*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,727 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It does kinda make sense that once the competition of hot takes against the Astros starts to go too far, the new hot take will be to defend the Astros or just say it's time to move on. It's all about having hot takes.
Agnzona
What if all of MLB sees a 10 point BA drop this year? Does that mean everyone was stealing signs regularly?
wangus12
AG
I was thinking the same thing last night watching the Cowherd video. Now everyone is going to be saying to let it go and we have to move on.

Just in time for nobody to throw a fit about the Red Sox punishment
Marvin
AG
wangus12 said:

I was thinking the same thing last night watching the Cowherd video. Now everyone is going to be saying to let it go and we have to move on.

Just in time for nobody to throw a fit about the Red Sox punishment

It might die down in general, but it will come back up in the local media on every road trip... certainly every trip to a new city this season. The third trip to Arlington might not be a big deal by then, both because the subject will have been beaten to death and because the Rangers will be fighting Seattle for the ALW cellar.
amercer
AG
After this **** storm, I expect the Red Sox report will be released 2am on a Friday night during the NFL draft...
safety guy
AG
Agnzona said:

What if all of MLB sees a 10 point BA drop this year? Does that mean everyone was stealing signs regularly?

It may be offset by fewer pitchers wanting to use foreign substances on or scuffing the ball. But no telling what ball mlb will have in play. They may use the atomic ball used during last season or they may use the dead ball used during the playoffs.
themissinglink
AG

It's a good thing the Yankees were never caught using something like an Apple Watch or any other use of technology in 2017...
amercer
AG
Yankees going to give back the titles from teams with illegal steroid users?

I guess if MLB wants to go back to every year and decide if that champ actually earned it or not, then have at it.
Buck Compton
AG
Why no direct follow ups to Judge? If I'm a reporter, this is the perfect time to directly confront any potential hypocrisy.

"So To be clear, you're going on the record and claiming that you and your team didn't engage in any similar electronic sign-stealing activities during the 2017 season?" when he gives you a dodgy answer, you can just directly tell him that's what MUST be true if you want the title stripped or if you're saying they didn't earn it. He will predictably go on record saying they're clean.

Then, if anything comes out, he's on record one way or the other. Not even mentioning the steroid era and those Yankee teams.
safety guy
AG
Just wonder if we will ever hear the whole, truthful story from Beltran. There was a reason that McCann kept going to the mound at yankee stadium during the 2017 playoffs. He knew what was going on. And interesting to see the Yankees home/road offensive splits in those playoffs. No one in the media has the guts to bring that up.
n_touch
safety guy said:

Just wonder if we will ever hear the whole, truthful story from Beltran. There was a reason that McCann kept going to the mound at yankee stadium during the 2017 playoffs. He knew what was going on. And interesting to see the Yankees home/road offensive splits in those playoffs. No one in the media has the guts to bring that up.
This. I will give Beltran credit. With as much as his name has been driven through the mud and everything that he has lost in this he has not burned anyone. Pretty impressive.
htxag09
AG
Buck Compton said:

Why no direct follow ups to Judge? If I'm a reporter, this is the perfect time to directly confront any potential hypocrisy.

"So To be clear, you're going on the record and claiming that you and your team didn't engage in any similar electronic sign-stealing activities during the 2017 season?" when he gives you a dodgy answer, you can just directly tell him that's what MUST be true if you want the title stripped or if you're saying they didn't earn it. He will predictably go on record saying they're clean.

Then, if anything comes out, he's on record one way or the other. Not even mentioning the steroid era and those Yankee teams.
Am I mistaken, or aren't all these questions coming from reporters that cover specific teams? If that's the case, as I assume, you damn well know they aren't going to call out their own guys.
the last of the bohemians
It's got to be hard for Bregman to bite his tongue right now.
the last of the bohemians
So how many Astros wear Bonds shoulder pads this year?
Buck Compton
AG
htxag09 said:

Buck Compton said:

Am I mistaken, or aren't all these questions coming from reporters that cover specific teams? If that's the case, as I assume, you damn well know they aren't going to call out their own guys.
There's typically national guys mixed in as well.

But that's one of the things that is frustrating With the double standard... Houston writers WOULD call out one of their own guys.
Deluxe
AG
I get the sense that Bregman is just in full locked in mode right now and totally blocking everything out.
Ag_07
AG
I would just ask him in the most professional manner...

Aaron could you please shed some light to how sign stealing by the 2017 Astros kept you guys from putting the bat on 27 LMJ curveballs?
irish pete ag06
AG
Deluxe said:

I think he's the right guy at the right time.

Yep. 1 year contract too. He's the crusty old boat captain that's weathered a bunch of storms and won't be overwhelmed by this media firestorm.
Nino Brown
themissinglink said:

It's a good thing the Yankees were never caught using something like an Apple Watch or any other use of technology in 2017...
Judge is a grade A dbag. And I'd say the same thing if I were a Yankees fan which I partly grew up as a kid due to my Grandfather.

