*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,586 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggies2009 said:

I think it's pretty easy to infer and understand Crane meant it didn't effect the outcome of the series. That's evident by his "clarification" when he said "I didn't say it effected the game."

Stupid of CBS Sports to play that game.
Ft.Worth_Ag
AG
Aggies2009
AG
Beat40 said:

Stupid of CBS Sports to play that game.
You mean literally quoting what the man said?
Noble07
AG
Eh, why don't the Astros just start leaking all of the dirt on other teams? Leak what they know about the Yankees, etc.

Crane needs to grow a backbone and stand his ground. He's totally inept at leading this franchise through a crisis.
YNWA_AG
AG
Beltran basically said he got the idea from people inside the Yankees clubhouse. Look at his stats when he was on the Yankees compared to the years before. You're delusional if you think the Yankees weren't cheating as well
Deluxe
AG
astros4545 said:

Deluxe said:

Pretty easy to spot the lurkers from other teams who don't ever post on this thread...

Southern Oklahoma fan has been flagged and blocked
Good call. Just flag the trolls.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Deluxe said:

There were four games at MMP that series and the Yankees scored a grand total of three runs in those games.

And they scored 19 runs in three games at Yankee stadium against those same pitchers. But it's only the Astros home/road splits that get talked about.
Chef Elko
AG
We lost to Boston in 18. The whole fan base isn't complaining about that. Flags fly forever.
safety guy
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Beat40 said:

Ft.Worth_Ag said:

agproducer said:

Ft.Worth_Ag said:

Astros cheated plain and simple. WS Title stripped, move on.
You can GTFO.
Its the truth. Lets say the Astros lost to the Yankees in the ALCS, they were doing the exact same thing the '17 Astros were doing, and they went on to win the world series, you and the whole fan base would be up in arms. True?
This argument is so freaking tired. So freaking tired.

Have you been reading our thread or just today? If you've been reading, you know for a fact we've all agree we cheated. This is literally not a debate. We just want justice for the other teams who also cheated at this point.

Of course we would be up in arms if the roles were reversed. I can only answer for myself, but I certainly would not be calling for the WS title to be stripped if the roles were reversed. What good does that do?

One of the most prolific WS homeruns ever by the NY Giants, in 1954 in game 1, is well known to have had sign-stealing involved in that AB. The NY Giants went on to win the WS. Should that WS be stripped?
Lmao the Giants didn't use technology to do it. How hard is this to understand?

They used technology for the time.
iBrad
AG
Here are the stats from the 2017 ALCS. The first chart is overall. The second isolates the pitching matchups that occurred at both venues. If you just looked at these stats, which team looks like the team that might have been cheating during home games?

agproducer
AG
The trolls from other teams are out in full force today.

Rangers fans, save your sanctimonious bull***** Your team had opportunities to win a WS and couldn't close the deal. You are now mired in mediocrity. Enjoy.

Cards fans, your team was busted for hacking. Hacking! You have no ground to stand on.

Yankees fans, wait for the investigation to come your way. If Manfred had balls, you guys would already be under investigation.

This thread is for Astros fans. You want to talk ****, go to other threads.

**** all this trolling.

Deluxe
AG
Just flag the trolls
CFTXAG10
AG
Mathguy64
AG
For all you rangers/cards/dodgers/Yankees whatever fans new to this these boards are not rivalry threads. Staff has made that very clear over the years and posting smack/trolling or even just plain posting arguments on a thread like this is a bannable offense.

Fair warning. If y'all get hammered its on you.
CoachRTM
AG
I don't feel bad in any way, shape or form. It doesn't taint the championship in any way to me. I'll wear that merchandise proudly until the day I die.

Every team was trying to get the signs however they could, we were either better at it, or we just happened to have the one ***hole who decided to talk about it after changing teams.

This apology PC is weak and forced. You can tell there is an aura of "everyone did it, but we can't talk about that" around the whole deal.
SquirrellyDan
AG
CoachRTM said:

I don't feel bad in any way, shape or form. It doesn't taint the championship in any way to me. I'll wear that merchandise proudly until the day I die.

Every team was trying to get the signs however they could, we were either better at it, or we just happened to have the one ***hole who decided to talk about it after changing teams.

This apology PC is weak and forced. You can tell there is an aura of "everyone did it, but we can't talk about that" around the whole deal.
Agree 100%. I hate the apologies. So forced and awkward.

