*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,864 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah they ain't winning shlt as far AS voting goes.

MAYBE someone not on the 2017 team that balls out. Brantley maybe.

But yeah I'd say that's a LONG shot to have a starter on the AS squad.
YNWA_AG
AG
Unless Houston goes ham like Kansas City did for their good teams
astros4545
AG
YNWA_AG said:

I already took two week off work leading up to the game so that I could focus on repeated voting
mazag08
AG
astros4545 said:

YNWA_AG said:

I already took two week off work leading up to the game so that I could focus on repeated voting

I either take two weeks off in April for my son being born.. or I do this. I choose my son.

But..

I'm gonna be holding a garbage can like a catchers mit when he comes out.
Texaggie7nine

Sounds like my hunch was correct.
7nine
JABQ04
AG
mazag08 said:

astros4545 said:

YNWA_AG said:

I either take two weeks off in April for my son being born.. or I do this. I choose my son.

But..

I'm gonna be holding a garbage can like a catchers mit when he comes out.

Congrats.

You could have voted from the hospital though. Between mom, doctors and nurses as a dad your at the bottom of the totem pole for the kid in the hospital. Speaking from experience.
Nino Brown
Isn't JV the only guy to compete against and with the Astros in 17? Wish he'd come out and say what else was going on with other clubs and rumors that year.

I'm assuming it's a "don't add fuel to the fire" mentality at this point and just waited to hear Red Sox info come out. You know damn well it will come out and then be spun back to the Astros with Cora in Houston in 17.
CoachRTM
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

That would be referencing Beltran, correct?
gougler08
AG
CoachRTM said:

Texaggie7nine said:

That would be referencing Beltran, correct?

Well to some extent, everyone was doing it...
Texaggie7nine
As bad as the fallout is on this. How bad would it have been if we won the 2019 WS?
7nine
WES2006AG
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

As bad as the fallout is on this. How bad would it have been if we won the 2019 WS?
Not sure. But I sure wish we got to find out.
safety guy
AG
This is where the main east coast media has their heads so far up their #$%&*es. They can't or more likely wont connect the obvious dots to the Yankees. When crane said that this did not impact the series with the Yankees, well it was a case of beating them the same way they were playing us. But again the media does not look at the yankees offensive splits in that series along with McCann visiting the mound an inordinate number of times as he knew what was going on as an ex yankee. Beltran was said to say the Astros were behind the times with their code breaking. But the media is just crickets. Let's just pin it all on the Astros.
safety guy
AG
Dont underestimate the impact of Verlander right now. He has a tremendous amount of credibility and has played this thing really interestingly. He has dropped hints of other investigations saying this thing is not over. He has the most at stake here as he is the most obvious hall of fame person here with Altuve next. And he is married to a worldwide famous person that relies on positive press coverage. He would be the first one saying to get out of this mess if it were that bad relatively. He knows what is going on in the league.
n_touch
safety guy said:

Dont underestimate the impact of Verlander right now. He has a tremendous amount of credibility and has played this thing really interestingly. He has dropped hints of other investigations saying this thing is not over. He has the most at stake here as he is the most obvious hall of fame person here with Altuve next. And he is married to a worldwide famous person that relies on positive press coverage. He would be the first one saying to get out of this mess if it were that bad relatively. He knows what is going on in the league.
Would you say he is playing it safe?
iBrad
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

This tweet is implying that everyone else wasn't doing it and is pinning it all on the Astros. No one else was banging trash cans, but teams were definitely involved in sign stealing schemes.
Wabs
AG
Most reporters (especially Olney) got their start in the NY market (or that's where they're from). ESPN hires a **** ton of reporters from the NY area. The more they **** on the Astros and refuse to connect the dots to the Yankees, the more their Yankee fanboys are happy.

I'll be interested to see what comes out of the Boston report. I have a feeling they will go very light on them. However, if it's something bad and the Red Sox start getting drug through the mud by the NY media - watch out. Boston is not the kind of organization that will sit there and take it from the NY media. They'll fight back and that's when (I hope) the Yankees start getting exposed for the frauds they are.
Deluxe
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

This seems sort of aligned with some of the stories last week portraying Beltrn as the grand influential force in all this. Those stories quieted down a little bit around the time of our news conference (where our players refused to publicly point the finger at Beltrn) and the Commish interview, but it will be interesting to see if they pick back up.

There seems to be a lot of smoke around the idea that Beltrn is baseball's godfather of sign stealing and MLB could be leaking confidential report details to various journalists to get momentum for an investigation of him personally after the Red Sox investigation concludes.

What power would MLB have over Beltrn to get him to talk and tell the truth? The immunity angle doesn't really work because hes not an active player/coach. IMO they should hang the threat of ban from the game/HOF over his head (like Pete Rose) and then see what he says.
BigPuma
AG
Wabs said:

Most reporters (especially Olney) got their start in the NY market (or that's where they're from). ESPN hires a **** ton of reporters from the NY area. The more they **** on the Astros and refuse to connect the dots to the Yankees, the more their Yankee fanboys are happy.