Judge hit 52 home runs during the 2017 season. Hit 20 once in the minors. Don't talk to me about cheating in 2017 you ass clown.
Aggie521
AG
How bad would it tick off the naysayers if the Astros went out and won the WS this year? Oh please oh please oh please!
cc10106
n_touch said:

safety guy said:

This. I will give Beltran credit. With as much as his name has been driven through the mud and everything that he has lost in this he has not burned anyone. Pretty impressive.
I imagine Beltran wants to get back into MLB at some point, so McCann is probably the best chance.
CFTXAG10
AG
More actual baseball nuggets! Link to McTaggart interview with Strommy in Tweet

Quote:

On Whitley: "I think he's going to be going to Triple-A [Fresno] and put together some numbers, but I am willing to bet we'll see him this year in the big leagues."

astros4545
AG
themissinglink said:

I would hate to hear if any Boone brothers had been busted for steroids

Would break my heart
wangus12
AG
amercer said:

Yankees going to give back the titles from teams with illegal steroid users?

I guess if MLB wants to go back to every year and decide if that champ actually earned it or not, then have at it.
Nah man. Mark Teixeira said this is way worse than that.
Teddy Perkins
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

More actual baseball nuggets! Link to McTaggart interview with Strommy in Tweet

Quote:

On Whitley: "I think he's going to be going to Triple-A [Fresno] and put together some numbers, but I am willing to bet we'll see him this year in the big leagues."

Quote:

Q: Is the No. 5 spot between Josh James and Austin Pruitt at this point?

A: Pruitt, James and I think [Framber] Valdez is still a legitimate guy. I never forget what [Mike] Trout said when he faced Valdez and said it was some of the best stuff he'd seen in baseball. And so that shows what Framber has. It's just a matter of consistency. I think you can probably count [Brad] Peacock out of the race. I think he's more valuable to us in the bullpen, so those are the three guys I think that are vying for that fifth spot. James has been very impressive. Credit to James. All winter long between Dan Howells, [head Minor League] strength conditioning coach, and [bullpen coach] Josh Miller and the stuff we've done on the video, he's transformed his delivery. We utilize Cole as kind of a model to help with control and direction, and he's taking to it quite well.
bearkatag15
AG
Sounds like James is the odds on favorite.

Quote:

James has been very impressive. Credit to James. All winter long between Dan Howells, [head Minor League] strength conditioning coach, and [bullpen coach] Josh Miller and the stuff we've done on the video, he's transformed his delivery. We utilize Cole as kind of a model to help with control and direction, and he's taking to it quite well.

also, I legit got sad reading this.

Quote:

It's a different personality, different way of doing things, but I sense a great deal of respect in that clubhouse for Dusty Baker and as I did with AJ. I will not lie. I miss AJ. I miss being with him on a daily basis and he always gave me respect and a chance to voice my opinion. Whether he listened to it or not was really immaterial more times than not. I thought he did a tremendous job for us for years and really helped get this organization going good. I'm excited work to work with Dusty.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
CFTXAG10
AG
I like the options. I admit I don't know much about Pruitt, but last season it seemed to be mostly between the ears for James and Hurricane Framber. They just need to build some consistency like Strom said.

I wonder if his comment about Whitley making it to the big leagues says more about Forrest or these guys fighting for the 5th spot. Might be reading too much into it either way.
bearkatag15
AG
I prefer James in the bullpen if Whitley ends up being a legit starter this year.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Sounds like James is the odds on favorite.

Quote:

James has been very impressive. Credit to James. All winter long between Dan Howells, [head Minor League] strength conditioning coach, and [bullpen coach] Josh Miller and the stuff we've done on the video, he's transformed his delivery. We utilize Cole as kind of a model to help with control and direction, and he's taking to it quite well.

Definitely not counting any chickens but it would be huge if James takes a big step forward this year. I'll believe it when I see it though.
Farmer1906
AG
James's stuff is so damn good. JV and Greinke won't be here forever. We need to develop other guys. McCullers, James, Whitley, Urquidy are going to be A huge part of our rotation in 2023.
. . .
Lebron has weighed in...

Bulldog73
AG
Yet another arena in which I will choose to disregard everything he says. Spreadsheet updated.
astros4545
AG
. . . said:

Lebron has weighed in...

People who annoy me
YNWA_AG
AG
Shut up and dribble lebron
Unemployed
AG
These guys just need to fight and get it over with.

If you want to throw at our players, then shut up and do it. It's like that one guy who always runs his mouth and when it's time to throw down, he'll let his sister physically hold him back.
First Page Last Page
Page 156 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.