Honestly, I'm still glad this all came out. I'm giddy about this season and haven't felt like this since we finally got over the hump and won it all.
CFTXAG10
AG
CoachRTM said:

This apology PC is weak and forced.
Which is why I wish they never would have done it in the first place, but damned if you do and damned if you don't. I saw something earlier that was spot on:

Media: Astros should apologize
Astros: Apologize
Media: Not that apology, a different one!

Quote:

You can tell there is an aura of "everyone did it, but we can't talk about that" around the whole deal.
Absolutely, piece together the responses and they are all extremely similar when asked about other teams doing it. They were either told it was part of their immunity by MLB or at the team meeting with Crane/Dusty.

Mathguy64
AG
It's like the snap never happened in Endgame.
CFTXAG10
AG
Marvin
AG
And stay away!
(haha)
Wabs
AG
I love how the media and pitch fork mob have all been *****ing about the Astros not saying anything. Then when they do they get hammered even worse. WTF do you want them to say?? How about just shutting the **** up and playing baseball.

And Yankees fans - I've seen many of them just assuming the Astros were cheating in 2018 and 2019 (even though MLB found no evidence). Ok, if you think they cheated in 18 and 19, then YOU have a cheater on your current roster and you're paying him a pant load of money. You can't hammer JV and pretend Cole knew nothing about it. Self righteous a-holes.
dixichkn
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

bearkatag15 said:

Harold Reynolds on MLB Network bashing the small amount of time Altuve and Bregman were made available.

Funny, I don't recall a long, sincere apology when he had his little incident. Either he didn't provide one or it wasn't very memorable.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Texaggie7nine
So there we have it.

They had the trash can at the ready during the playoffs but it was almost impossible to steal signs because the pitchers in postseason changed up signals so much that they couldn't use it in the playoffs.
7nine
aTm2004
AG
I just want one of them to say what we all know to be true..."If you want me to apologize for the league then I will, but if you want me to apologize for the Astros, EAD."
TXAG14
wangus12
AG
Deluxe
AG

I liked this JV clip. Reporter asked if he has any remorse towards Yankees/Dodgers and JV says no. Then follows up by basically saying let's just wait until all the information is out there.

I still think its possible the reason we're taking it on the chin and acting apologetic is because there is a vindication day on the horizon.
03_Aggie
aTm2004 said:

I just want one of them to say what we all know to be true..."If you want me to apologize for the league then I will, but if you want me to apologize for the Astros, EAD."

I just wanted one of them to do an interview either wearing their WS ring or standing next to the trophy. Come on boys, let's do this the right way!
Texaggie7nine
03_Aggie said:

aTm2004 said:

I just wanted one of them to do an interview either wearing their WS ring or standing next to the trophy. Come on boys, let's do this the right way!
To me that's saying "Doesn't matter, won a WS". And that implies, "well ya maybe our cheating won our WS but who cares, we still have it!"

I don't agree with that. I do not see that the banging won us a WS. Carlos even said they didn't use it in the postseason.

So I like that they are addressing it and being honest.
7nine
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
After today we (the team) should never talk about it again.
. . .
"We're always going to be World Series champs because we were talented and to me, we earned the right to be World Series champs."

Just because stuff came out about the 2017 Astros doesn't mean other teams weren't doing illegal stuff. It just means that we were the ones that were I guess caught."

Deluxe
AG
Carlos did a good job of articulating something that is getting lost in all this: It's one thing to steal signs and relay them against the futile White Sox in a meaningless September game with 15k moderately interested fans in the ballpark. It's a totally different thing to steal them from a team that basically knows you're doing it, is using complex sign schemes/changing them frequently, in a highly critical game, in a ballpark with 45k screaming fans.

The Astros didn't have the ability to just pull it off whenever they wanted to. There were times of varying confidence levels. And the confidence level would need to be reasonably high for a hitter to even bother with it. Otherwise he's much better off taking a normal approach at the plate. No one wants the fastball sign relayed when the curveball is coming. And that's not even mentioning the fact that MLB increasingly had officials in the dugouts/hallways to make sure it wasn't happening.

So the idea that they were just going to keep cheating until they got caught is kinda short sighted. It seems like the strategy ran it's natural course and died out.
CFTXAG10
AG
Keuchel coming with the truth!
First Page Last Page
Page 138 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.