*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,138 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think as fans we want him to but as an owner and business man it doesn't benefit him to raise hell.

And honestly it would actually make him look whiny and butthurt if he started crying about 'Well they did it too. Investigate them. And them too. And them too.'

We did it so just accept it, move on, and make the right moves to build a winner. Which I think he's done. I was really skeptical about Baker but he may end up being a good choice and Click was a HR hire.

Crane isn't dumb. He's the best sports owner this town has ever had and we'll be just fine.

And just for the record...I'm not staying it's right and I agree with the way it's been handled by MLB I'm just saying I get why Crane is approaching this like he is and not burning it to the ground.

He doesn't need to raise hell publicly. He needs to be doing it behind the scenes with MLB.
MaxPower
Correct, that's what I mean. He can't look like a lunatic publically. The "problem" is he seems to want to own the team a long time, so pissing off all the owners isn't in his best interest in that regard. That's why finding information and leaking to the media is the game that should be played. It's dirty but this situation strikes me similar to recruiting in the SEC, it's done in the mud and there ain't no way you're avoiding getting dirty.
Beau Bevers
AG
Atta boy, Olin.

Wabs
AG
agproducer said:

The longer this drags on, the more I'm disappointed in Jim Crane.

His organization is being hung out to dry. He needs to demand answers from MLB. They made reference to other teams in the investigation. Logan Morrison even said other teams are doing it. Crane continues to sit on his hands, at least publicly.

Manfred's interviews show he's content with letting the Astros wear it as a deterrent. If I'm Crane, I'm raising hell. But, he won't. He's been a ***** this whole time. Defend your organization! Yes, they cheated, but the problem goes much deeper in MLB. STAND UP FOR YOUR CLUB.

This whole investigation stinks. Red Sox will get a slap on the wrist.

1000X this. MLB mentioned other teams in the report. Everyone with a brain knows other teams were doing it.

WHERE ARE THE INVESTIGATIONS????

STAND UP FOR YOUR ****ING TEAM.
dixichkn
AG
Wabs.......I feel ya. 1000%. But just follow me on this.

IT.

AINT.

HAPPENING.

If Manfred were even remotely interested in getting to the bottom of all the accusations and innuendo that was flying around like popcorn from a skillet the last 3 years, he'd have already issued a behind-the-scenes STFU to the media and the players union to keep the yapping to a minimum lest the whole thing become a web of guilty hypocrites. All they've done the last couple of weeks (especially since the Crane dog and pony show the other day) is just double down and ratchet it up even louder.

It's over. The whipping boy has been whipped, and will continue to be whipped to the East/West coast media's satisfaction. Manfred is their little b****. Not the other way around. He's toothless and spineless. All we can do is just ride out the year, maybe even just a portion of the year (the Astros after all are just the scandal-du-jour and the storm will pass shortly since the public collectively has the attention span of a hyperactive 3 year old). Y'all talk about the Red Sox just getting a slap on the wrist.......I doubt they even get THAT much. Let's just own it, put on the black hat and hopefully this team has the wherewithal to drop another pennant on the hater's asses.
MaxPower
I wouldn't say Manfred is their b****. In the grand scheme of things, having the media JUST jump on one franchise, specifically one that isn't a blue blood, is the best case scenario for him. He wouldn't have even gone after Boston if not for the "unfortunate" connection to Cora.

It's steroids all over. Stick with the story that it's isolated, bury head in sand, and hope no one discovers otherwise. MLB always underestimated the media. Right now the media has no reason to investigate. They're sharks with a nice fat humpback whale carcass to eat but eventually that carcass will be consumed and another meal must be found.
agproducer
AG
I'm all for investigating the other teams, but how does MLB get accurate investigations? With the Astros, players were given immunity to talk. Well, media and fans want the players punished. MLB may not be able to do that with other investigations. Players may clam up, and the MLB gets nothing. Short of an independent investigation where possible civil or criminal charges are leveled, I'm not sure what the MLB can do.

Either way, players need to STFU. I guarantee you that some of the guys talking aren't clean.

Manfred said the MLB wouldn't have pursued this so hard if it wasn't for Mike Fiers. I'm really curious as to why he wanted to **** over the entire Astros team more than two years after the championship. He got a ring. He got a bonus. He showed on social media how proud he was of it. He participated it the parade. Why now? I don't buy the nobility angle. If he was so disturbed by the trash can banging, he should have said something in 2017. Again, what was his real motivation?

MaxPower
There will be another Fiers or a guy who doesn't last in the league who wants the Bolsinger 15 seconds of fame.

I tend to agree that no player is taking immunity going forward. Have your ring tarnished and get berated by media, fans and even other players? They'd probably prefer to roll the dice and see what Manfred dares to do if they don't talk.
. . .
Frok
AG
Are these guys ever going to leave them alone? My goodness.

Buck Compton
AG
No ***** **** the media.

Manfred brought all this on by his ****ty investigation of only one team. He delayed the Red Sox punishment until after Spring Training started. They're not having to deal with any of this *****

I won't even go into the other teams that need to be investigated, but the one open investigation in Boston isn't getting any kind of attention. Even when it does, it'll be "Cora brought this with him from the well-documented Astros' scheme", "they fired the manager in advance, showing how contrite they are". Just wait.
Ag_07
AG
Frok said:

It's gonna be like this for a good while into the season.

And I mentioned it earlier but I was not a fan at all of the Baker hire but seeing this **** storm I think it was a good call.

