*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,919 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

agproducer said:

The turnover is worrisome -- especially on the baseball side.

The only turnover on the baseball side is Taubman
Not true. There was movement last year and movement again.

Ag_07
AG
I thought you were referring to these recent departures. I had forgot about them

Like I said if we can survive Mejdal and Elias leaving then we'll be fine.

When you're the best you'll always have staff being plucked away.
Deluxe
AG
I think some of these departures seem like normal course of business. Perhaps some were turned off by the club handled the Taubman situation. We had to expect a little bit of movement when the season was over.

Reporters will frame every departure as negatively as possible because they're still upset about Taubman and want to portray a narrative of dysfunction. The good news is business will resume as usual in a few days, player movements will begin and no one will care about any of this stuff.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

I thought you were referring to these recent departures. I had forgot about them

Like I said if we can survive Mejdal and Elias leaving then we'll be fine.

When you're the best you'll always have staff being plucked away.
Patriots model. They're still doing alright after losing McDaniel, Patricia, Crennel, Mangini, O'Brien, etc. And none of those guys excelled without daddy Belichick.
agproducer
AG
I think the losses of Mejdal and Elias were big. But, that was before this season, and things turned out alright.

It just seems like lots of changes are going on. I'm wondering -- especially with the Taubman situation -- if there is an issue with culture.

Maybe I'm reading into this of maybe the news is just over-amplified because the Astros are really good, but it seems like several people are jumping ship. Mejdal left for what seems like a lateral move. Elias had a better opportunity, and others have as well.

It seems like the Taubman cluster happened, and it ended up being like someone lifting a rock and the bugs underneath are scurrying for another place.

Farmer1906
AG
mazag08 said:

Yall are freaking out over nothing.

Now if Luhnow leaves, then you can proceed to melt down.
I agree. Luhnow is the goose that lays the golden eggs, but he needs people around him. He's developed a bunch, but some many have left. It takes time to find the right people and develop them all over again.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
We just need our next fat nerdy wiz kid like Jonah Hill in Moneyball...
Deluxe
AG
agproducer said:

I think the losses of Mejdal and Elias were big. But, that was before this season, and things turned out alright.

It just seems like lots of changes are going on. I'm wondering -- especially with the Taubman situation -- if there is an issue with culture.

Maybe I'm reading into this of maybe the news is just over-amplified because the Astros are really good, but it seems like several people are jumping ship. Mejdal left for what seems like a lateral move. Elias had a better opportunity, and others have as well.

It seems like the Taubman cluster happened, and it ended up being like someone lifting a rock and the bugs underneath are scurrying for another place.

It sounds like three people have left. N Ryan, Rosenbaum and Ocampo. Am I missing anyone? How does that compare to a typical offseason?
. . .
W
AG
nepotism in a professional sports team front office is not unusual
MAROON
AG
W said:

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
iBrad
AG
I think the statement of Reid being able to focus on his other business ventures should not be overlooked.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
iBrad
AG
Ag_07
AG
iBrad said:

I think the statement of Reid being able to focus on his other business ventures should not be overlooked.

Exactly

Doesn't he own and/or run the Express?
astros4545
AG
W said:

Found a picture of Cranes son

agproducer
AG
Deluxe said:

agproducer said:

It sounds like three people have left. N Ryan, Rosenbaum and Ocampo. Am I missing anyone? How does that compare to a typical offseason?
I'm not sure. That's why I said, "Maybe I'm reading into this or maybe the news is just over-amplified because the Astros are really good."

I'm not overly worried, but it doesn't appear to be a good look.
Ag_07
AG
And is Cranes son being groomed for a takeover all that bad?

Crane has proved he's a great owner. Doesn't meddle, spend when it's justified, and is a great ambassador for the org. I don't see it as necccesarily a bad thing if he's hand picking and grooming his successor.
3 Toed Pete
AG
The "new role" and with Nolan leaving, I'd guess Reid tenders his resignation this time next year - or sooner. I hate Nolan not being around the Stros but Crane and Luhnow know what they are doing. They'll be fine.
MAROON
AG
I'm guessing that Nolan hasn't done much of anything with the Astros other than sit at games and be a presence.
Now Reid has been fantastic. Crane's kid gets the keys to a shiny new toy but Dad probably wont let him shift out of first gear for quite some time.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
cap-n-jack
Ag_07 said:

And is Cranes son being groomed for a takeover all that bad?