I'll be interested to see what comes out of the Boston report. I have a feeling they will go very light on them. However, if it's something bad and the Red Sox start getting drug through the mud by the NY media - watch out. Boston is not the kind of organization that will sit there and take it from the NY media. They'll fight back and that's when (I hope) the Yankees start getting exposed for the frauds they are.
I think Boston gets hit harder or as hard as the Astros. Remember, they were directly warned and the reason for the memo in Sept 17 coming out in the first place.

I think when Boston fans realize what the bleep is going to happen to them, then they will burn down both the yankees, dodgers, everyone else, etc. that have solid links.
n_touch
A lot will come down to Cora. The after game interview in London is huge. Hopefully he put enough out there to get the Yanks investigated. Be honest though, true Yankees fans will just say its a smoke show to take some heat off the Astros.
Wabs
AG
BigPuma said:

Wabs said:

I think Boston gets hit harder or as hard as the Astros. Remember, they were directly warned and the reason for the memo in Sept 17 coming out in the first place.

I think when Boston fans realize what the bleep is going to happen to them, then they will burn down both the yankees, dodgers, everyone else, etc. that have solid links.
This is what I've been saying for a while. They are repeat offenders and the main reason for the memo. There really is no excuse for them to get any less than what they Astros got. We'll see.....
Texaggie7nine
Or, no one talks in their club, and the report says there is no conclusive evidence of cheating. They don't have glaring banging in public footage to explain.
7nine
Deluxe
AG
The other thing to watch out for in the Boston investigation is truth telling and consistent stories... and how hard the commish comes down on any attempted cover ups.

Obviously a positive from our report is that every single person interviewed told a consistent account of what happened, which is a good indicator they were telling the truth. If the commish is having to drag out the Boston investigation by going back and re-interviewing guys, that may be a high crime from his POV.
cc10106
Beltran was obviously persuaded to come here by multiple teams and help take down the new emerging power in MLB!

Just kidding.

MLB will do everything to keep this from blowing up. I just don't see it happening, though the public lynching of Houston is getting out of hand quickly.
MaxPower
Dick Justice already said from the Boston investigation a 3rd team will now be investigated (not the crank yankers). I don't know if that's "blowing up" but it's getting harder and harder to say it's isolated. Remember his original comments were it was just the Astros. He's already lost that credibility.
Ag_07
AG
Nino Brown said:

Isn't JV the only guy to compete against and with the Astros in 17? Wish he'd come out and say what else was going on with other clubs and rumors that year.

Then he's a snitch and no better than Fiers.

He's done right by saying wait for more info. He's walking the line by dropping subtle hints without flat out being a whistleblower.
Jackal99
AG
MaxPower said:

Dick Justice already said from the Boston investigation a 3rd team will now be investigated (not the crank yankers). I don't know if that's "blowing up" but it's getting harder and harder to say it's isolated. Remember his original comments were it was just the Astros. He's already lost that credibility.

Richard Justice lost his credibility a long time ago.
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07 said:

Nino Brown said:

Then he's a snitch and no better than Fiers.

He's done right by saying wait for more info. He's walking the line by dropping subtle hints without flat out being a whistleblower.
This. Plus we have no idea what our players told MLB during those interviews that were protected by immunity. Everyone has seen LMJ's tweet following the 2017 postseason about mound visits and how reducing them would make it hard to protect against tech involved sign stealing. Some of these concerns had to be raised during those interviews, and if the line of questioning didn't include, "Well, who specifically were you concerned about?" , then MLB isn't doing their job
Buck Compton
AG
Jackal99 said:

MaxPower said:

Richard Justice lost his credibility a long time ago.
Manfred's credibility
Deluxe
AG
Instead of banning electronic sign stealing in late 2017, I wonder if it would have just been easier for MLB to just install a CF camera in every MLB stadium and relay live feeds into the dugout for all players/coaches to see in real time.

Then there's no sneakiness. No paranoia. Everyone can do it. It's much easier to police relative to the current state of the game. And pitchers/catchers just have to adjust accordingly.
Farmer1906
AG
We'd be better off not using signs. Then there is nothing to steal. Transit the info another way.
Deluxe
AG
Exactly. I think that would be one almost immediate outcome of just saying "stealing signs with cameras is legal and here are the resources to do it." Equal playing field for everyone. Pitchers/catchers would find ways to adjust.
Buck Compton
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We'd be better off not using signs. Then there is nothing to steal. Transit the info another way.
Exactly. It's 2020. Football does it. Not difficult
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I thought about this. What if we use buzzers to TRANSMIT signals to the pitcher (not steal signals). One buzz is fastball, 2 buzz is changeup, etc.
Texaggie7nine
You just need ear pieces in the catcher and pitchers ear. Let the pitching coach have the mic in the dugout.
7nine
Bobby Jimbo
AG
That could work. Pitching coach would probably have to call the pitches with something covering his mouth like a football coach.

First Page Last Page
Page 166 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.