Could you imagine being a first time manager having to deal with all this while running your first ST?
Deluxe
AG
Yep. That was always my thought.
redline248
AG
I've already seen at least one article, that I didn't read - f them, that was going after the Astros for keeping a majority of the staff that worked under Lunhow. That's probably going to pick up steam at some point.
Marvin
AG
The first 2020 trip to every stadium will be bad, and each division return trip will be bad... so, like 100% of the 81 road games will be very hostile from both fans and the away media.

On the other hand, who worries about distant enemies with local meatheads like Chandler Rome?!
dixichkn
AG
So, the "expert panel" weighing in this morning on whether the Astros should be decapitated publicly or just quietly strapped to the gurney and given the needle in the back room........3 former NFL hacks, Doris Burke the NBA chick, Laura Rutledge (who, sorry, I will never disparage)....and Greenberg. Yeah. Experts one and all.

Can't wait to see what today's selection of juicy little tidbits is. Yu Darvish's wife says he's been on suicide watch the last 2 seasons? Houston area kids claim Correa sprinkled cyanide on their Halloween candy? Crane covered up a drug smuggling conviction from Venezuela on Altuve's visa application? The world waits with bated breath..........
Beat40
Frok said:

Eh, they just want anything that will hurt Altuve and the team, honestly. They are trying to catch everyone in a lie so they can use it as some sort of circumstantial evidence to undermine the MLB report that we weren't cheating in 2018 or 2019.

Plus, the tattoo story gets clicks.
agproducer
AG
Quick sidebar: Does anyone else think it is funny the Astros=Cheaters thread has almost as many posts as the Rangers offseason thread? Rangers fans appear to be more interested in what we are doing compared to their own team.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

The first 2020 trip to every stadium will be bad, and each division return trip will be bad... so, like 100% of the 81 road games will be very hostile from both fans and the away media.

On the other hand, who worries about distant enemies with local meatheads like Chandler Rome?!

I'm only doing Arlington this year. Figured there will be enough astros fans there it won't be as bad
Frok
AG
Beat40 said:

Frok said:

Eh, they just want anything that will hurt Altuve and the team, honestly. They are trying to catch everyone in a lie so they can use it as some sort of circumstantial evidence to undermine the MLB report that we weren't cheating in 2018 or 2019.

I don't understand the tattoo issue. Are they claiming Altuve got a tattoo in the spot where a buzzer would be so he could say it was a tattoo and not a buzzer?

expresswrittenconsent
agproducer said:

Quick sidebar: Does anyone else think it is funny the Astros=Cheaters thread has almost as many posts as the Rangers offseason thread? Rangers fans appear to be more interested in what we are doing compared to their own ****ty team.

I think this sort of encourages the non astros trash ppl to return to this thread and talk smack like last week.
htxag09
AG
Frok said:

Beat40 said:

Frok said:

I don't understand the tattoo issue. Are they claiming Altuve got a tattoo in the spot where a buzzer would be so he could say it was a tattoo and not a buzzer?

Correa said part of the reason Altuve didn't want his shirt ripped off is he has an ugly ass tattoo.
astros4545
AG
Frok said:

Beat40 said:

Frok said:

It's the second stupidest theory after the Reddick confetti fiasco
bearkatag15
AG
aTm2004
AG
Frok said:

Beat40 said:

Frok said:

Correa stated that on-top of Altuve's Latina wife not wanting her man to be shirtless on TV in front of the world, that he also had an unfinished tattoo that looked like ass. Jomboy and other Yankee/Dodger dumbasses went to his IG account and pulled a pic with Altuve shirtless at the beach from last summer and tried to say what Correa stated was a lie. It's like someone can't get a tattoo in 4 months. People quickly began posting a pic from the '19 WS where you could see part of the tattoo while Altuve was doing Altuve things. Jomboy is a ****ing partisan idiot and I'd love nothing more than Altuve to get enough and get his legal team to go after him for slander, because the dude just posts random **** without vetting it.
Harry Dunne
Jomboy was great before he became "famous".

Now he's just another attention hoar.

Frok
AG
Got it. So the theory is proved false yet this story will probably continue on because nobody in the media will say that theory is bunk.

Baseball reporters are something else.
Harry Dunne
Now that everyone can be a "journalist", the ethical standards for reporting are somewhere between those of posting on the Texags GB and the baseball forum.
JABQ04
AG
Yep. I used to love his videos where he broke down fights, ejections, temper tantrums on the field. Now I just find him a ****ing insufferable dip-***** **** him
irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Frok said:

It's gonna be like this for a good while into the season.

And I mentioned it earlier but I was not a fan at all of the Baker hire but seeing this **** storm I think it was a good call.

Could you imagine being a first time manager having to deal with all this while running your first ST?

Absolutely
Big Cat `93
AG
Hear hear. I think Dusty is the perfect guy to deal with this and capitalize on an us vs. them situation with this team. Gibbons probably would have been good at that, too, but his results just can't compare with Baker's.
Big Cat `93
AG
They're some of the most pretentious people on the planet.
aTm2004
AG
Frok said:

Got it. So the theory is proved false yet this story will probably continue on because nobody in the media will say that theory is bunk.

Yep.
irish pete ag06
AG
aTm2004 said:

Frok said:

Yep.

Seriously Jomboy is Alex Jones and running baseball infowars and "real" media laps it up.
AggieLit
I think the Astros this year might be a bit like Johnny Manziel in 2013. They will generate ticket sales everywhere they go. They will have higher tv ratings than possibly any other team, certainly higher than the Nationals. Most people will hate them but a significant minority will love them. And they will light it up, week in, week out.
First Page Last Page
Page 150 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.