I'm not looking for validation on this understanding of the situation.....I'm actually looking for someone to prove to me that the outrage isn't THAT intellectually dishonest.
wangus12
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Oh yeah. Should be "Can't drive on this road due to construction" on most of the signs.
Texaggie7nine
So funny. So many calls for Clark's head now on social media
7nine
Wabs
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
First Page Last Page
Page 167 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.