Crane has proved he's a great owner. Doesn't meddle, spend when it's justified, and is a great ambassador for the org. I don't see it as necccesarily a bad thing if he's hand picking and grooming his successor.

It's not a bad thing to groom him to be CEO. But who is going to be COO. Seems to me Ryan did a good job in that role, this one confuses me a bit.
Ag_07
AG
I'd bet he doesn't even have the keys yet

More like 'Son come to work with me and hang out. C'mon it'll be fun. I'll put you on the payroll.'
bearkatag15
AG

Deluxe
AG
Ag_07
AG
Maybe it has as much to do with Reid as it does Crane.

Maybe Reid wanted to focus on his other endeavors (Express) and told Crane he was resigning. Crane talks him into staying on in a limited role to show his son the ropes. Once Reid had said he wanted out Nolan said the same thing.

Is there anything that indicates this was a Crane decision forced upon either of the Ryans?
bearkatag15
AG
agdaddy04
AG
Greinke won the silver slugger as well
n_touch
We can use Grienke as a pinch hitter and defensive replacement next year
. . .
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...keup-Jim-Crane-s-son-moves-in-as-14818143.php
Quote:

Putting in place an early plan for his succession, Astros owner Jim Crane appointed his son, Jared, to help oversee the franchise's business operations in place of longtime team president Reid Ryan.

"We felt at this time it was time for him to step in," Crane, 65, said Thursday. "I'm past retirement age, and he needs to learn the business if the family is going to retain the team."

Jared Crane, 36, will "assist Jim and his executive team in a broad variety of functions related to the operations of the Astros business," the team said in a statement. Jim Crane said the plan to bring Jared into the franchise was brewing for "about a year." Jim Crane said he told Ryan "months ago" he was considering bringing his son aboard.

"I'm not a spring chicken," Crane said. "I've been working hard for a long time, and in all of my stuff I'm building a succession plan. Baseball requires a plan in place for each team, so we're doing that and planning for the family. It has nothing to do with Reid."

Ryan and Jim Crane met on Monday to finalize the plan. All three men Jim, Jared and Ryan will attend the owner's meetings in Arlington at the end of the month.
Quote:

"I can't speak for Nolan," Crane said Thursday. "I tried to call him and told him today and told him you'll always be welcome at the stadium, and if he chooses not to continue, that's his decision. We weren't going to address that until we got closer to February, and I guess he's done that."
Quote:

Jim Crane said Ryan will continue to aid in alumni relations, do public speaking and "some of the things with the Greater Houston Partnership."

"He just won't be on the point," Crane said. "The executive team will report to me, and Reid and I will continue to work together."

Crane said the change in Ryan's role was not related to the team's awakward handling of the Brandon Taubman outburst at a group of female reporters at the end of the American League Championship Series. Taubman, the team's assistant general manager, was eventually fired and the team apologized for a series of missteps and statements that originally questioned the first story on the outburst.

"Absolutely nothing to do with that," Crane said.
Quote:

"He'll come in and go to meetings," Jim Crane said of his son. "He isn't going to be running the thing. He'll be learning and observing, and I'll be showing him how things work as we go along.

"He'll participate in things and he'll have an office close to me, so we will be able to work together and I'll bring him in so we will be able to work together and eventually assign some things to him."
astros4545
AG
Wish my Dad could hand me down an MLB franchise

Thanks a lot Dad

(Insanely jealous)
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
****ing sounds like he's bringing his pimple face son into the office to shuffle papers they way he is talking about him.
JYDog90
AG
There's an interesting discussion on today's Blum and Blummer podcast with Geoff Blum. Someone asks about the role of an agent in a free agent signing and he talks about how involved the players' union is. They know every offer made and if a front line player wants to take a hometown discount to play for a specific team, the union will step in and push you to another team because you're screwing the market up.

It's at about the 38 min mark into the podcast.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Link?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
willie wonka said:

There's an interesting discussion on today's Blum and Blummer podcast with Geoff Blum. Someone asks about the role of an agent in a free agent signing and he talks about how involved the players' union is. They know every offer made and if a front line player wants to take a hometown discount to play for a specific team, the union will step in and push you to another team because you're screwing the market up.

It's at about the 38 min mark into the podcast.

I think players should be able to agree to any deal they want to, even if that deal if not the largest
agdaddy04
AG
It really is pretty what he can do by fielding his position properly.
First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.